What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Abyss -- in 4k UHD (2 Viewers)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I received my copy yesterday, and my wife and I watched the Special Edition last night. I found the presentation to be a strange animal. Yes, to me it looks very digital and processed for the most part, yet at the same time, there's an astonishing level of detail visible in some of the close-ups. Black levels are gorgeous and I thought color was very nice as well. The Atmos track is fantastic.

Despite what Cameron has done here, which I'm not very happy with, it's easy to say that this is the best The Abyss has ever looked on home video, since the only real benchmark we have to compare it to is the non-anamorphic DVD released back in the Stone Age.

It's been quite a while since I've seen the film, and I'd forgotten how well done it is (except for a few effects shots) and how thoroughly entertaining it is. I need to watch the excellent Under Pressure: Making the Abyss again. Man, what a strong run of films Cameron had with The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, and Terminator 2. He was certainly on a roll.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Given what's been going on of late with grain reduction / removal and the various reactions in the threads, it might be worth adding some sort of grain line item or rating in your review summary. Perhaps a scale or keywords that indicate whether the amount / level of grain and type (artificial, film).

Also wanted to say thanks for the all the reviews you've posted over the years. They've been helpful and a enjoyable to read.
Normally mentioned in reviews, or called out if problematic. I'd like to avoid more line items in the reviews, as eventually it becomes akin to ordering a Porsche.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Attachments

• The abyss.png
    The abyss.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 45

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
What is the texture in the background?

RAH draws a distinction between real film grain and the digital noise added to simulate grain. These new James Cameron releases have had all the original film grain stripped out and a new (much finer) layer of artificial grain added for texture.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
RAH draws a distinction between real film grain and the digital noise added to simulate grain. These new James Cameron releases have had all the original film grain stripped out and a new (much finer) layer of artificial grain added for texture.

Okay, makes sense as this is really just another Aliens BD (Lowry) situation.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Man, what a strong run of films Cameron had with The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, and Terminator 2. He was certainly on a roll.
After that, he went on to True Lies, Titanic and the Avatar movies so I'd say that that roll has yet to end. There's certainly movies of his that I like more than others but there's not a dud in Cameron's filmography.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right. What I meant was, they apparent created a new (4K) scan for The Abyss, degrained it, and then added 'fake' grain for the new master. It was a somewhat similar process for Aliens a decade ago.
Some people are saying Aliens is derived from a upconverted 2K scan.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Some people are saying Aliens is derived from a upconverted 2K scan.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think those people are misinformed. As far as I've always been aware, Aliens was already scanned and mastered in 4K for the Blu-ray release in 2010. Lowry Digital's special de-graining process that James Cameron was so happy with relied on a 4K workflow. So, even if this new A.I. processed transfer is based on the existing Blu-ray master, that work already started in 4K.

I think the people claiming that the new 4K is upconverted are working from the false belief that, "2010 was, like, a hundred thousand millennia ago. 4K didn't exist back then." Which is wrong and stupid.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As I mentioned in another thread, I think those people are misinformed. As far as I've always been aware, Aliens was already scanned and mastered in 4K for the Blu-ray release in 2010. Lowry Digital's special de-graining process that James Cameron was so happy with relied on a 4K workflow. So, even if this new A.I. processed transfer is based on the existing Blu-ray master, that work already started in 4K.

I think the people claiming that the new 4K is upconverted are working from the false belief that, "2010 was, like, a hundred thousand millennia ago. 4K didn't exist back then." Which is wrong and stupid.

@Neil S. Bulk just posted this in the Aliens thread.

1710780755800.png

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for everyone's input. I have a question - WHY is this release up to $99.99 on Amazon? Availability issues? Thanks for any insight.
I'm sure it's a third party seller want to ca$h in on the film's lack of availability for quick shipping via AmaZon. - I Pre-Ordered through DisneyMovieClub before they announced it's closure and just received the three newly released Cameron films on 4K yesterday.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This is a salient point -- I often think, "They just don't know what they're missing," when in fact, that is exactly the point. They (younger generations) don't know what they're missing, don't care, and why should they? It's projection on our part to assume that kids today will like all the stuff we do (too bad they don't, though). Still, in encouraging numbers, some young people are rediscovering the classics through streaming or videos. A few hours of TCM can turn almost anyone into aficionados of the classics!
It depends on who "they" are. I've made the mistake of being in Target on Tuesday release day for a "new" Taylor Swift for K(orean)-Pop band where the lines snake through the store.

But to your point many years ago my boss was a Marilyn Monroe fan but had indicated that she had never seen a MM film. She new I collected DVDs and asked if I had any MM films she could borrow?.

Having learned that "borrowing" means "I thought you gave to me!" (not just for her) I told her I only had one from earlier in her career, that was in B&W and had been re-made with performers of her ethnicity in color which she might prefer. She said that would be fine and so I gave her an extra DVD of All About Eve.

After viewing it she said she had seen the remake "All About Eva" but actually the MM version better.. She even purchased still from the internet from the film for over $30.00. She asked if there was more MM on DVD I said "the next time you're in Costco check out the movie table they should have two sets available for about $38.00 each." Needless to say she bought the sets and had fun talking about watching the films.

All About Eve was released by 20th Century Fox as was The Abyss - on the 4K Theatrical/and Se version of TA there are sound effects of over the 20th Century Logo. I quickly spot checked the 4K dis:c

Hitting Play Movie brings you to the Theatrical cut If you want Francias 5.1 DTS or Espanol 5.1 Dolby Digital you have to arrow down in the Audio top menu - or use the audio button on your player remote to get to those.

Accessing the SE defaults to English DolbyTRUEHD 7.1. from what I can tell to access the menus for audio etc you have to pres pop-up menu on your player remote.

The PQ is better than I was expecting and I did go to the meeting of X and the crew and the scene is still fine to me.

Both versions have resume play.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Anyone disappointed that the digital copies of Aliens and The Abyss did NOT include the Special Edition cuts in 4K can call Disney Home Entertainment customer service at 888-223-4369 or complete the feedback form. Currently, they are only collecting feedback, but if they receive plenty of complaints, they may actually fix the issue retroactively.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks