What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Deadpool & Wolverine (2024) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
But I also think incorporating Deadpool into the MCU proper is something they desperately want to do, because (as pointed out above) what used to be cool is now very much NOT COOL, and they are hoping Deadpool can fix it.
I agree with parts of this.

This movie has probably been in development for a while. I don't think Marvel knew when they inherited the Deadpool franchise from Fox that Quantumania and The Marvels were going to underperform to such a drastic degree. So I don't think they entered making this movie looking at it as a potential fix for the MCU. If Quantumania and Marvels had been well-received, Deadpool and Wolverine would just be the next movie. It wasn't meant to have the weight of the larger franchise on its shoulders.

However, you are also absolutely correct that the movie is being thrust into the "fix it" position now. I'm not sure if that will actually be effective, though. Even if Deadpool and Wolverine is good, and I hope it is, it is just one movie. I don't think it will erase how people felt about the other recent MCU entries. We'll see what happens. It is kind of ironic that people were originally excited for Marvel to acquire the rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four back from Fox so that they could fix Fox's mistakes. Now they're bringing in stuff that originated in the Fox films hoping that it will prop up interest in the MCU again.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Exactly what I was getting at.

Scott didn't kill Kang. He killed a Kang. That was kind of the point of the "Legion of Kangs" mid-credits scene.

I know what you mean, but my point was that Scott defeated (not necessarily killed) Kang (even if he’s only a Kang), which:

(1) conforms to the rinse and repeat cycle I mentioned, which makes MCU films, some 30+ entries in, feel even more formulaic than during the earlier phases… if Scott and team were defeated (or even more shocking, Scott was killed), that would have shaken up the narrative a little since a titular hero is defeated/killed in a solo film;

(2) reduces the aura of invincibility Kang (or a Kang) had coming in to Quantumania (courtesy of He Who Remains from Loki). If one Kang can be dispatched so easily… etc.

I don’t know much about the Legion of Kangs, but I was expecting to see how powerful this Kang was, given he’s the next “Thanos”. But, for me, it deflated his power “score” when he was dispatched/defeated so easily by the end. Put another way, imagine if Thanos had appeared and been defeated in a solo film prior to Infinity War…

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Everyone's wondering about the tonal difference in having 4th wall breaking entering the MCU, but I'm really wondering about the very hard R rated violence and language that is common for DP films. That's going to be drastically different; will they tone it way down to PG-13 for an MCU film, or leave it as is? Toning it down would avoid parents taking their kids to MCU movies having a huge shock, and be good for MCU but bad for DP. Leaving it hard R would be good for DP but bad for MCU. Seems like a lose/lose, which is why it's weird to me that DP is going to be an official MCU movie.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Everyone's wondering about the tonal difference in having 4th wall breaking entering the MCU, but I'm really wondering about the very hard R rated violence and language that is common for DP films. That's going to be drastically different; will they tone it way down to PG-13 for an MCU film, or leave it as is? Toning it down would avoid parents taking their kids to MCU movies having a huge shock, and be good for MCU but bad for DP. Leaving it hard R would be good for DP but bad for MCU. Seems like a lose/lose, which is why it's weird to me that DP is going to be an official MCU movie.

Maybe they'll do something like Once Upon A Deadpool (the PG version of DP2).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Word's been all along that it'll be R-rated, but there's no way of knowing for sure until the film has finished post-production and has been submitted to the MPAA for rating.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Of course it will be R. It is very clear that the filmmakers are making it with the intention of an R rating. They know what they would have to do in order to get a PG-13. Marvel does this all the time when the character isn't Deadpool. They aren't doing that here.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Of course it will be R. It is very clear that the filmmakers are making it with the intention of an R rating.
Yeah. Generally speaking, PG-13 is the way to make more money but something like Deadpool is the rare time when they'll probably do better making it R because PG-13 isn't going to satisfy fans of the first two movies and it would result in a big online backlash (Marvel's had too many of those recently).

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I loved the first Deadpool movie and hated the second. Not going to rush out to the theater to see DP3. I’ll wait for this one to show up on a streaming service I sub to.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
GGTWKRtaMAAuqEc

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So it seems that Emma Corrin is playing
Cassandra Nova, Professor Xavier’s twin sister
, a character I am not familiar with.

Maybe someone can clarify for me who this is and how Emma Corrin, born in 1995 and who played Diana in the fourth season of The Crown, is playing
the twin of Patrick Stewart’s character, while he is 55 years older than her.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
So it seems that Emma Corrin is playing
Cassandra Nova, Professor Xavier’s twin sister
, a character I am not familiar with.

Maybe someone can clarify for me who this is and how Emma Corrin, born in 1995 and who played Diana in the fourth season of The Crown, is playing
the twin of Patrick Stewart’s character, while he is 55 years older than her.

a.) Details don't always match up between comics and movies.
b.) Deadpool doesn't care about things like details.
c.) We've already seen the TVA in the trailer, so we know that some sort of time jumping is involved, whether it's back and forth or sideways.
d.)
Xavier? Stewart or McAvoy?

Plus, it's Hollywood. I wouldn't worry about age differences here.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There is a flurry of activity today that Taylor Swift's new album contains clues that she will appear as Dazzler.

I don't like or dislike Taylor Swift. I respect that she's a phenomenon and that she's achieved Beatlemania-level of fan devotion, and I respect all the good things she does. (But I don't really listen to her music.) Marvel would have the casting coup of the decade to have her in the movie.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There is a flurry of activity today that Taylor Swift's new album contains clues that she will appear as Dazzler.
This is as probably as real as "Paul is dead" but I hope it's true because it would be hilariously crazy for the fans to have found clues about a secret movie cameo and even funnier if she's hiding clues about that in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks