What's new

Press Release Columbia Classics 4k Collection (photos) (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Seems to me that
At least they are properly calling it Columbia Classics and not Sony Classics.

Well, aside from the fact that Jerry Maguire was a TriStar Pictures release, not a Columbia Pictures release. Yes, I know that Tristar is also owned by Sony, but let's not get into technicalities.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
One other thing. They should've saved Mr. Smith Goes to Washington goes to Washington for a Capra Collection set. All four of the "Capra Collection" titles (which includes Smith, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Lost Horizon, and You Can't Take It With You) Sony released on Blu-ray were from 4K restorations, as was the Criterion edition of It Happened One Night.

Those five movies would make a terrific set.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wonder, if since Dr. Strangelove is included in this set, if everything Columbia leased to Criterion for blu ray is available for Columbia to release in 4K or if it is on a film by film basis.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Ya know...despite my earlier comments, after reading through the detailed list of content, it’s looking pretty damn good. Even though I wouldn’t buy two of the titles separately if they were $5 each, an appealing price tag for the set would likely pull my trigger. That’s a lot of great stuff, even though I’ve grown weary of bulky sets that don’t play well with existing shelf space.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I wonder, if since Dr. Strangelove is included in this set, if everything Columbia leased to Criterion for blu ray is available for Columbia to release in 4K or if it is on a film by film basis.

Good question. My inclination is to believe that, since Criterion has no immediate plans to release anything on UHD, Sony doing so won't make them in direct competition.

I can see the dates that Criterion released their BD and DVD of Strangelove, and when Sony released one or another of their editions, but I don't know how much they overlapped, or even if they did. Same with Easy Rider. Other than that, I've no notion of what rights Criterion has with regard to competing releases from Sony.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Been waiting for a Lawrence of Arabia 4K UHD release and what happens. They go and release it in a Big Clumsy box with some other films I have No use for. ??? .... Unbelievable ! No Sale until it's released on it's Own.

Reactions: PMF

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
One other thing. They should've saved Mr. Smith Goes to Washington goes to Washington for a Capra Collection set. All four of the "Capra Collection" titles (which includes Smith, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Lost Horizon, and You Can't Take It With You) Sony released on Blu-ray were from 4K restorations, as was the Criterion edition of It Happened One Night.

Those five movies would make a terrific set.

I really doubt there's much of a market for a set of five 1.37:1 B&W monaural films - especially since two of them relied primarily on third generation film elements (Lost Horizon and You Can't Take It With You) for the 4K restorations.

Been waiting for a Lawrence of Arabia 4K UHD release and what happens. They go and release it in a Big Clumsy box with some other films I have No use for. ??? .... Unbelievable ! No Sale until it's released on it's Own.

It's only about $20 a film in this box and they appear to be in individual cases. I'll be putting the big box in my closet while the regular cases go on my shelf. You could probably eBay the rest of the films at a handsome profit while they're exclusive to the box set. Though, I'd at least keep Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Dr. Strangelove, which are just as great and classic as Lawrence of Arabia.

I don't care if this was $200, I'm not letting anything get between me and having Sir David Lean's greatest film on UHD as soon as possible.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I really doubt there's much of a market for a set of five 1.37:1 B&W monaural films - especially since two of them relied primarily on third generation film elements (Lost Horizon and You Can't Take It With You) for the 4K restorations.

It's only about $20 a film in this box and they appear to be in individual cases. I'll be putting the big box in my closet while the regular cases go on my shelf. You could probably eBay the rest of the films at a handsome profit while they're exclusive to the box set. Though, I'd at least keep Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Dr. Strangelove, which are just as great and classic as Lawrence of Arabia.

I don't care if this was $200, I'm not letting anything get between me and having Sir David Lean's greatest film on UHD as soon as possible.

It’s on digital at iTunes in 4K but yeah if you want a disc this might be it for now.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It's only about $20 a film in this box and they appear to be in individual cases. I'll be putting the big box in my closet while the regular cases go on my shelf

Amazon has it listed at $165, which I assume is the MSRP, since they just put the listing up. Which makes them about $27.50 a piece.

For releases in big, ungainly boxes that hold easily shelveable cases, I shelve the discs in the bookcases, and put the boxes on top of the bookcases for decor. I've done that with the Lawrence Limited Collector's Edition, Casablanca 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition, The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition, James Dean Ultimate Collector's Edition, and Universal's Monster Legacy DVD Collector's Set.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don't think Criterion has exclusive rights to anything. A number of their films are available in other DVD and blu-ray editions from their original distributors.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Two epics, two black and white movies with relaitvely little to gain in UHD and two movies that already were among the first to be released in other formats, probably due to their popularity that unfortunately eludes me.

I would hope that hose who voted for A League of their Own and Jerry Maguire still want to buy them even if they get released with 4 older movies that are very different from their favourites.

In terms of visual appeal A League of their Own actually may look quite good and I would hope for Gandhi to look even better. As for Jerry Maguire and the two black and white titles I would not exactly call them perfect ambassadors for the UHD format but I hope for a bit of an improvement over the Blu-ray versions and for Sony's usual restraint when releasing older movies in the UHD format.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I don't want 4k sets or extras ( which will mostly be 1080p anyway), just standalone discs. Although we want our favourites in UHD, most of them won't show much of an improvement. Only LOA from this list, although it isn't a big favourite of mine, the cinematography is worth the upgrade.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I'm Happy with my Lawrence Bluray. The PQ is Immaculate ! When the single 4K UHD finally gets released then I'll get it. It's Not like this Classic needs a Major restoration or upgrade.It's one of the Best looking Blurays ever.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I expected that I would one day get Lawrence in 4K, but since it is split on two discs, I won't get it.

Does it really matter if there's a break when the film has an intermission? I can't imagine watching Lawrence, Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments, Gone with the Wind, etc. without taking the proper 15 minute (or longer) break between acts. And if I'm getting up anyways, it's not a big deal to put in a second disc. Especially if that means we're getting Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Especially since if you had the Criterion CAV laserdisc set, you'd have to flip or change the discs seven times during the movie (at best, only change discs three times if you had a dual-side player).

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I expected that I would one day get Lawrence in 4K, but since it is split on two discs, I won't get it.
Oh for goodness sake. Just get up and off of your chair and switch the discs. Small price for such greater perfections.

Last edited:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The one Disc Bluray does Not look Good enough to you ? How much Better can it look.

As amazing the 2012 Blu-ray is, it doesn't hold a candle to how it looked in 4K projection when I caught one of the DCP screenings in 2012. Again, it doesn't mean the Blu-ray is bad, it's the best home media can offer. Same reason why people went from laserdisc to DVD, DVD to Blu-ray, and now Blu-ray to UHD.

Sony's UHD releases have consistently surprised me, especially on titles I didn't expect to make as much difference like The Bridge on the River Kwai or Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks