What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Anyone else interested in That's Life (1986) on blu ray? (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Blake Edwards' underrated dramedy That's Life (1986) with Jack Lemmon, Julie Andrews, Sally Kellerman, Robert Loggia and Felicia Farr was shot in 2.35 Panavision but the DVD that was given us back in 2000 was in pan and scan! The DVD has been out of print for years and never available in an anamorphic wide screen transfer. It's not available in region 2 either (there's a Spanish bootleg but I believe even that is OP). I believe Lionsgate (which hasn't done much with its back catalog) still has the U.S. rights. It's available for downloading via Amazon prime but I have no idea if it's in a proper wide screen transfer. If you're reading this Lionsgate, please consider a blu ray. I mean we're talking Jack Lemmon, Julie Andrews and Blake Edwards here!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The Amazon version is a proper widescreen, HD transfer.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I would love to have this on blu. The amazon stream is very nice, widescreen HD, so there is a master out there. BTW if you have amazon prime, the stream is included.

I saw a special screening of this in L.A. about 20 or so years ago and Jack Lemmon spoke afterward. Many members of their families played roles in the film. It was a memorable evening and I have retained a certain fondness for this film. Julie's quiet desperation through the whole thing just breaks my heart. Nothing against Tony Bennett, but it would have made such sense for Julie to sing over the end titles.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I only saw it once on TV & loved it & can still remember it. There's a slightly rude phrase: As busy as a one armed taxi driver with the crabs - & that always reminds me of the film. I'd love a Blu-ray, or even a decent DVD.

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw it one time at the theater and found it very moving, very entertaining. I've never seen it since then, but knowing it's on Prime now, I'll sock that knowledge away for a hopefully soon viewing.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]If you're reading this Lionsgate, please consider a blu ray. I mean we're talking Jack Lemmon, Julie Andrews and Blake Edwards here!
Plus their kids...Chris Lemmon, Emma Watson and Jennifer Edwards.
Okay, Thoms T, I'd indulge a purchase on this one, too.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's good to know that a proper HD transfer exists although I don't do downloading or streaming myself. And it sounds like the film is ready for blu ray without any major work. Lionsgate, it's in your court now.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Amazon version is a proper widescreen, HD transfer.
Great to learn that there is an HD transfer! However we still can't buy it, it's a Prime subscription only. I hope that after Amazon Prime's license runs out, they put it up for sale at digital retailers.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I have fond memories of seeing this movie in the theater in 1986. It was written and directed by Blake Edwards in response to his recovery from debilitating Epstein-Barr syndrome. I also recall that the house used as Jack Lemmon and Julie Andrews' home in the movie was the actual Malibu home owned by Andrews and Edwards. It would be nice to see this movie again on Blu-ray.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I would buy this film. I'd buy anything with Julie Andrews in it. Saw her a few years ago at a benefit for City of Hope in Duarte, California, with the Los Angeles Philharmonic. She narrated "Peter and the Wolf". She was as loverly and charming as ever. And beautiful too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks