What's new
World Wide Stereo

$5.98 sale at Deep Discount (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A favorite of my wife's is on that list! Harry and Walter Go to New York (Elliott Gould, James Caan & Michael Caine).

Odd. It says its release date is 3/21/06.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I found 8 possible purchases, though I wonder if we'll see even lower prices on them as 3/21/06 rolls around.

Many were movies I meant to check out, but have yet:

(Update, found and ordered 10 more titles for a total of 18)
SPIDER
ENIGMA (SE)
RETURNER
NIL BY MOUTH
RAISING VICTOR VARGAS
THE DREAMLIFE OF ANGELS
THE LOSS OF SEXUAL INNOCENCE
ZHOU YU'S TRAIN
BAADASSSSS!
JAPANESE STORY (SE)
THE BIG PICTURE
TIME CODE
TIME & TIDE
ONCE A THIEF
MY WIFE IS AN ACTRESS
LOVING
VANYA ON 42ND STREET
SAFE

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
According to posts at DVDTalk by representatives of both DDD and Digital Eyes (which is having a similar sale), all of the titles included in the sale have been discontinued by Sony (I'm assuming effective 3/21, since that's the "availability date" listed at both sites) - so I wouldn't expect any further discounts on them.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
This is a great sale! I picked up:

Spider
Enigma
Nil By Mouth
Carandiru
I Capture the Castle
California Split
Dreamlife of Angels
Big Brass Ring
Safe
Bonjour Tristesse
The Harder they Fall
Innocence
Fat City

Not bad for $77!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Damn! there are actually some fine films on there for a change.
i counted 14 i may be interested in- the only question i have, these being Sony titles, any chance they will be full frame re-issues (something Sony has been known for in the past with regards to the Wal-mart bin offerings for roughly the same retail price)?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

A legitimate concern, Paul. I know I checked on the AR of Harry & Walter...before I pulled the trigger. The description said widescreen. I've never seen this movie in widescreen. I cannot tell you how many times I've sat through the Beta copy I made of this off-air back in the mid-1980s! :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
even though i've never seen H&WGTNY, i've remembered it to this day because the ad for it was on the back side of another ad i had cut out of the newspaper way back in '76 (or early '77). I've read bad reviews of it, but for $6 i'll give it a shot to satisfy nostaligic curiousity.

the rest of the order:
Betty Blue-Directors Cut
Bon Voyage
Obsession
Lord Jim
Mr. Sardonicus
Die Die My Darling
They Came To Cordura
Bonjour Tristesse
Dead Heat On A Merry-Go-Round

if any of these do turn out to be full frame, they're going back- it still chaffes me to see Gidget in that sale and know that one is pan & scanned.

was going to pick up Divorce American Style, but it's not OAR, and may not even be open matte

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Picked up these from DDD:
Fat City
The Harder They Fall
Betty Blue

Found out that Digital Eyes features some titles not on DDD's list and check of their site bears this out. Have since heard good things about Experiment in Fear on the Mobius board--any fans here?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
did you mean Experiment in Terror?
if so- i was excited to see it, but was disappointed. i'm trying to remember exactly what left me unsatisfied, and not sure but think that it had to do with how dated it felt.
around the same time i watched Kiss Me Deadly for the first time and the difference between the two was stark. KMD still feels vigourous and contemporary, while EIT feels tepid and quaint. the police procedural aspects are conveyed with didactic expostion in the film, which may have been neccessary when the film was first made, but now come across as silly and very un-sophisticated. also, there is a very neutered feeling to the villians threats. i believe at one point Stephanie Powers is stripped to her skivvies, but other than that the sense of 'terror' barely rises above kids afternoon tv level suspense.

i was very disappointed in it, considering the cast and my fondness for the era depicted.

but then on the other hand, thats just my opinion and $6 isn't a whole lot to gamble.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I ordered 8:

Broken Wings
Monsieur Ibrahim
Safe
Dreamlife of Angels
Haiku Tunnel
The Man Without a Past
Twin Falls Idaho
Manny & Lo

All blind buys, though I have read enough about them all to interest me (Twin Falls Idaho due to Northfork from the same directors, Safe for the same reason), and most are still fairly pricey elsewhere, or at least more than $6.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Obsession is now showing up as cancelled on some peoples order histories (mine included). ah well. it was an impulse buy i probably didn't need anyway.

placed another small order this morning;

The Big Picture
Manny & Lo
Gas, Food, and Lodging

sale was supposed to be over on Monday, so we'll see if these actually go thru.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The sale is still coming up in a pop-up at DDD website. No mention of an expiration date, just a disclaimer that supplies were limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale