What's new
World Wide Stereo

Buying a projector screen and projector - feedback wanted (1 Viewer)

Daniel Adamsson

Auditioning
Hello!

We have a room (no windows) which is approximately 18 m2 (4.4 x 4.1 / 14.4 x 13.45), with black matte roof, black matte walls and a red carpet. This will be our cinema room.
2.50 m / 8.2 up to the ceiling.

We have a Denon AVR-2809 amplifier and a 5.1 setup of Monitor Audio Silver RX 8 series (2x Silver RX 8 floorstanders, 1x Silver RX Centre, 2x Silver RX FX Surround, 1x Silver RX-W12 Sub) a Sony BD player, a Marantz CD player and various game consoles.

What we need now is to buy a projector (to be ceiling-mounted), and we are considering the following;

- JVC DLA-X35
or
- Sony VPL-HW40ES (or HW50ES, they cost almost as much (here in Sweden))

Which of the above fits our room / needs best do you think? The price is similar here in Sweden.

Moreover, we need a projector screen. Since the room will be dedicated to this, we believe that a fixed frame white projector screen is the best / most appropriate - is that correct?

The distance from where you sit and the screen will be somewhere around 4 m / 13.12 or slightly above (4.4 m wall to wall). Size-wise what would be best for us given our circumstances? Around 104" maybe? Suggestions are mostly appreciated.

We estimate we will use the system for this:
- Streaming from PC/Online (TV-Shows and movies) and Blu-Ray movies 70%
- Music (2.0 / 2.1), regular TV and console games (no FPS) 30%

In terms of models, we are short on ideas, but we imagine that it would be convenient if the screen had support for multiple formats, such as;

- Grandview Velvet Multi-Cinema
- WS-GR Multiformat
- Monoprice Multi format

We are open to suggestions, but we'd like to keep the tab around 3000 € / 30 000 SEK / $3900 if possible.

Thoughts and ideas are gladly received.

Sincerely,

Daniel

728x90

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd go for the JVC projector and a 1.0 upto 1.3 gain screen, if you want great 3D then also buy a cheap Benq W1070.

I'd also go for a 120 inch screen if you can fit it in and the price is within your budget.

You might want to look into acoustically transparent materials* and make your own screen, Seymour Center Stage XD is very good material and relatively cheap to buy, it's AT and i have had a sample of it, it is very good material.

If your room is dedicated you could potentially fix the screen directly to the wall without a frame, this is what i have done, it means you can buy velvet material and make your own masking at a fraction of the price of buying a screen separately.

Try and have the bottom of the frame of the screen just 35 to 40cm off the floor, it enhances the viewing experience, it means the middle part of the screen is almost at eye level, very cinematic, most frames which are fitted to the ceiling are too high and you end up looking up at the screen, this is why fitting directly to the wall is a great option or find a frame with a 60cm drop.

If you went for two projectors and bought a Benq then remember it's DLP link for 3D, you need to buy glasses which won't add a red tint to blacks and allow the white flash sync in, i recommend Optoma ZF2100 DLP link glasses, they block the red tint and white flash and are 144hz triple flash compatible, i do not recommend Benq 3D glasses for that display.

*Put your speakers behind the screen and out of sight with your centre at ear height.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sony does gaming better than JVC. 3D is secondary for JVC as well.JVC will have a very slight edge 2D. (And why many who do a twin projector set up, buy a JVC and "something else" for 3D/gaming)And I echo the AT screen(woven preferably).

Daniel Adamsson

Auditioning
Hello,

We have now bought / ordered a JVC DLA-X35 projector. Left now is to find a sensible ceiling bracket, and a projector screen.

After some measuring up to where the projector will sit, we seem to need a 104 "-108" projector screen. We think a white, fixed frame, would suit the room the best.

Now we see the following options;

- Grandview Velvet Cinema 16: 9 and Grandview Velvet Homecinema Fixed Frame 16: 9
- Multibrackets M Framed Projection Screen Deluxe 16: 9
- Euro Screen Frame Vision Light 16: 9 and Euro Screen Frame Vision Light Vel-Tex
- WS Spalluto P homescreen Frame 16: 9
- Projecta Homescreen Matte White 16: 9

All within a reasonable price range and, white, Gain 1.0, Fixed Frame. While we'd like a multiformat option, it seems a lot of money for something that would not be used very much, or what do you think of the multi format versions?

Is there any / some of these that are clearly worse / better than anyone else, I would be extremely grateful for your feedback!

// Daniel

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I have an Epson 6020UB running with a Carada, 120in 1.85:1 Critierion white screen which I am very happy with. The customer service from Carada was pretty good and they currently have a sale going on.

Regards,

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I typically stay away from GrandView.Draper is always a good choice. Spalluto, can't find anything in English for them...which might be a good thing.Projecta is in cahoots with Da-Lite.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
schan1269 said:
I typically stay away from GrandView.Draper is always a good choice. Spalluto, can't find anything in English for them...which might be a good thing.Projecta is in cahoots with Da-Lite.
Grandview is fine as long as you do not buy their tab tensioned screens, they are bad, the manual are fine, at least in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks