What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
First, the good news; the restored 4K Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will be added to Disney Plus on October 16th.

Now, the bad news; it appears that the restored print of the short Chips Ahoy added to the service last Friday has unfortunately been censored to remove a brief scene of Donald puffing cigar smoke at Chip and Dale.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Now, the bad news; it appears that the restored print of the short Chips Ahoy added to the service last Friday has unfortunately been censored to remove a brief scene of Donald puffing cigar smoke at Chip and Dale.
If the short was to released to Blu-ray collection set, I bet the restored print would be Uncensored on Home Video, (I believe).

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I'm not completely sure I'm posting this is the correct location. My apologies in advance if I'm wrong.

Can anyone tell me if NYPD BLUE on HULU is in true HD. Meaning legit HD and not just an upconvert of an SD source to HD for streaming. Particularly the first 8 seasons. Thanks!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm not completely sure I'm posting this is the correct location. My apologies in advance if I'm wrong.

Can anyone tell me if NYPD BLUE on HULU is in true HD. Meaning legit HD and not just an upconvert of an SD source to HD for streaming. Particularly the first 8 seasons. Thanks!
I just checked, and they do not appear to be upscaled, since the titles do not appear to have any interlacing issues that some upscaled shows on Hulu have. NYPD Blue, the first 8 seasons, have been reframed for 16:9. This was an intentionally gritty-looking show, so it will likely appear to have more grain than you remember if you watched the how during its initial run in 4:3 on a 27" CRT.

This show appears much better than Ally McBeal did before it got pulled from the service last month. It was very obvious that show was upscaled and reformatted to 16:9 from the SD broadcast masters.

Disney has been getting some good press on their recent TV series remasters for the Hulu service - Moonlighting (which looks spectacular, better than it ever did in its initial broadcast where it always looked like they were 16mm prints) and LA Law which premieres next month. Both shows were shot on film, but LA Law (and possibly Moonlighting) had post production completed on standard definition video (common for filmed shows in the mid 1980s and most of the 90s). Supposedly, they have gone back to the original camera negatives and recompiled both shows with new scans, although there may be a few visual effects shots that could be upscaled rather than trying to do a Star Trek: Next Gen remaster. We will have to wait and see if LA Law is reformatted for 16:9, but Moonlighting did retain its original 4:3 broadcast aspect ratio.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just checked, and they do not appear to be upscaled, since the titles do not appear to have any interlacing issues that some upscaled shows on Hulu have. NYPD Blue, the first 8 seasons, have been reframed for 16:9. This was an intentionally gritty-looking show, so it will likely appear to have more grain than you remember if you watched the how during its initial run in 4:3 on a 27" CRT.

This show appears much better than Ally McBeal did before it got pulled from the service last month. It was very obvious that show was upscaled and reformatted to 16:9 from the SD broadcast masters.

Disney has been getting some good press on their recent TV series remasters for the Hulu service - Moonlighting (which looks spectacular, better than it ever did in its initial broadcast where it always looked like they were 16mm prints) and LA Law which premieres next month. Both shows were shot on film, but LA Law (and possibly Moonlighting) had post production completed on standard definition video (common for filmed shows in the mid 1980s and most of the 90s). Supposedly, they have gone back to the original camera negatives and recompiled both shows with new scans, although there may be a few visual effects shots that could be upscaled rather than trying to do a Star Trek: Next Gen remaster. We will have to wait and see if LA Law is reformatted for 16:9, but Moonlighting did retain its original 4:3 broadcast aspect ratio.

Wonder if they'll make these remasters available for purchase on Vudu/iTunes (preferably Vudu for me)?

_Man_

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Thank you very much for such a comprehensive response! And yes I did watch them all in their original run on ABC and on a 27" CRT too. I'm not particularly thrilled with the reframed 16:9 but after seeing other classic tv shows having the same process I've begun to get accustomed to it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wish someone would restore St Elsewhere
Domt know if it’s possible and don’t know how it was filmed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does anyone know how to which to the “Duo“ subscription from a Disney+ subscription? D+ only shows me the D+ annual or maybe the trio services. I find any way to convert to the Duo from Disney or Hulu. And their Help section doesn’t acknowledge the Duo bundle at all.

I can cancel and setup a new membership in my wife’s name. But then we lose all viewing history, a bit of a bother.

1699186028309.png

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Does anyone know how to which to the “Duo“ subscription from a Disney+ subscription? D+ only shows me the D+ annual or maybe the trio services. I find any way to convert to the Duo from Disney or Hulu. And their Help section doesn’t acknowledge the Duo bundle at all.

I can cancel and setup a new membership in my wife’s name. But then we lose all viewing history, a bit of a bother.

View attachment 203076
You may have to call support. If your subscription is cancelled but still active, you can’t switch to a bundle.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, they're a pain in the butt.

When I did it nearly a year ago, I found I had to cancel and wait for my existing sub to completely end... which would take too long... so I ended up just creating a new account and let them overlap for a couple months (since the new deal was so good and would also not last long enough to wait) IIRC...

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Disney+ added a Hulu tab today for those subscribers who have a bundle plan. The bad news is that titles we were hoping to get in Dolby Atmos when this happened, like Only Murders in the Building and Prey are still in only 5.1.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Disney+ added a Hulu tab today for those subscribers who have a bundle plan. The bad news is that titles we were hoping to get in Dolby Atmos when this happened, like Only Murders in the Building and Prey are still in only 5.1.
While "Prey" is still only 5.1 it is Dolby Vision.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I actually looked for the tab today in D+ and couldn’t find it. Maybe I was blind or going too fast. Doesn’t really matter, honestly, to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eliedisdisusa
Recent bookmarks