What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Netflix Dead Boy Detectives (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Set in Neil Gaiman's Sandman universe, this series follows two British teenage ghosts: Edwin Paine, who was killed in a satanic ritual back in the Edwardian era; and Charles Rowland, a victim of the eighties punk rock scene. Soon after making the acquaintance of Crystal Palace, an amnesiac medium, they find themselves trapped in a town in the Pacific Northwest. Together, the trio solves supernatural mysteries involving the living and the dead, while the boys evade Death and Crystal tries to outmaneuver her demonic stalker.

I'm two episodes in and enjoying it. Even though all three protagonists are young, they've done a lot of living and have very distinct but developed skill sets. While the Pacific Northwest setting was clearly a means to make the show more cheaply in British Columbia, there's a nice sympatico between the region's weirdness and the supernatural weirdness.

The only slight misstep so far was the decision to make Crystal an American; Kassius Nelson is an English actress, and sometimes her accent slips.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I need to watch this. I loved the DBD comics. They previously appeared -- played by different actors -- in Season 3 of Doom Patrol. I believe it was intended to create a spin-off that from show, but it was decided to go in a different direction, hence this series (which has no connection to Doom Patrol).

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The only slight misstep so far was the decision to make Crystal an American; Kassius Nelson is an English actress, and sometimes her accent slips.
I just watched the first episode and enjoyed it a lot.

The line where the ghost says that Crystal was an American passed right by me as I thought she was English the whole episode. I had to go back to check on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks