What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Choose The Best Summer Movie Season ('89-'06) (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Ooooh, 1980 is looking very good as I love the first 5 movies on that list and Empire is my favorite movie of all time. :emoji_thumbsup:

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Friday the 13th isn't on the 1980 list. It was the second highest grossing film of the year, if I recall correctly. I know for sure that it unseated Empire at the Box Office. Man, it's hard to believe that one movie could be number one at the box office for over a month, what with the "blockbuster of the week" release pattern we have now. It's rare enough that movies stay on top for two weeks.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Of the 1989 to date timespan, I'm going with 1997. Many hate "Lost World", but I liked it, and I also enjoyed "MIB", "Face/Off", "Hercules" and "AFO". All the summers have their ups and downs, but this is the one most represented in my collection...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

That came out in December. Sure, that's summer in Australia, but they didn't get it until May 1983, when it was winter for them, so you can't win either way! ;)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

I also feel that the Lost World has aged really well and think it's a much better movie now than I did iniitially. In some ways its stronger than the first film, definitely in cinematography. I think if folks went back to watch it again, they'd be very surprised at it.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Overall, I'd say that 1982 and 1984 had the best summer lineups during the last 31 years. Both years were loaded with fantastic movies, but of the years that are listed, I'd say that 1999 and 2004 were the strongest in terms of variety.

If I had to pick the "greatest summer ever", it has to be 1982.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Between the films already mentioned, plus Sophie's Choice and The Verdict, count me in as someone who really appreciated the summer of 1982.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
1994 wins easily. Speed and True Lies were both terrific action films that still hold up to this day. Forrest Gump might be inferior to both Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption, but it's still a great film. And of course The Lion King was insanely popular that summer.

2002 is probably my 2nd favorite. Episode II was the only prequel I enjoyed. Minority Report was incredible. Signs was really good. Spider-Man was a solid start to the franchise and made a huge amount of jack. Goldmember was a nice recovery from the dreadful Spy Who Shagged Me. And The Bourne Identity was cool.

1993 wasn't too shabby either. I think Jurassic Park is vastly overrated, but we got two outstanding thrillers that summer with In the Line of Fire and The Fugitive.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I would say 2003, then 1999 (I would include Matrix), then 2002, then 1989, then 2005.

Honorable Mention: 1991, 1994 (I really liked The Last Action Hero).

Worst: 1996; 2001

Josh.C

Second Unit
I'm gonna step out on a limb here and be the guy that admits, I actually enjoyed 1996 and think 1997 was the year that should be the one that gets the fist.

Maybe it was just good timing, combined with the fact that I had several great movie date experiences that summer, but I enjoyed Twister, Mission Impossible, The Rock, Eraser, and Hunchback. Independance Day was kind of dumb but had entertaining moments. And the Nutty Professor was hilarious. Granted, none of these movies are going to cause any deep thought, but they made for some fun times at the movie's for me that summer.

Now '97 is a different story. Lost World, MIB, Batman & Robin are three of my all time greatest let downs. And who can forget that horrible attempt at a Southern accent by Nick Cage in Con Air. Air Force One, Face/Off, and My Best friends Wedding are its only redeeming films, and they aren't great.

Put me down for Worst Summers- 1997, 1999, & 2001
Best Summers- 1989, 1994, 2002
Honorable mention- 1993, 1996, 1998, 2005

JC

CoreyII

Second Unit
Pete-D said:
Looking back on things what do you guys feel would be the best summer movie season? I'll list the notables starting from 1989 ...

1999-
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
The Sixth Sense
Austin Powers 2
The Blair Witch Project
Runaway Bride
Notting Hill
American Pie
The Mummy
Tarzan

Hey Pete,

I'm surprised you and everyone on this panel forgot what is perhaps the biggest surprise of 1999, "The Matrix".

While not a big fan of the Matrix films, I can't deny it's popularity and cultural impact.

Also for 1998, don't forget "Blade"

CoreyII

Second Unit
These two years may not have had as many movies over the summer season as the other eras, but I for one can never forget the the back to back summers of 1986 and 1987.

1986 gave me the one-two punch of Aliens and The Fly. And just when I thought it couldn't get any better, summer of 1987 gave me another combo in the form of Robocop and Predator. Four wonderful entries into the realm of sci-fi and horror.

Also for 86, let's not forget TopGun and the Karate Kid II.

***Summer of 1985 - Back to the Future, and of course Rambo: First Blood Pt.II

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

While it was a surprise hit, The Matrix was released at the beginning of April, and thus does not count as a summer movie. Once the summer season began on Memorial Day weekend, Episode 1 and other releases were the big story.

And am I remembering correctly that The Matrix was a mild hit at the box office, but quickly found life and popularity on home video and cable?

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
Put me down as another person submitting write-in candidates for the summers of 1982 and 1984.

However, from the list of years shown, I'm going with 2002 as being "the best," with 1999 and 2005 being close runner-ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks