What's new

Cactus Flower / Age of Consent - double bill from Mill Creek (1 Viewer)

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I was kind of hoping for a Twilight Time release of Cactus Flower. I'm nervous about Mill Creek titles. They are hit or miss when it comes to picture quality. Twilight Time has higher standards.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I was kind of hoping for a Twilight Time release of Cactus Flower. I'm nervous about Mill Creek titles. They are hit or miss when it comes to picture quality. Twilight Time has higher standards.

Well, I believe Mill Creek is getting their masters from the same Source that TT does: Sony. They are generally superb, even on these very inexpensive double-feature releases. I've only been disappointed with REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN. True, the M.C. releases have no bonus materials, but here we have a "better this than nothing" situation, and most of the Columbia titles are much better than nothing. I wouldn't sweat the quality of these most recent titles.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Mill Creek is normally not given the new masters that Twilight Time are given, and most of their releases are older masters and anything but superb, IMO. They're not bad, but they're not the new Crisp masters.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I don't have many Mill Creek blu rays but their blu rays of Sony's The Lady From Shanghai and Postcards From The Edge look first rate to these old eyes. I was hoping for a TT release too but if this is all that we're going to get, I'll take it. I think it's unlikely Sony would license a title on blu ray to one company while planning on licensing it to another company (like TT) too. But in the event, they do, the Mill Creek is inexpensive enough that I won't feel ripped off upgrading to a TT of Cactus Flower.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
We are damn lucky we have Age of Consent, which was restored and made into a special edition Blu Ray set in Australia. All the film elements had been shipped to USA for theatrical release way back then and lost later. It was found in Westinghouse/GroupW vaults or whatever with the cans marked for destruction but it had not happened which was pure luck. That's a caricature of Helen Mirren on the cover and she does do a nude scene.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
We are damn lucky we have Age of Consent, which was restored and made into a special edition Blu Ray set in Australia. All the film elements had been shipped to USA for theatrical release way back then and lost later. It was found in Westinghouse/GroupW vaults or whatever with the cans marked for destruction but it had not happened which was pure luck. That's a caricature of Helen Mirren on the cover and she does do a nude scene.
Mirren does do more than one nude scene. At any rate, any Powell film deserves better than a Mill Creek release. I did see a 35mm print at MoMA and it's a very good film.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mirren does do more than one nude scene.

Yes, that's how I remember the film. I saw it when it first came out but I've never seen it since, not even on television. I might buy this disc if informed opinion confirms the picture quality is good. I won't buy it if the images are poor.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Most unusual double feature. I like Age of Consent very much; Helen Mirren is excellent as is James Mason. The movie is beautifully filmed in Australia. There was an excellent DVD set issued a number of years ago with several other Powell films.
Cactus Flower is delightful and always good viewing.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Most unusual double feature. I like Age of Consent very much; Helen Mirren is excellent as is James Mason. The movie is beautifully filmed in Australia. There was an excellent DVD set issued a number of years ago with several other Powell films.
Cactus Flower is delightful and always good viewing.

Yes I thought it an odd pairing. Must admit I've not seen Cactus Flower but can't see what it has in common with Age of Consent as a genre. I wouldn't really describe Age of Consent as a comedy. More of a light drama.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Well, I believe Mill Creek is getting their masters from the same Source that TT does: Sony. They are generally superb, even on these very inexpensive double-feature releases. I've only been disappointed with REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN. True, the M.C. releases have no bonus materials, but here we have a "better this than nothing" situation, and most of the Columbia titles are much better than nothing. I wouldn't sweat the quality of these most recent titles.

They are hit or miss. Old Gringo, Punchline, Suspect are bad transfers. But Lady from Shanghai, The Wild One, some of the Hammer titles are decent enough. Twilight Time would not have released quite a few of the titles Mill Creek released. I'll keep an open mind on this release. It will be cheap enough at least.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
They are hit or miss. Old Gringo, Punchline, Suspect are bad transfers. But Lady from Shanghai, The Wild One, some of the Hammer titles are decent enough. Twilight Time would not have released quite a few of the titles Mill Creek released. I'll keep an open mind on this release. It will be cheap enough at least.

Goldie is good in CACTUS FLOWER and won an Oscar for it. If you have a hankering for seeing her nude (and it's not very flattering), you need THERE'S A GIRL IN MY SOUP.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Goldie is good in CACTUS FLOWER and won an Oscar for it. If you have a hankering for seeing her nude (and it's not very flattering), you need THERE'S A GIRL IN MY SOUP.
Two more films I saw when they were first released but which I've never seen again. I enjoyed them both.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Anyone know if AGE OF CONSENT is a Sony title in the UK? If so, maybe there is a chance that Indicator has licensed it.

Jasper70

Second Unit
Real Name
Harold
Why can’t they post if a release has subtitles? I looked at a few of their releases I own to see if they stated it, only one did but I know the ones I have do indeed have subtitles even though they don’t mention it. I can’t understand why MC doesn’t realize this is important to some potential customers. Shout does it. TT does it. KL is hit and miss.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I don’t care for double features; I’d rather one perdisc... however, I’ll be getting CACTUS FLOWER because Goldie Hawn won for her performance, And I’m partial to her films.

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
I'm partial to Goldie too, and I'm also a Matthau fan, but the main draw for me is Ingrid Bergman. I have adored her since I was 10. The most gifted and versatile actress and most beautiful and enchanting woman who ever stepped in front of a camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chpsen
Recent bookmarks