What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The original mono Vertigo mix is included on both the blu-ray and the 4K
As per @Robert Harris in his original post (emphasis mine):

Vertigo in DTS-X, as all as two-channel monaural - based upon positive prints, dupe optical tracks, original 3-track stereo music and original monaural music, along with new Foley and effects tracks. Original tracks for this film did not survive.

Here's a comparison video. Listen to the gunshots. The first conforms to the the DVD and VHS mix I'd heard for years. The second reflects the recent 4K and Blu Ray. I am used to the first but that doesn't mean it's the original, but it makes me wonder why they just didn't pull the earlier sound if it IS the original (I have no idea - the film is older than I am). So is the current mono mix true to the original or an assembly?

The second is the same sound effect on both the mono and DTS tracks.

Last edited:

Nathan_H

Second Unit
I don't know the answer, but I am hoping to learn more. It clearly isn't as simple as I thought (ie, I thought the mono track on the new release was a simple transcription of the original but if the original is lost, that would't be possible).

pjones

Grip
Real Name
Peter
Just checked my two laserdisc versions:

- On the 1984 MCA Home Video LD (40082), which only has analog audio, the gunshots sound like the second set in the above video, with no silence between the shot and echo.

- On the 1997 MCA/Universal Home Video LD (42941), which is from the 1996 restoration, listening to the PCM digital audio, the gunshots sound like the first set in the above video, with distinctly separate echo noises. (I can't check the DD/AC-3 track on that LD because I'm no longer have the RF demod needed for that, but I very much expect it's the same.)

And on both the UHD and the 2012 Blu-ray, as you say, the gunshots on both the multi-channel and mono tracks sound like those on the second set above and the 1984 laserdisc.

I've never had any DVD version, but my memory is that at least the early DVDs had pretty much the same content as the 1997 LD. The documentary Obsessed with Vertigo included on that LD (and on the Blu-ray and the UHD) mentions new Foley effects done for the 1996 restoration.

Last edited:

Nathan_H

Second Unit
So the UHD has one track that matches the 1984 LD, which is likely the original mono?

And when people say the original soundtrack was lost what they probably mean is that the original soundtrack ELEMENTS were lost, so when the surround sound re-mix was done, they had to do a new foley track, and those gunshots ended up sounding very different, far more like a 1990 movie, in the surround mix?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I have the purple suede Hitchcock box and the 2 disc hardcover book edition for DVD's of "Vertigo" and now I feel compelled to check them tomorrow when I get home. Ah, HTF, what would life be without you?
Just checked my two laserdisc versions:

- On the 1984 MCA Home Video LD (40082), which only has analog audio, the gunshots sound like the second set in the above video, with no silence between the shot and echo.

- On the 1997 MCA/Universal Home Video LD (42941), which is from the 1996 restoration, listening to the PCM digital audio, the gunshots sound like the first set in the above video, with distinctly separate echo noises. (I can't check the DD/AC-3 track on that LD because I'm no longer have the RF demod needed for that, but I very much expect it's the same.)

And on both the UHD and the 2012 Blu-ray, as you say, the gunshots on both the multi-channel and mono tracks sound like those on the second set above and the 1984 laserdisc.

I've never had any DVD version, but my memory is that at least the early DVDs had pretty much the same content as the 1997 LD. The documentary Obsessed with Vertigo included on that LD (and on the Blu-ray and the UHD) mentions new Foley effects done for the 1996 restoration.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
RAH's "few words" about the 2012 Vertigo Blu-ray has some words about sound, including how they weren't happy with the final results of newly created elements for the 1996 restoration, and that the 2012 Blu-ray (mostly?) rectified that. I would guess that these gunshots fall into this category.
This helps a lot, thank you. Going by this, the sound I was used to wasn't the sound that reflected the original release. I can accept that. I have the DVD saved if I really have a jones for two gunshots. ;)

I watched the film with Royal Brown some years ago and had dinner with he and his wife a few times (she and I did theater together) and discussed the film. He mentioned the changes in the sound mix but I don't remember what the final analysis was.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Thank you.
One other thing I forgot to ask:
The included blu-rays are from the new scans or the old ones?

Reactions: PMF

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Now that North by Northwest 4k is coming https://shop.warnerbros.co.uk/colle...tor-s-edition-with-steelbook-4k-ultra-hd-1959, I wanted to ask something (Sorry, I think I have asked this again)
1) I guess there won't be a box with all 15 films (inc. North by Northwest) in 4k because this is WB and the others are Universal?
I want to replace this set I have with 4ks:

2) If I order now from Amazon, will I get Psycho 4k with the correct mix?
Wow! Awesome news!!

Robert Saccone

Premium
Now that North by Northwest 4k is coming https://shop.warnerbros.co.uk/colle...tor-s-edition-with-steelbook-4k-ultra-hd-1959, I wanted to ask something (Sorry, I think I have asked this again)
1) I guess there won't be a box with all 15 films (inc. North by Northwest) in 4k because this is WB and the others are Universal?

Looks like a nice release. Wonder if we will get a US release that’s equivalent?

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby

Thanks for the heads-up on the North by Northwest 4k, it's been my favourite film for a long time. Surprised it wasn't announced, and hopefully it will be released before 31 December (4 July would be good as that is Eva Marie Saint's 100th birthday). I always wanted her line of dialogue on the train to be fixed!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I found nothing about sound on the new 4K disc for NORTH BY NORTHWEST. Anyone know?
Posted earlier in the thread. Here you go:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks