What's new
World Wide Stereo

atmos set up (1 Viewer)

davyboy73

Auditioning
Real Name
dave hughes
Hi, at the momenti i am using a 6.1 set up, with a single surround back, soon i will be getting the sony a9g tv, which can be used as a centre speaker, the thing is now can i use the single rear in the same postion and use the current centre to make an atmos speaker, so, in theory using a 1 front and 1 rear for dolby atmos hope this makes sense

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Because even though the TV can be used that way, it still just has a crappy low range, low dynamics speaker that can't handle any power.

I should have said that to begin with.

Last edited:

davyboy73

Auditioning
Real Name
dave hughes
Because even though the TV can be used that way, it still just has a crappy low range, low dynamics speaker that can't handle any power.

I should have said that to begin with.
The tv in question is highly powered speaker system, and is capable of replacing a centre speaker, with dedicated terminals.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Most receivers, when setting up speakers, assumes everything is in pairs (except for center, obviously). That includes Atmos speakers (either overhead or up-firing).

Or maybe @JohnRice and I do not completely understand what you are trying to accomplish? Would you be able to provide a speaker layout diagram?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My contribution won't be appreciated. But, "Can I do..." isn't the same as "Should I do..." I'm not aware of any processors that configure individual Atmos or DTS:X speakers. Like Todd said they are intended to be in pairs.

Can you do a single speaker? I guess the answer to "Can I activate a single Atmos/DTS:X speaker" is "No." Will it damage the receiver to active a pair and only connect one speaker? Yeah, it could, but I'm not positive about that.

My other comment is, just connecting a random speaker to an Atmos connection doesn't make it a properly utilized Atmos channel. A rear wall center speaker is a rear wall center speaker, not an Atmos one, even if you connect it to an Atmos output. Location of speakers is extremely important and Atmos speakers are located overhead, not on a wall. When we start venturing into these (as I call them) "Frankenstein" systems, I usually bow out.

davyboy73

Auditioning
Real Name
dave hughes
Most receivers, when setting up speakers, assumes everything is in pairs (except for center, obviously). That includes Atmos speakers (either overhead or up-firing).

Or maybe @JohnRice and I do not completely understand what you are trying to accomplish? Would you be able to provide a speaker layout diagram?
[/QUO

Here are the diagrams, basically the centre speaker is going behind the tv to become an height speaker, is this doable ?

Attachments

• IMG20201210202141.jpg
    IMG20201210202141.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG20201210202200.jpg
    IMG20201210202200.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 79

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
The tv in question is highly powered speaker system, and is capable of replacing a centre speaker, with dedicated terminals.

Not sure if you are aware of this but the A9 treats the speaker inputs more like a line in which means you have to adjust the volume for most speakers on your receiver and the center is adjusted separately on the TV. If you always listen at the same level, no big deal but if you adjust the volume during the movie you will have to use two different remotes.

The A9 is an OK center channel but will not be as good as a stand alone speaker. You will also not be able to properly calibrate the system.

I love the idea of using the TV as a center - Hitachi and Pioneer did it years ago and I wish more manufacturers would have jumped on the idea. I also really enjoy Sony's acoustic surface screen. But I love big sound even more and no TV can replace a good dedicated center channel.

However you decide to set up your system, enjoy it. You have a fantastic TV!

Brian

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I love the idea of using the TV as a center - Hitachi and Pioneer did it years ago and I wish more manufacturers would have jumped on the idea.
I suspect you're referring to RPTVs. At least they had space for a real speaker, but modern TVs simply don't have anywhere for a real speaker of any size. There's going to be a severe change in the quality of the sound across the front. Despite the marketing, and yeah, you can do it, it's just not going to produce a decent result. Even though the acoustic surface screen sounds great for people who don't want to use separate speakers.

Last edited:

davyboy73

Auditioning
Real Name
dave hughes
Set up new Tv, the power of screen speaker in center mode is way better than I imagined, rearranged my set up, the tv center speaker mode works with the other speakers when changing volume, and wow what a TV, thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks