What's new
World Wide Stereo

Best Way to Guarantee Atmos when Streaming?! (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So I have my Samsung Q9fn ARCed to my Sony STR-DN1080, and some of the TV's streaming apps work thusly:
  • Vudu: Content (purchased only) streams in beauteous UHD with dazzling Atmos audio.
  • Apple TV+: Content (Apple TV+ and Movies/iTunes purchased content) streams in beauteous UHD with very nice (but not Atmos-infused) DD+ audio.
  • Disney+: Content streams in beauteous UHD with decent but unspectacular DD+ audio.
My goal: Get dat dazzling Atmos audio on Apple & Disney content! (With a streaming device, not a new LG TV.)

My understanding is that there are a few devices whose Disney apps pass Atmos data, but for Apple content, is the Apple TV box my only hardware option? I don't suppose that the Nvidia Shield Pro can play Apple content in Atmos?

I have some purchased movies (Mainly from Fox, IIRC) that I can watch on Vudu or Apple via Movies Anywhere, but that last I checked, only offer an Atmos soundtrack in their Apple versions. (Example: Ford vs. Ferrari) But of course, no joy from the Apple app on my TV.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You need to ask @Todd Erwin about this, listen to the podcast about it, or look at the thread dedicated to the topic. It's not simple...

...and it's constantly changing.

Yikes!!! I'm trying to keep this simple & specific:

1) Can any device other than an Apple TV box (or LG TV) play Apple content with Atmos audio?
2) If no, stop here!
3) If yes, which ones?
4) Which devices identified in step 3 can also play Disney+ content with Atmos audio?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Yikes!!! I'm trying to keep this simple & specific:

1) Can any device other than an Apple TV box (or LG TV) play Apple content with Atmos audio?
2) If no, stop here!
3) If yes, which ones?
4) Which devices identified in step 3 can also play Disney+ content with Atmos audio?
The Apple TV app on most 4K-capable Roku devices will play movies in 4K, HDR, and Atmos (the newer Ultra may even be capable of DV).

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
So I have my Samsung Q9fn ARCed to my Sony STR-DN1080, and some of the TV's streaming apps work thusly:
  • Vudu: Content (purchased only) streams in beauteous UHD with dazzling Atmos audio.
  • Apple TV+: Content (Apple TV+ and Movies/iTunes purchased content) streams in beauteous UHD with very nice (but not Atmos-infused) DD+ audio.
  • Disney+: Content streams in beauteous UHD with decent but unspectacular DD+ audio.
My goal: Get dat dazzling Atmos audio on Apple & Disney content! (With a streaming device, not a new LG TV.)

My understanding is that there are a few devices whose Disney apps pass Atmos data, but for Apple content, is the Apple TV box my only hardware option? I don't suppose that the Nvidia Shield Pro can play Apple content in Atmos?

I have some purchased movies (Mainly from Fox, IIRC) that I can watch on Vudu or Apple via Movies Anywhere, but that last I checked, only offer an Atmos soundtrack in their Apple versions. (Example: Ford vs. Ferrari) But of course, no joy from the Apple app on my TV.
Welcome to the wonderful frustrations of streaming! What you are experiencing is likely related to the actual app built for your smart TV. I would suggest a Roku Streaming Stick+, plugged directly into the Sony receiver. Since Samsung does not support DV, there is no need to get the Roku Ultra, unless you want Netflix in Atmos, too, just make sure the Ultra is the newer 2020 model.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Welcome to the wonderful frustrations of streaming! What you are experiencing is likely related to the actual app built for your smart TV. I would suggest a Roku Streaming Stick+, plugged directly into the Sony receiver. Since Samsung does not support DV, there is no need to get the Roku Ultra, unless you want Netflix in Atmos, too, just make sure the Ultra is the newer 2020 model.
TODD!!! Are you telling me that I'm only 5 minutes and $38 away from Atmosifying my Apple and Disney content???
(I live real close to a huge Target. :dancing-banana-04: )

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
TODD!!! Are you telling me that I'm only 5 minutes and $38 away from Atmosifying my Apple and Disney content???
(I live real close to a huge Target. :dancing-banana-04: )
Believe it or not, yes. Highly recommend the Streaming Stick+ over the Premiere, unless you need the capability of an IR-based universal remote. The Streaming Stick+ uses dual-band Wifi (2.4/5 GHz) while the Premiere is strictly 2.4 GHz. Yet, the Premiere uses an IR-based remote (allowing you to easily set it up on a Harmony 650), while the Streaming Stick+ uses an RF-based remote, but also offers voice commands. The Premiere typically sells for around $40, while the Streaming Stick+ is around $50. For better WiFi, I'd pay the extra $10.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Oh, and you'll get Movies Anywhere in Atmos, too!
Movies Anywhere has its own app? Will wonders never cease???

. . .{google google google}. . .

Samsung TVs got the Movies Anywhere app YESTERDAY. I wonder if it streams Atmos. And whether it streams Atmos for a movie like Ford vs. Ferrari.

(UPDATE: Looks like the MA app on Samsung only supports DD+ audio.)

Last edited:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Also, Todd:

1616621213159.png

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Ford vs Ferari is one of those films, like the recent News of the World, that no streaming service seems to have available in Atmos.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ford vs Ferari is one of those films, like the recent News of the World, that no streaming service seems to have available in Atmos.

In my Apple TV library, FvF still shows the Dolby Atmos logo. (I purchased a digital copy.) I can verify it after my next Target run.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I checked MA, and Vudu, and they list the movie as only 5.1 audio.

That's the thing -- certain movies appear to only offer 5.1 on Vudu (and, IIRC, Amazon Prime), but Atmos on Apple (and possibly other services).

Incidentally, I went to Target (conveniently located en route to Burgerfi to pick up dinner). Haven't had time to hook up anything yet, though. Stay tuned. . .

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
CONFIRMED!

The Apple TV app on the Roku Streaming Stick+ plays Ford vs. Ferrari (and Apple TV+ content) with Atmos audio! In fact, it also plays Guardians of the Galaxy in HD, which I got by entering the code from my old BD set, with the Atmos audio track. (Of course, I'd just watch that in 4K on Disney+ now, anyway, but good to know.)

For reference: my receiver's inputs are all taken, so the stick is plugged into an HDMI jack on the TV's One Box, with audio via ARC.

Bonus: Target Circle has a 20% off one purchase coupon that stacked with the 5% RedCard discount, which brought the RSS+ price all the way down to $30. Plus a nice discount on some fresh fruit and ice cream, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks