What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Apple TV+ Apple TV+ Is really hitting its stride (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Is it a good show? The premise seems extremely hokey to me. However, I like Cicely Strong, and if there is substance here, I'm willing to watch it in another week when I finally finish S3 of FOR ALL MANKIND.

The 1st season (of Schmigadoon) was pretty good/fun anyway. No idea about the new season though.

I also need to get back to For All Mankind when I reactivate my subscription (probably in early July)...

_Man_

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Is it a good show? The premise seems extremely hokey to me. However, I like Cicely Strong, and if there is substance here, I'm willing to watch it in another week when I finally finish S3 of FOR ALL MANKIND.
If you’re a fan of movie musicals I think you’ll enjoy it. It’s funny, clever and creative. It’s one of those shows that’s just different (in a good way) and entertaining. Nothing earth shattering but it’s a fun diversion.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
The 1st season (of Schmigadoon) was pretty good/fun anyway. No idea about the new season though.
The second season setup gives the show a great scenario for several seasons:
trying to find their way back to Schmigadoon they accidentally end up in Schmicago! 😂🤣😂

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
All the episodes of Schmigadoon are available on Apple TV+.

Your enjoyment will be directly tied to your enjoyment of musicals. If you don't like Musicals, or prefer your viewing to be more 'realistic', then it probably isn't for you.

If you like musicals (especially Broadway musicals), you should enjoy it. Season 1 is based around classic 40s-60s Broadway musicals, with happier simpler stories. Season 2 is based around late 60s-80s musicals, with grittier, darker stories (when there is a story).

It is very well done.

(I loved it)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I no longer have Apple TV+ but was able to watch the first episode of season two Schmigadoon! and loved it! It’s showing six episodes in the season. Have they all dropped? I’m definitely resubscribing for a month to see the rest and catch up on Ted Lasso, too.
It’s completed. Season finished a few weeks ago.
Schmigadoon is recommended if you like musical theater. Depending on which era of Broadway shows you’re into, you might prefer Season one over Season two or vice versa.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ah, I’m late :) got trapped by a leprechaun in Schmi-London on vacation ;)

I’m really looking forward to the return of Foundation Season 2 next week? Thinking about rewatching Season 1.

Don’t know when For All Mankind Season 4 comes out but will definitely watch that.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don’t watch sportsball, but I find the business of it interesting at times. And here’s a short consideration of Apple’s investment in soccer and what it might mean for AppleTV+ and VP.

Apple’s Messi Vision. Which is decidedly not messy, and… | by M.G. Siegler | Jun, 2023 | 500ish
And finally, fifth, much like Apple used AT&T as their exclusive carrier for the iPhone when it launched, I could see them using their MLS deal in a similar manner.⁷ That is, work with a league/carrier that is willing to break norms and allow Apple to be in control of the product and offering. And when it’s a success, watch the other leagues/carriers trip over themselves to get in line. It worked with the iPhone. Will it work here? Feels like a pretty good bet to make.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I don’t watch sportsball, but I find the business of it interesting at times. And here’s a short consideration of Apple’s investment in soccer and what it might mean for AppleTV+ and VP.

Apple’s Messi Vision. Which is decidedly not messy, and… | by M.G. Siegler | Jun, 2023 | 500ish
I am not sure investing their money in US soccer is the wisest play for Apple. Despite what the very small minority of fans want you to believe, North American-based leagues for the sport have struggled for viewership going all the way back to the 1970's, and during that era even more big names were being imported -- Pele, Beckenbauer, Trevor Francis, etc. Having just Messi come over isn't going to move the needle in the long run, just as David Beckham didn't -- nor with the Saudis paying Christian Rinaldo a crapload of money to play in their 4th rate league in the twilight of his career.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
There are a number of shows on Apple TV+ I haven't gotten to yet, but I've enjoyed or am enjoying their following SF series:

Extrapolations
For All Mankind
Foundation
Silo

The only SF series of theirs I haven't liked much was Invasion.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, just received this unexpected, oddly (supposedly) stackable(?), free trial offer direct from Apple for redeeming an Apple GC (I just bought from Target, but imagine could be from any other authorized dealer) -- the offer seems to come right after GC redemption, not at point of GC purchase (and I actually bought 2 separate GCs between Thurs late night and early this morning, only redeeming the latter so far).

Apple
Your gift card includes a content bonus.​
UayqO5DbvSDqR4r6WvhKLyXwjM5qKrmh-S3bedYnc7i2kZ70D8Hav4e4i1lhtTvhc_ANAap5RH0qizfukzikBmeKZuWtxcJvY8cEm22PRaqq3TCS6w=s0-d-e1-ft
Apple TV+
2 Months Free
Apple Inc.
Get 2 months of Apple TV+ free with your gift card. 2 months free, then $6.99/2 months until canceled. Redeem by July 31, 2023 to get your content bonus. Valid only with your Apple ID and must be redeemed on an iOS device.
Redemption requires an Apple ID and is subject to prior acceptance of license and usage terms. Not for resale. No cash value. Will not be replaced if lost, stolen, or used without permission. May be combined with another trial or offer. Free content bonus requires download of the free app. Full terms apply; see apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/.

The content bonus is provided by ©2023 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.

Curious... Couldn't find any mentions about this new offer (type) via quick google so far, so maybe it's that new (and unusual enough).

I'll probably save it for use at end of July so it can cover the entire release schedule for Foundation S2 plus rest of their MLB Friday broadcasts thru end of Sept.

But if it's really stackable (even if just merged/combined, not cumulative), I wonder if redeeming another GC later say in late-July or early-August might earn yet another such offer for subsequent use later this summer... plus there's still also the current, publicly/widely available free trial offer I shared earlier (I hadn't used just yet)... :P:D

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^^Hmmm... their wording for that offer actually does not (literally) call it a free trial as I had mistakenly read/assumed, but only (vaguely) mentions being combinable w/ "another trial or offer", so maybe it's simply considered as a combinable/stackable (promo?) offer via use of the provided unique code/link (specific to my GC redeeming account) instead of typical, publicly/widely available free trial offers.

Also, just noticed the offer says "2 months free, then $6.99/2 months until canceled." That's a very odd rate quote. One would think that's gotta be a typo, except this is Apple, so having such a typo slip-up is extremely unusual (and seemingly unlikely) and would normally trigger my phishing scam radar, :P except everything else about it seems legit enough, including all the (nav) links (expectedly) pointing directly back to Apple and the context of precisely how/when I received the offer... Well, there is also the matter of the broken image link...

... and checking the (underlying) "original message" text (w/ all the HTML source code), I see the other Apple logo images in the email are from similar image links for that domain/host, which apparently belongs to Apple, but those are not broken.

@ManW_TheUncool Target does a lot of Apple related deals. It’s possible that it’s a deal with them.

Yes, I'm aware of (most? of) those (also for Best Buy amongst others), but this one is definitely different than those I've seen/tried before. Those others usually aren't unique to my GC redeeming account nor sent to me directly from Apple, instead of Target, et al.

_Man_

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, they've apparently extended the expiration date of the previous 2-month-free-trial promo offer to 9/30 now, so if you haven't already used it and don't mind waiting some more, you should be able to use it to cover the entire release schedule for Foundation S2 (w/ plenty of time to spare).

Also, seems like the offer is definitely intended to promote their MLB Friday broadcasts targeted primarily at MLB fans (to join ATV+) as you apparently won't normally see it (anymore) via most of their other usual entry points, but it's very visible on MLB sites.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, they've apparently extended the expiration date of the previous 2-month-free-trial promo offer to 9/30 now, so if you haven't already used it and don't mind waiting some more, you should be able to use it to cover the entire release schedule for Foundation S2 (w/ plenty of time to spare).

Also, seems like the offer is definitely intended to promote their MLB Friday broadcasts targeted primarily at MLB fans (to join ATV+) as you apparently won't normally see it (anymore) via most of their other usual entry points, but it's very visible on MLB sites.

Just a reminder that this offer will expire tomorrow -- not completely sure if that means it needs to be redeemed by tonight or not, but I'd recommend just redeeming it today to be safe... which I just did myself.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks