What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Days of Thunder — in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I generally read reviews after I see a film, as I prefer to go in cold. My go-to is usually a combination of the trades, NY Times and Roger Ebert.
For this one, Roger was absolutely on track.

Go here:

Day of Thunder is an entertaining Tom Cruise re-hash, using all of the normal identifiable factors in his other films of the era. On top of that, it has style galore, as it's Tony Scott, which means smoke, quick cutting, and gradient filters.

Simpson / Bruckheimer, Robert Towne.

A big Hollywood production.

And it looks superb via Paramount's new 4k mit HDR, probably l because it's based upon a 4k DI, even though the production
photography isn't extremely highly resolved. There are occasional shots that pop, but most of what you'll see is because of the
added contrast from HDR. Black levels are wonderful.

Image – 5 (HDR10) – perfect in projection

Audio – 5 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Recommended

RAH

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
A guilty pleasure of mine, I love this film. Some great performances, especially from Duvall here. Got it today, and took it for a "test drive". Love the grittiness of it, and the 4K resolves that gritty texture and grain very nicely. Definitely not one for dislikers of grain. It's nice to see they haven't "cleaned it up", as I think this grittiness was the intent of Tony Scott and Ward Russell, the DP (who's name sounds like it could be a character/driver in the film ;)

Reactions: PMF

Mark VH

Second Unit
There was a time back when I was 11 or 12 that I must have watched Days of Thunder every day for a good year straight. Had the Game Boy game (which was awful) and the remote control Mellow Yellow car (which gave you a good 15 minutes until the batteries drained). Always preferred it to Top Gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks