What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A Walk Among the Tombstones -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A great title. There really aren't that many of them, when you think about it.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is another.

I'm playing catch-up, and finally made my way to Walk.

A good Neeson vehicle, with a side-kick that takes me back, strangely, to Short Round, only lacking the humor.

The overriding factor with this film, that immediately caught my eye, was the cinematography, that was...

different.

Reminded me in some ways of Gordon Willis, with its play of light and shadow.

You've probably seen Mihai Malaimare's work before -- Youth Without Youth, Tetro, Twixt, The Master.

There's something special there. Take a look and you'll see it.

A good film, worthy of one's two hour investment.

Shot with an Alexa Plus, and finished as a 2k DI (noted some scenes in 5k).

As it's data to data, obviously a very nice Blu-ray from Universal.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
RH on a Liam Neeson kick. I'm a fan. At some point, my fandom of his is like mine for John Wayne or somebody like that -- I watch these movies in the mode of "I'm watching a Liam Neeson movie." His oevrrrre has a multiplication effect that enables me to enjoy a movie that is not an ambitious 10/10, but still a good sensory experience.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I really like the "gravitas" that Mr Neeson can and does bring to his "action" movies (even if some of them does get a bit silly aka Taken 2/3) to supplement his dramatic roles which are a joy to watch (e.g. Five Minutes Of Heaven, Michael Collins) or his mid-action roles( e.g. Seraphim Falls ). I love the look of this movie as it adds a significant "character" to the movie.

Regards,

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I took the occasion of this thread bump to finally watch Run All Night (2015). I'll let you know how it goes. So far so good.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Run All Night was excellent. The same tight plotting and emotional through-line as Non-Stop (same director), with a good (if a little over-the-top) score. Liam Neeson is not just playing a shoot-em-up protagonist these days, but really he keeps playing the guy who's life didn't go like he'd imagined, use his skills to make good in the final act. A worthy effort. Only disappointment to me was the casting of his son -- Joel Kinnaman had no real screen presence or chops (to me).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks