What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Gravity (redux) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Gravity has been released in various editions inclusive of 3-D and one of (if not the) earliest Atmos mix. The special Atmos edition was designed within a gorgeous acrylic folding case, which one should presume is now hitting six figures at auction.

Gravity, directed and purportedly written by Alfonso Cuaron and Jonas Cuaron is a fine film, but there are what I believe to be inaccuracies in the credits.

Tess Gerritsen is nowhere to be found.

If one reads her novel, strangely entitled "Gravity," probably best known for Rizzoli & Isles, you're going to find more than the basic concept of the motion picture.

Ms Gerritsen's work was optioned and eventually purchased by New Line, and when New Line was purchased by WB, her book went along with the deal.

But then things went south.

I'm linking pages which give her side of the story, and I believe her 100%.

https://www.tessgerritsen.com/blog/...t-affects-every-writer-who-sells-to-hollywood

Legally, courts have found that WB has the right to do what they've done. I question the morality. And there's still time to make amends.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Did I mention that this release is a great and inexpensive means of obtaining this important Atmos mix?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For a long time, this title was rumored to be coming out on 4K/UHD. I wonder what happened?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is this a late April 1 post? I don’t understand. What’s Gravity (redux)? There’s no link to a movie? So confused. 🫤

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I've been a fan of Gerritsen's novels for about the last 15-20 years. Gravity was probably my favorite of her books, and I remember thinking at the time that it would make a hell of a movie. I also recall thinking initially that Cuaron's movie was indeed based on Gerritsen's book. But when I saw the film, it didn't strike me at all like it was copied from her book. Yes, there are similarities, but not, I thought, to the point where I'd say they ripped off her work. On the other hand, it's possible that someone working for Warner came across information regarding the aborted plan to film Gerritsen's book, and figured that making something similar but not quite the same would be on their side on the legal line. But even if they made what they thought were sufficient changes to make it a "new" work, if they got the idea for it because of the contract she had with New Line, it's certainly unethical to go ahead with it without engaging her in any capacity.

I recall a similar instance back in the late 70s. Harlan Ellison and Ben Bova co-wrote a short story called "Brillo", about a robot policeman ("Brillo"..."steel fuzz"...). Ellison then tried to pitch it to some studios as a TV series. One of those studios was Paramount, but they decided to pass on it. About a year later, Paramount comes out with a new TV series for ABC with the same premise, called Future Cop. Ellison and Bova successfully sued Paramount over it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What is different on this new release as compared to the original Blu-ray Warner Bros. released ten years ago?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So what is the OP about and what’s it have to do with this? Shouldn’t it link to the this movie release? I’m really confused by this thread. :emoji_upside_down:
It’s a new, more moderately priced version of the older 2-disc set, still with both discs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So what is the OP about and what’s it have to do with this? Shouldn’t it link to the this movie release? I’m really confused by this thread. :emoji_upside_down:

I believe RAH is using the upcoming reissue as a platform to point out an allegation by a novelist that the studio allegedly used her idea without providing credit or compensation.

The Diamond Lux edition of Gravity has been long out of print and had been the only home video source for both the Atmos track and the “silent space version” alternate audio track, and it’s fetched massive prices on the resale market - this edition should be welcome news to 2D viewers who wish to have those audio options at a more reasonable price point.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Also, for those pining for a 4K release, I would point out that Gravity was shot with Arri Alexa 2.8K cameras and was finished on a 2K Digital Intermediate.

That's not to say that it couldn't be upscaled to 4K, or that such an upscale wouldn't potentially benefit from HDR or Wide Color Gamut. Just that one should keep their expectations in check.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So little of this film was actually shot - it’s mostly photorealistic animation. It’s incredibly well done but I think a lot of people were fooled into thinking more of it was shot than actually was. Pretty much the only live action elements with the exception of a few key moments are just the actors’ faces, which were photographed in a confined light controlled space and then added to the digital spacesuits.

It’s also a fantastic example showing that the number of “K”s a film has isn’t really relevant to its overall visual quality. This is a 2K film and the filmmakers and studio felt that was more than sufficient to show it in IMAX, on the worlds biggest screens. Over $1 million of its grosses came from IMAX’s flagship location in Lincoln Square (New York City) alone. If 2K was sufficient for 100-foot screens, surely it’s enough for home viewers as well.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
It’s also a fantastic example showing that the number of “K”s a film has isn’t really relevant to its overall visual quality. This is a 2K film and the filmmakers and studio felt that was more than sufficient to show it in IMAX, on the worlds biggest screens. Over $1 million of its grosses came from IMAX’s flagship location in Lincoln Square (New York City) alone. If 2K was sufficient for 100-foot screens, surely it’s enough for home viewers as well.
Well, quite. But 2K from a DCP is not 2K from a blu-ray disc. Gravity was the very first title I watched on my (then) new 1080p projector system, in 2015. I was a bit disappointed. On a 130 inch screen at home, it was obvious that my 2K system couldn't compete with what I'd seen projected from digital 2K Christie projectors from a DCP at the cinema. The picture wasn't as highly resolved and the colours/black-levels were quite inferior.

However, two years later, 4K home projection from a well-mastered disc, pretty much equalled what a cinema can do, in terms of picture quality. Upscaled on my current system, the blu-ray disc still shows its limits.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also, for those pining for a 4K release, I would point out that Gravity was shot with Arri Alexa 2.8K cameras and was finished on a 2K Digital Intermediate.

That's not to say that it couldn't be upscaled to 4K, or that such an upscale wouldn't potentially benefit from HDR or Wide Color Gamut. Just that one should keep their expectations in check.
Who is pining for a 4K release? I’m the only person that commented that a 4K release was rumored for a long time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What is different on this new release as compared to the original Blu-ray Warner Bros. released ten years ago?
On further investigation, I just checked out my 02-25-14 BD release which was the first Blu-ray release of Gravity. It has three discs which includes one DVD and two Blu-rays. Of the two Blu-rays, one is 3-D and the other 2-D. However, the best audio option is DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. There is plenty of bonus material.
1714297260227.png

Warner released another Blu-ray release on 03-31-15 that Josh Steinberg noted in one of his posts which is the Diamond Luxe Edition. This release has 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos audio option which is different than the first Blu-ray release. Also, this release only has a 2-D video presentation without any 3-D presentation. So, you get Dolby Atmos audio, but no 3-D. Furthermore, there is some new bonus material on this release that wasn't on the 02-25-14 BD release. All of the bonus material on that first BD release is on the 03-31-15 release.
1714296755320.jpeg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It’s a new, more moderately priced version of the older 2-disc set, still with both discs.

@Robert Harris

Can you confirm if both 2-D and 3-D discs have Dolby Atmos audio on them? Did you notice any bonus material?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks