What's new
World Wide Stereo

Consumers cannot tell difference 8k vs. 4k (3 Viewers)

728x90

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I've seen nitrate at both George Eastman and The Egyptian in Hollywood, and I think part of the issue is that neither venue uses the old carbon arc projector lighting nitrate prints were timed for, rather than the newer Xenon lamps currently in use today.

Real Name
Robert Hart
I can see some benefit in shooting in 8k but 8k TVs are pointless or even a negative. It's yet another format released with no content support and even greater scaling artifacts to deal with.

We only just started getting 4k content... Now even that has to be upscaled... Not in my living room!

There are so many more important factors to image quality than the number of dots on-screen. Doubling the frame-rate, for example, would deliver a far more noticeable improvement than going from 4k to 8k.

They spread this film-grain nonsense every time a new format comes out. I remember reading that 4k pixels matched film grain size and the same with 2k. Your average 35mm print was way better in peoples memories than in reality....

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
But this one goes to 8, that's 4 more K.

8K Nigel.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks