What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Definitely gonna buy the 4K release of North by Northwest (and also an actual 4K disc player that I've been dragging my feet on getting).

Something I wish I could find again was a short featurette that TCM put out in the late 90s/early 00s that was about the restoration of NxNW done at the time. In particular, I remember it spending a significant amount of time discussing the work they had to do on de-hissing the extant dialogue tracks they had. I've never been able to find that short or have seen it shown on TCM in over 15 years at this point.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Psycho has an updated Blu-ray, all the other Universal Hitchcocks on 4K disc include the older, already existing Blu-ray.
??? Up to now, it was my understnding that ALL of the Blu-ray versions in this first set were of the latest scans (and that Universal stopped including remastered Blus beginning with Vol. 2).. I personally have yet to go 4k (let's just say I've had a lot of setbacks in recent years) but had still planned to get this out of the (apparently mistaken) belief the BDs copies were remastered. This is unfortunate to learn.
By the way, Can I assume --- let's say I were to finally go 4k tomorrow --- that new copies of this set purchased on, say, Amazon or Walmart.dot.com in 2024 would contain the corrected "Psycho" discs? (And if not, do you know if the disc replacement program is still active)?

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
??? Up to now, it was my understnding that ALL of the Blu-ray versions in this first set were of the latest scans (and that Universal stopped including remastered Blus beginning with Vol. 2).. I personally have yet to go 4k (let's just say I've had a lot of setbacks in recent years) but had still planned to get this out of the (apparently mistaken) belief the BDs copies were remastered. This is unfortunate to learn.
By the way, Can I assume --- let's say I were to finally go 4k tomorrow --- that new copies of this set purchased on, say, Amazon or Walmart.dot.com in 2024 would contain the corrected "Psycho" discs? (And if not, do you know if the disc replacement program is still active)?
Corrected Psycho meaning the screams and the stabs in the Martin Balsam scene?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The audio issue they fixed was that the mono track wasn’t the original, it was a fold down of the 5.1 remix so it had new and incorrect sound effects (a faucet squeak in the shower scene is the example most cited). The fixed pressing has the correct original mono track, but they did not fix the track for the Arbogast stabbing, that still appears to be incorrect.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Found this:
basically during Arbogast’s death all of the sound effects (most noticeable with the stabbing sounds and his footstep sounds as he’s falling down the stairs) are slightly out of sync, what’s particularly strange is in the remix (in one of its only instances where the sound effects weren’t changed) everything is perfectly in sync and the mono track on the DVD release is also in sync

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
To Catch a Thief on 4k disc would be nice. It’s become one of my favorite/ most watched Hitchcock films. I have the 4k iTunes version. I kept my old Blu-ray from years ago too.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Found this:

That's not what I hear on the disc itself. The SFX are out of sync on the DTS:X (and the old Blu-ray's 5.1), but in the mono, they're bang-on.

A separate issue is that in the "uncut" version, Arbogast's final scream is heard on the third stab instead of the first, where it obviously should be (and where it is on Turbine's BD release of that version).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
To Catch a Thief on 4k disc would be nice. It’s become one of my favorite/ most watched Hitchcock films. I have the 4k iTunes version. I kept my old Blu-ray from years ago too.
Not much point if it’s just going to be Paramount’s new smoothed-over transfer.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not much point if it’s just going to be Paramount’s new smoothed-over transfer.
i hope that was due to an authoring error and that the actual restoration doesn’t look like that. I’m hoping for a new 4K disc that’s taken care of all the errors on that disc. One can hope.

And I’m looking forward to seeing what the North by Northwest disc will look like. Why are you so good to me?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
i hope that was due to an authoring error and that the actual restoration doesn’t look like that. I’m hoping for a new 4K disc that’s taken care of all the errors on that disc. One can hope.
I don't know. Paramount has defended that look. And the 4K digital looks pretty much the same.
We made every effort to accurately restore this beautifully produced film by referencing the original print throughout the process. In addition, using the original negative allowed us to minimize the need for digital noise reduction. With these facts in mind, we stand by this restoration. We continually endeavor to restore Paramount’s great films using the best technology available alongside every resource we can find to bring the original vision of the filmmakers to audiences.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
There's a screening of the 4K To Catch a Thief coming this summer that I'll try to see and compare to the blu-ray.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I don't know. Paramount has defended that look. And the 4K digital looks pretty much the same.

True, they did defend it. Unfortunately we live in a culture where many "leaders" at studios will not admit mistakes. But they know the truth. I fully expect this to be rectified for UHD BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks