What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DEADWOOD The Movie May 31 2019 (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Haven't watched the movie yet. My wife said we should watch the series again beforehand. I reluctantly agreed. But she was right. Watching the second time around makes me remember what a truly awesome show this was. I hope the movie is just as good. (I haven't read this thread, I don't want to be spoiled - lol)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Haven't watched the movie yet. My wife said we should watch the series again beforehand. I reluctantly agreed. But she was right. Watching the second time around makes me remember what a truly awesome show this was. I hope the movie is just as good. (I haven't read this thread, I don't want to be spoiled - lol)

I watched the movie, but it immediately inspired me to go through the series again, after which, I will enjoy the film again. Stick with your plan to screen the series first, and you will definitely find the film just, if not more, satisfying that way.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Haven't watched the movie yet. My wife said we should watch the series again beforehand. I reluctantly agreed. But she was right. Watching the second time around makes me remember what a truly awesome show this was. I hope the movie is just as good.
Good call. You could watch this without rewatching the series but as Wayne said, you'll get more out of it by seeing it again.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My wife and I just finished binging the entire series (second time for me in two months) and she loved it...more than Game Of Thrones. It’s her second favorite series after Twin Peaks.

As for the film..she loved it and was bawling and completely satisfied by the end.

Out on Blu July 1 I believe.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Finally got to watching this after rewatching the series for the first time since it came out. Anyway, that was a very good Deadwood movie! Thanks for all of your posts saying more eloquently than I could what was so good about it. A fitting end.

(On a side note, my favorite TV Western from the 1960s, The Virginian, is set in the 1890s in small town in Wyoming.)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Finally got to watching this after rewatching the series for the first time since it came out. Anyway, that was a very good Deadwood movie! Thanks for all of your posts saying more eloquently than I could what was so good about it. A fitting end.

(On a side note, my favorite TV Western from the 1960s, The Virginian, is set in the 1890s in small town in Wyoming.)

Medicine Bow. I don't know if that town exists, but Cody, Wyoming does and the museum there has the Virginian's (James Drury's) gun from the series.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Medicine Bow, Wyoming exists and has had a Post Office since 1869. Dippy, the most famous dinosaur skeleton in the world, was found in a nearby quarry in 1898-99. The Virginian Hotel, thought to be named for the famous novel written in Medicine Bow, The Virginian by Owen Wister, is a historic hotel in Medicine Bow. Construction on the hotel began in 1901 and was completed in 1911. The novel was loosely adapted for the NBC-TV series.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
On one of the streaming services. Perhaps it’s just the digital version.
Available to purchase digitally in HD for $14.99 from iTunes and Vudu.

Missed the $5.98 sale on iTunes when it was first released!

Gotta be patient and wait for another sale!

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I finally watched Deadwood: The Movie. Superb, and a great wrap-up to the series.
Though a lot of time had passed (both IRL & on the show), the characters seamlessly fell right back into their roles. The town had changed somewhat as well, but was still recognizable.

Really enjoyed the scene when Hearst was out-bid by Alma for Charlie Utter's land (especially given that he had Utter killed because he wouldn't sell the land to Hearst). What a scum-bag. Great scene also when Bullock stopped Hearst from being beaten to death in the street (after he arrested him) since it showed that Bullock was still following the law, even though he would definitely have liked to see Hearst get what he deserved.

I also liked the fact that the storyline was almost a direct continuation of events that had occurred years earlier - in the regular series. Excellent continuity here.

In essence, this film was as good as any episode(s) of the series, and maybe even better in some ways. Very impressive.

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hearst doesn't die or get executed but goes on to become even more powerful and build the largest news organization in America. Citizen Kane is based on his rise.

But I appreciate that the show left him in a moment of humiliation and incarceration, and it's probably just as well the story didn't proceed any further with what Hearst's retaliation might have been. We are left with a 'happy' and satisfying ending the way it is. The 'extra' on the BD is a brief documentary tribute and look at creator/writer/showrunner David Milch. It, however, is bittersweet as he is slipping into dementia.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The 'extra' on the BD is a brief documentary tribute and look at creator/writer/showrunner David Milch. It, however, is bittersweet as he is slipping into dementia.
For whatever reason, I got to thinking about this movie tonight, and how incredible it is that Milch got the script over the finish line despite steadily diminishing mental faculties, and set aside a career spent as a micromanager to embrace a production model that accommodated his growing limitations by entrusting his collaborators with far more autonomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale