What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release BVHE Press Release: The Abyss, True Lies, Aliens, Titanic, Avatar and Avatar: The Way of the Water (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My copies of Aliens and True Lies arrived today (Abyss should be tomorrow). I don't know why, but I just love that the spines of these releases have the "20th Century Studios" logo and not Fox.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Doesn't seem like Walmart is carrying any of these in stores. Stopped by my store tonight and there didn't even seem to be any shelf space/tags for these titles.
Can confirm this. Didn't see a single one at my local Wallyworld in podunk Kentucky.

And, as I said somewhere before, the same is true in Concord, NH (and Manchester, as well). None of them there, and no tags indicating that there was a space for them.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So much for the rumors around these threads that Walmart would be expanding their media selection. The ongoing remodel at my store seems to have reduced disc displays by about 1/3 of what it had been.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Nothing delivered here in So Cal from Amazon yet. Nothing from Amazon about shipping yet.

ordered Aliens : 3/8
ordered Abyss : 2/19

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Are 4K discs more susceptible to scratching than Blu-ray discs? The three disc Aliens and The Abyss stack the 4K on top of the bonus features blu-ray. To be safe I swapped the lone blu-ray feature disc on the left with the 4k on the right side.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
This has been the worst rollout since that three-disc set of the Beatles recording in the studio.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Are 4K discs more susceptible to scratching than Blu-ray discs? The three disc Aliens and The Abyss stack the 4K on top of the bonus features blu-ray. To be safe I swapped the lone blu-ray feature disc on the left with the 4k on the right side.
4K discs use the same scratch-resistant coating as Blu-ray discs, and to be honest, I have never had a problem with stacked discs getting scratched.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Some posters on the Blu-ray.com forum do believe that 4K UHD discs are more susceptible to being scratched than their Blu-ray counterparts. I don't have the UHD format myself, so I have no personal knowledge of that.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Some posters on the Blu-ray.com forum do believe that 4K UHD discs are more susceptible to being scratched than their Blu-ray counterparts. I don't have the UHD format myself, so I have no personal knowledge of that.

I haven't seen any indication of that, but they seem more susceptible to errors from random schmutz on the disc surface. Every time I watch a new UHD for the first time, there's a 50/50 chance that it'll hang at some point. And when it does, a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth clears the problem.

The odd thing is that when I've tried wiping it with the microfiber cloth before spinning up the disc the first time, it still hangs, and then works fine after another wipe with the cloth.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don’t think they’re more susceptible, but scratches and smudges will likely result in more playback problems on UHDs because there’s more data crammed onto the disc.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've been saying for a long time that these three films have the potential to revitalize physical media, at least in the short term, and what we're witnessing are the building blocks of what's to come if Disney plans to go full steam ahead with physical media again. There's going to be more Oppenheimers, Aliens, Abysses and True Lies and it's going to turn into a sideshow.
I like your optimism but unfortunately, I think the only people who care about this are the ones who have continued to buy discs this whole time. I'm sure these movies are doing amazing numbers for catalog titles in 2024 but the industry knows that, outside of the original Star Wars trilogy, these Cameron movies are the only remaining holy grail titles that will do really large numbers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, UPS strikes again as my Aliens is in town but won't be delivered until tomorrow. The same with USPS and True Lies on Friday along with several other March 12th releases. It doesn't even matter because I haven't even watched The Abyss yet. :)
Finally, I have Aliens and True Lies out for delivery today along with several other March 12th releases. I'll be busy this weekend. I doubt I'll watch all three movies so it's probably going to be the longer versions of The Abyss and Aliens.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The biggest surprise of this release is that people are surprised that they aren't getting their Amazon orders. Disney/Amazon delays have been going on for several years now and I truly thought it was common knowledge that this was standard operating procedure there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The biggest surprise of this release is that people are surprised that they aren't getting their Amazon orders. Disney/Amazon delays have been going on for several years now and I truly thought it was common knowledge that this was standard operating procedure there.
TBH, I think the delays are less than I expected. I thought it would be worse than it is.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And that so many are hot and bothered that they don't have these in their hands on release day or a couple days after.

How many decades have we waited for these releases? A couple weeks more won't kill anyone. Though I suppose if one were to kick it a few days before they did arrive, that would be a bummer.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As I posted a few days ago, I did not pre-order and ordered all three the morning of release day from Amazon. I was a little surprised that I was notified they were out of stock and Amazon would update me when they have stock and when it would ship. I figured this would be a higher than normal demand set of titles. Though yes, I’m a little surprised.

I was not aware that Amazon and Disney equals delayed shipment of orders. I was thinking they did have a feud but I guess it’s over. When I ordered The Mandalorian on Blu Ray and 4K, they shipped right away.

As of today, I have had no updates on my order. Yes, I’ve waited this long, I can wait a bit more. Weeks if that’s what it takes. I already have my order in and I’m not a Disney member so I’ll just wait. It sounds like the brick and mortar options are out of stock too. If only Best Buy were around. But this delay sounds like it’s also due to replication plants unable to meet demand. So again, I can wait.

By the way, it’s great some of you had your orders fulfilled and have discs in hand! It’s no longer vaporware. It’s real.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks