What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: The Abyss, True Lies, Aliens, Titanic, Avatar and Avatar: The Way of the Water (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I received all three from DMC today. I was, although expecting them Saturday, but that’s ok. I’m going to start with The Abyss tonight.
As did I (Aliens, Abyss, and True Lies 4K)- FYI they were $11.98 each + tax with a prior full price purchase. I definitely will miss DMC ...

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Shirley you can't be serious ;)?
IMG_0294.gif

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I believe DMC "drop-ships" from Technicolor.

Possibly, but I'm not aware of any Technicolor warehouses in WI. All my TC drop ships seem to come from Memphis area. All my DMC packaages originate from Menasha/Neenah, WI. My group went Media Mail and to be delivered today, my friends shipped Priority to Hawaii 2 days after mine dispatched and delivered yesterday. Both went direct to USPS via Oak Creek WI and skipped the OSM (One Stop Shipping) variation when seems to stop in Glendale Hts IL

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Possibly, but I'm not aware of any Technicolor warehouses in WI. All my TC drop ships seem to come from Memphis area. All my DMC packaages originate from Menasha/Neenah, WI. My group went Media Mail and to be delivered today, my friends shipped Priority to Hawaii 2 days after mine dispatched and delivered yesterday. Both went direct to USPS via Oak Creek WI and skipped the OSM (One Stop Shipping) variation when seems to stop in Glendale Hts IL
Technicolor split and disc manufacturing and is now Vanitiva

The industrial video doesn't show anything specific to DMC but it does show some of the manufacturing process ...

A Wayback archive of the technicolor website shows Disney as one of the companies they made discs for. I remember Disney Movie Rewards sent me a redemption reward disc via the currently used two pieces of cardboard glued together. They asked me to respond if it arrived intact etc. I said yes. This is how Technicolor still ships some items. And how DMC shipped the 3 Cameron 4K discs ...

1710870632020.png

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Sure they make all the discs since TC/Vantiva is essentially a monopoly on replication in the Western hemisphere and have produced all the the US/CA Disney's for almost a decade, but as far as I'm aware they don't handle warehousing and distribution of DMC/DMI products. I've gotten plenty of HES/TC driect drop shipped products but almost 100% of those originate from memphis/Nashville/LaVerge Tn.

All my Disney product ship out of WI (Alta Resources) -- Neenah/Menasha

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So I finally decided to go with DMC for these. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I ordered the latest Featured Title -- The Falcon and the Winter Soldier UHD SteelBook, and added four other titles for 60% off. The Moon Knight UHD SteelBook (for $17.98) and the UHDs of The Abyss, Aliens, and True Lies (for $11.98 each).

Fortunately, they'll ship the 3 Cameron films soon-ish, so I don't have to wait for them with the 2 Marvel titles, which are pre-orders and won't come for another month.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Amazon is still showing that True Lies and Aliens are shipping to me this coming week. No estimate for Thr Abyss yet.

Midnight Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I got an Amazon update, now getting Aliens and True Lies on March 27th and The Abyss has a shipping window between April 1st and 10th. It’s getting closer and closer 🙂

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Having finally had a chance to watch True Lies, I'm going to consolidate a couple of past posts made in other James Cameron threads into this one for discussion.

Courtesy of Mr. Hunt and Digital Bits:

“True Lies, Titanic, and The Abyss were all mastered from 4K scans. Aliens
was mastered from the 2K scan used for the previous Blu-ray release.

Titanic was scanned in 2012. True Lies and The Abyss were done more
recently.

That's all per Geoff Burdick at Lightstorm."

As I mentioned in the True Lies thread last night, in no way do I believe that disc comes from a new 4K scan. It absolutely looks to be upconverted (with additional A.I. noise reduction and sharpening) from the old HD master that's been circulating since the early 2000s. It doesn't even look to have a new color grade. It has no sense of HDR or Wide Color Gamut at all. It's clearly an SDR Rec. 2020 encode mapped inside an HDR container.

Even with the A.I. processing, sense of detail is rather weak, and the noise reduction (supposedly James Cameron's priority) is kind of half-assed. A number of scenes are really noisy, and it doesn't look like that process where they strip out the original grain and replace it with artificial grain. Frankly, it just looks like old-fashioned sensor noise from a dated scan.

Yet here we have a Lightstorm Entertainment rep telling Digital Bits that, “True Lies, Titanic, and The Abyss were all mastered from 4K scans." Sorry, I don't buy it. Not for this movie.

Is this rep misinformed? I think so.

Especially since Neil dug up this post stating that Lowry Digital did "2K restorations" of The Abyss and True Lies back in the day (presumably the source of the True Lies D-VHS master that popped up on streaming at various times over the years).

I have the Aliens disc on hand but haven't had time to watch it yet. Amazon hasn't shipped my copy of The Abyss yet. True Lies is the only one I've been able to watch.

Nevertheless, what it seems to me happened is that none of these three movies were actually re-scanned or remastered beyond the new Park Road A.I. processing. I believe Lightstorm simply took the existing Lowry Digital 2K masters and ran them through that A.I. tool to upconvert them to 4K, then add further noise reduction and detail enhancement.

Needless to say, this is tremendously disappointing.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So I finally decided to go with DMC for these. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I ordered the latest Featured Title -- The Falcon and the Winter Soldier UHD SteelBook, and added four other titles for 60% off. The Moon Knight UHD SteelBook (for $17.98) and the UHDs of The Abyss, Aliens, and True Lies (for $11.98 each).

Fortunately, they'll ship the 3 Cameron films soon-ish, so I don't have to wait for them with the 2 Marvel titles, which are pre-orders and won't come for another month.

Still haven't gotten any word from DMC about when these will ship. Maybe they'll ship everything in one package (when the two MCU titles come out) despite what they said in the order acknowledgement email.

In the meantime, I popped into a local Bull Moose today, and while they didn't appear to have The Abyss or True Lies, they had a handful of copies of Aliens.

No, I didn't pick up a copy; (a) I'm patient, and (b) I was buying enough other things already.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Still haven't gotten any word from DMC about when these will ship. Maybe they'll ship everything in one package (when the two MCU titles come out) despite what they said in the order acknowledgement email.

In the meantime, I popped into a local Bull Moose today, and while they didn't appear to have The Abyss or True Lies, they had a handful of copies of Aliens.

No, I didn't pick up a copy; (a) I'm patient, and (b) I was buying enough other things already.
I think they may be having supply issues. My Cameron titles (same as yours) didn't ship until about a week after they were released and I had pre-ordered them.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Question

I finally got the Aliens 4K, redeemed the digital code via VUDU and only got the theatrical cut. Is that right? What the best redemption method for True Lies and The Abyss?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Question

I finally got the Aliens 4K, redeemed the digital code via VUDU and only got the theatrical cut. Is that right? What the best redemption method for True Lies and The Abyss?
That, unfortunately, is correct, even if you redeemed thru Movies Anywhere. You can contact Walt Disney Home Entertainment Customer Service to register a complaint. The Abyss has the same issue.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Question

Anyone disappointed that the digital copies of Aliens and The Abyss did NOT include the Special Edition cuts in 4K can call Disney Home Entertainment customer service at 888-223-4369. Currently, they are only collecting feedback, but if they receive plenty of complaints, they may actually fix the issue retroactively.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks