What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Abyss -- in 4k UHD (13 Viewers)

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
It appears that they do, in a similarly slightly altered form as was done for the DVD. The content is there, but the accessibility has naturally been altered a bit.
Thanks, I assume you're discussing the extras?

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Thanks, I assume you're discussing the extras?
The LD extras that you refer to in your last sentence, yes. They're detailed elsewhere. I don't have the disc in my hands yet, but someone else from our site does.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I braced myself and gave the new disc a spin last night. All I can say is WOW! This thing looks fantastic—certainly better than a non-anamorphic DVD that wore out its welcome too many years ago.

This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I pre-ordered mine on Amazon forever ago but I guess I didn't get my order in early enough. Doesn't look like it'll ship out soon.

I don’t think Amazon strictly goes by first in, first out. There’s also the matter of which warehouses get stock first and then which customers are linked to those specific warehouses as their origin points, etc. And just luck of the draw, as well.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
My copy came from amazon today. I remember enjoying the film despite the preposterous moment when it really jumped the shark (for me) when
Did I miss something? How is something like that even remotely possible? Seems like typical Cameron's typical weak screenwriting to me. Other opinions welcomed!
Note that I've used the spoiler function--I hope it's working. The spoilery section isn't showing up for me.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I didn't order until mid February. Amazon doesn't appear to have any stock left and I have no idea when mine will ship. It probably doesn't help that I suspended Amazon Prime last month.

Mark

Real Name
Rolf Skrinde
I luckily bought my copy the day of release at my local retailer. I got there an hour after they opened and got the last one. I saw The Abyss in theaters several times during the original release, have owned the laserdisc, DVD and even bought a bootleg upscaled blu ray version a few years ago (it was middling at best). I don't remember the film looking particularly grainy in the theater, and the home video versions did what they could with the nature of the underwater photography and the softened (for scale) miniature shots. The new transfer looks fantastic. Razor sharp, rock solid blacks and beautiful color reproduction. It doesn't (to my eyes) look overly processed, only that it looks "perfect." Lots of previously murky detail is now visible in many scenes. Easily the best version on home video. I'm not for revisionist history (let's not mention the insufferable George Lucas) but in the case of The Abyss, it looks great.

Last edited:

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Picked up my copy at Barnes and Noble Thursday night after seeing it was in stock and available for pickup. When I went to the disc area, it was nowhere to be seen. The clerk saw that it was in their computer, but suspected it hadn't been "put out yet"! (a full 2 days after release date). I insisted he go and unbox it as I came quite a way to this particular "in-stock for pick-up" location. That task required the assistance of the manager to help locate the shipping carton and I did walk out with a copy.
Either the thrill of getting new and exciting discs has gone away, or lazy practices and reduced staffing are reducing the ability of retailers to meet customer expectations.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
My disc came in from Amazon (Prime) on Wed and I watched the Extended Version last night. I thought the disc looked quite good. At times in some scenes the grain reduction felt a bit too much, but for the most part it never crossed a really bad line. There seems to be some grain in most of it so it won't look waxy. The rest of the image was really excellent! Detail can be jaw dropping as can be those really deep, rich blacks. I've never seen either version of the film, but I enjoyed it. I will watch the theatrical version in the next couple of weeks.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Amazon finally sent me an estimated shipping date. Somewhere between April 17 and May 21.

:rolling-smiley:

Time to start looking elsewhere.

Mark

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My disc came in from Amazon (Prime) on Wed and I watched the Extended Version last night. I thought the disc looked quite good. At times in some scenes the grain reduction felt a bit too much, but for the most part it never crossed a really bad line. There seems to be some grain in most of it so it won't look waxy. The rest of the image was really excellent! Detail can be jaw dropping as can be those really deep, rich blacks. I've never seen either version of the film, but I enjoyed it. I will watch the theatrical version in the next couple of weeks.
There is no grain.

Robert Saccone

Premium
There is no grain.
Given what's been going on of late with grain reduction / removal and the various reactions in the threads, it might be worth adding some sort of grain line item or rating in your review summary. Perhaps a scale or keywords that indicate whether the amount / level of grain and type (artificial, film).

Also wanted to say thanks for the all the reviews you've posted over the years. They've been helpful and a enjoyable to read.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You can’t miss what you never experienced.

This is a salient point -- I often think, "They just don't know what they're missing," when in fact, that is exactly the point. They (younger generations) don't know what they're missing, don't care, and why should they? It's projection on our part to assume that kids today will like all the stuff we do (too bad they don't, though). Still, in encouraging numbers, some young people are rediscovering the classics through streaming or videos. A few hours of TCM can turn almost anyone into aficionados of the classics!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks