What's new

A few words about...™ - Black Panther: Wakanda Forever -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I love this film. It is without question one of my favorite movies of last year. But if the beginning and middle of the film are not for you, nothing in the last half hour will fundamentally change your mind about it. And that's fine.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I concur with RAH's take on the film. I sympathize with the filmmakers and cast for making the film under impossible circumstances, but the film is a mess, incongruously shifting between palpable grief and bog-standard MCU escapism that, understandably, feels phoned-in. The "show must go on" ethos is more depressing than inspiring here.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
As much as I like the character, I was one who found the 1st film unmemorable and slow. Probably the only Marvel film I didn't like at all so from what I'm reading here this one sounds like a safe pass for me. But Happy for those who enjoy it.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I don't think it's simple at all. The cast and crew are all industry professionals, but they are also human beings in mourning for the sudden loss of their friend and collaborator during the making of this film. I understand why some people wanted T'Challa to be recast, but I also understand why the filmmakers would make the choice not to do that.
It's not like other characters in the books haven't worn the mantle of the Black Panther -- including the one who ends up donning it for this film. So it was perfectly natural to take things a different direction after Boseman passed. People forget that actual comic books tend to be far more fluid than the movies are. Steve Rodgers hasn't been the only Captain America, Dick Grayson hasn't been the only Robin, T'Challa hasn't been the only Black Panther, and so on, and so on. The actual holders of the intellectual property are far less worked up about that kind of thing than some moviegoers seem to be.

Personally, I loved the way that they handled Boseman's death, both on screen and off. The whole pre-credit sequence was strikingly meta in the way that it memorialized both the fictional T'Challa and the real Chadwick Boseman. Even the Marvel logos got into the act.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought it was better than the first one, even if some of the characters acted like assholes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks