What's new

Citizen Kane of Action movies? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't as an adventure movie is an action movie to me because they didn't really call them the latter until after the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Wiki attempts this definition:

"Adventure films are a genre of film that typically use their action scenes to display and explore exotic locations in an energetic way."

This makes sense to me, and I'd agree that "adventure films" are essentially a subset of "action films".

You can have an action film that's not adventure, but not vice versa...

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Léon: The Professional

Here's the scene where the crazy cop is sneaking up behind Leon, who's making an escape...
640px-Citizen-Kane-Welles-Collins.jpg

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This topic confuses me. I personally hate, hate, HATE Citizen Kane. I feel it is so overrated and is just a horrible, self indulgent movie. Does this mean I am supposed to list horrible action movies? So I guess my "Citizen Kane of action movies" would be the 80's Flash Gordan.

But with that off my chest..

I think that Raider of the Lost Ark and Aliens are my go-to movies when I want action. And I am not sure if it counts as action but Fifth Element is also in my top 3.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This topic confuses me. I personally hate, hate, HATE Citizen Kane. I feel it is so overrated and is just a horrible, self indulgent movie. Does this mean I am supposed to list horrible action movies? So I guess my "Citizen Kane of action movies" would be the 80's Flash Gordan.

But with that off my chest..

I think that Raider of the Lost Ark and Aliens are my go-to movies when I want action. And I am not sure if it counts as action but Fifth Element is also in my top 3.
Listen every movie has its detractors, but even those that dislike a particular film should be able to acknowledge a consensus opinion that runs counter to their own opinion.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I realize this isn’t a movie, but last night I was watching an episode of 24 and saw something badass I forgot.

A troubled FBI agent is provoked by a suspect being arrested at a warehouse, and the agent starts stabbing the suspect. Jack Bauer tries to intervene and is accidentally stabbed in the gut by the agent. Then, another bad guy enters with a gun, and Jack immediately pulls the knife out of his stomach, throws it at the bad guy, and it lands right in the bad guy’s neck. All in the span of a few seconds.

Badass.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
".....should be able to acknowledge a consensus opinion that runs counter to their own opinion."

I am sure the person who pointed out the naked emperor (emperor's new cloths tale) felt like I do about this film. LOL

I fully understand that the "popular opinion" is against me, but that does not make me wrong. :laugh:

But I digress..........

Sorry I am derailing the thread.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
No love for the Lethal Weapon films? They're a go-to choice in my house when we're looking for action.

I loved the first one. The whole point of "Lethal Weapon" Martin Riggs is that he is crazy. Suicidal, with a death wish making him unstable, and in fact a lethal weapon to bad guys because he cares not if he lives or dies.

At the end of the film he finds new found hope to live, and therefore is no longer a "lethal weapon" in that regard, just a good cop. So the sequels running on the "lethal Weapon" concept of crazy, suicidal cop aren't the same as the first movie. You are getting a "nerfed" version of Martin Riggs if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks