What's new

Citizen Kane of Action movies? (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
In light of the clarification by the OP, scratch most of my films. :)

I will throw out one other selection that has some really well choreographed action sequences...

John Woo's Hard Boiled from 1992.

- Walter.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Isn't Speed considered a remake of sorts of the Japanese movie Bullet Train (available from TT)?
I don't think it was ever acknowledged as such, but it's definitely the same premise. Runaway Train is another good one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Clarity: yes, the best all around action flick: cinematography, story, action, acting, does it stand the test of time? Iconic?

Some great choices, SPEED, BULLIT, DIE HARD, DIRTY HARRY, FRENCH CONNECTION...

Not really sci-if, not really adventure, just pure ACTION.

Thanks everyone!
Why would 2012 qualify under those requirements?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In light of the clarification by the OP, scratch most of my films. :)

I will throw out one other selection that has some really well choreographed action sequences...

John Woo's Hard Boiled from 1992.

- Walter.
Why are you scratching most of your film suggestions under these requirements? "Clarity: yes, the best all around action flick: cinematography, story, action, acting, does it stand the test of time? Iconic?"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"Clarity: yes, the best all around action flick: cinematography, story, action, acting, does it stand the test of time? Iconic?"

Under those requirements my first choice would be "The Adventures of Robin Hood". Other choices are "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" and "Aliens". I have several more and some of them have already been named by others in this thread.

Last edited:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Raiders of the Lost Ark took inspiration from myriad sources to create an action movie that influenced every action movie that came after it, so if you are looking for the true Citizen Kane of action movies, Raiders should be at or near the top of the list.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I don’t know, Adventures of Robin Hood of any Indiana Jones movie is more an Adventure movie than an Action movie. They have action in it, sure, but are they Action movies?

Bullitt is one of my favourites, but I would consider it more as a Thriller with action than an Action movie.

Maybe I’ just too picky about it. ;)

I still have to think about it.
I’ll be back.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Adventure = Action to me as they didn't call them "Action" movies when "The Adventures of Robin Hood" was made.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don't know. I'd consider films like Lawrence of Arabia, Mutiny on the Bounty, and The Man Who Would Be King as adventures, but not action.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Why are you scratching most of your film suggestions under these requirements? "Clarity: yes, the best all around action flick: cinematography, story, action, acting, does it stand the test of time? Iconic?"

Because most of the films I've listed have other elements outside the action genre, most notably Science FIction. The Revenant is an adventure / survival / character study film so I don't know if it is disqualified, but action is a secondary or sub-genre for that particular film.

I don't know. Where do you draw the line? It seems like if other genres are prominent in the film, based on the OP's feedback then they don't fit the criteria of the thread.

One other film that is pure action is John Wick. I haven't seen the third film, so I don't know where it fits in the franchise, but I enjoyed the first film immensely.

- Walter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's not a film that I would call iconic nor does it have good acting and/or story.
Fair enough. It is definitely a guilty pleasure for me, but the guilty part probably disqualifies it.

I guess I'd pick The Seven-Ups.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough. It is definitely a guilty pleasure for me, but the guilty part probably disqualifies it.

I guess I'd pick The Seven-Ups.

Not sure it fits the category, but the car chase sequence is reason enough to make it worth consideration. Everyone talks about Bullitt and The French Connection but I'd put that chase in The Seven-Ups against either of those films. (Of course Bill Hickman was the common element in those three film chase sequences.)

I really love this film and the gritty '70s sensibility that inhabits every frame of the feature.

Which all reminds me of another favorite, from the standpoint of action sequences involving cars - Vanishing Point. Not sure it qualifies either, but I do enjoy talking / thinking about those features.

- Walter.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Not sure it fits the category, but the car chase sequence is reason enough to make it worth consideration. Everyone talks about Bullitt and The French Connection but I'd put that chase in The Seven-Ups against either of those films. (Of course Bill Hickman was the common element in those three film chase sequences.)...
And producer Philip D'Antoni.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not sure it fits the category, but the car chase sequence is reason enough to make it worth consideration. Everyone talks about Bullitt and The French Connection but I'd put that chase in The Seven-Ups against either of those films. (Of course Bill Hickman was the common element in those three film chase sequences.)

I really love this film and the gritty '70s sensibility that inhabits every frame of the feature.

Which all reminds me of another favorite, from the standpoint of action sequences involving cars - Vanishing Point. Not sure it qualifies either, but I do enjoy talking / thinking about those features.

- Walter.
If "Iconic" is a major factor, then The French Connection probably has to take the prize among those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks