What's new
World Wide Stereo

Blu-ray Audio Crackling (1 Viewer)

Idol Thoughts

Auditioning
Real Name
Knick
Recently purchased Samsung BD-J5700/ BD-JM57 Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player with Tyler 6ft HDMI Cable (Certified Refurbished), and, because I'm using a fairly old TV, I also got GANA HDMI to RCA,HDMI to AV, 1080P HDMI to AV 3RCA CVBs Composite Video Audio Converter Adapter Supporting PAL/NTSC with USB Charge Cable to use it.

It was fine at first, but the audio soon started crackling whenever sound would come out. Naturally, I turned the Google and saw others with the same issue, including on this very forum. None of the solutions worked (like adjusting audio settings) except for giving me the idea to straighten out the audio jacks. Keeping them as straight as possible seem to do the trick.

It was fine for weeks, but the problem came back. The next day, it was fine again. A few days later, it's back again, and I can't fix it. It crackles and sounds like it's blaring from another room. I have it hooked up to a stereo, but I've established it's not that. I tried using different A/V jacks, and it's not that. Nothing I do does anything. Please help!

EDITED TO ADD: One more quick check before bed, hoping it's working. It's not, but the sound seems to be coming out one speaker okay, while still crackling in another. Easier to hear, though--less of that "blaring from another room" effect.

Last edited:

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Personally I think it's a waste of money to buy a Bluray player and then use a convertor to down mix the video to 480 and the audio to stereo. You are completely defeating the purpose of buying HD movies. I would buy a DVD player that has RCA outputs and not use the convertor.
But since you already have the setup, try changing audio output on the bluray player to stereo out. There is no point in outputting more than two channels since the convertor is just going to downmix it anyway. I would rather have the bluray down mix than the convertor.
If you still get a noise from one speaker, switch the left and right channels around from the convertor and see if the noise switches speakers. If it does, then you know it is probably the convertor.

Idol Thoughts

Auditioning
Real Name
Knick
Tried again this morning, and it worked perfectly fine. Tried again this afternoon, and it's back to the same problem.

"Personally I think it's a waste of money to buy a Bluray player and then use a convertor to down mix the video to 480 and the audio to stereo. You are completely defeating the purpose of buying HD movies. I would buy a DVD player that has RCA outputs and not use the convertor."
False assumptions.

"try changing audio output on the bluray player to stereo out"
Like I mentioned, I tried adjusting audio settings and nothing helped.

"switch the left and right channels around from the convertor and see if the noise switches speakers"
It does. Having audio issues in the stereo and when hooked directly to the TV already showed me it has to be the player or the converter.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If the goal is to use a Blu-ray player to watch content on an older television which only has standard definition analog inputs, my recommendation would be to seek out a used Blu-ray player prior to analog sunset, such as the Sony BDP-S350. You'd then be able to plug your player directly into the TV, which would eliminate any interference you're getting from the converter.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If the goal is to use a Blu-ray player to watch content on an older television which only has standard definition analog inputs, my recommendation would be to seek out a used Blu-ray player prior to analog sunset, such as the Sony BDP-S350. You'd then be able to plug your player directly into the TV, which would eliminate any interference you're getting from the converter.
Or a Panasonic DMP-BD60.

Idol Thoughts

Auditioning
Real Name
Knick
I only recently bought this player and adapter, and I intend to avoid making any more purchases.

Monday afternoon, I moved the converter slightly, turned on the player, and it worked fine through the rest of the night. Thursday morning, it wasn't working again.

I messed around with it again, eventually pulling the power out of the converter, plugging it back in, turning the player back on, and it worked. It seems that it only stops or starts working properly while the player is off (unless one of those times, I didn't realize the player was on). Checked again this morning, not working.

I think it took two attempts, but being sure the converter was completely separated from its power and turning the player off worked. I'm almost sure I tried unhooking everything from the converter Sunday night, when I was first having trouble again, and worked on it for thirty minutes. I may not have made sure the player was off, though.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Ah, yes; the dreaded "handshake" issue. With HDMI, you have to turn your components on in a certain order or things get messed up. One of the only reasons I use CEC.

Idol Thoughts

Auditioning
Real Name
Knick
Tried it again this evening. Same problem. Same solution worked: Turning the player off, pulling the power from the converter, then plugging it back in, and turning the player back on.

Ah, yes; the dreaded "handshake" issue. With HDMI, you have to turn your components on in a certain order or things get messed up. One of the only reasons I use CEC.
What is CEC?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Tried it again this evening. Same problem. Same solution worked: Turning the player off, pulling the power from the converter, then plugging it back in, and turning the player back on.

What is CEC?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control
Simply put, it's a communications protocol within the HDMi spec that allows your devices to talk to one another in terms of turning on power, control, etc. Lots around here don't like it, but I find it resolves "handshake" issues, as it turns on the components in the right order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale