What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Robert Louis Stevenson’s compelling study of man’s conflicting natures found its definitive screen interpretation with Rouben Mamoulian’s 1931 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)

Released: 03 Jan 1932
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 98 min

Director: Rouben Mamoulian
Genre: Horror, Sci-Fi

Cast: Fredric March, Miriam Hopkins, Rose Hobart
Writer(s): Samuel Hoffenstein, Percy Heath, Robert Louis Stevenson

Plot: Dr. Jekyll faces horrible consequences when he lets his dark side run wild with a potion that transforms him into the animalistic Mr. Hyde.

IMDB rating: 7.6
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Paramount
Distributed By: Warner Archive
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Hopkins was a wonderful actress though I've heard a real handful to deal with. Supposedly Davis disliked her more than Crawford. Looks like a must buy from this amazing review and by the astonishingly brilliant master Mamoulian who staged the original productions of some of America's greatest musicals. He also directed Hopkins in Becky Sharp. I wonder how two such famously difficult people worked together.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hopkins was a wonderful actress though I've heard a real handful to deal with. Supposedly Davis disliked her more than Crawford. Looks like a must buy from this amazing review and by the astonishingly brilliant master Mamoulian who staged the original productions of some of America's greatest musicals. He also directed Hopkins in Becky Sharp. I wonder how two such famously difficult people worked together.
Davis wasn't exactly a cup of tea to deal with either. :D

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Not the same in my opinion, but back to Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.
Yes sir ----- and yes Miriam Hopkins was hated by Davis - never heard anything bad about Mr March never a bad performance either. Aged gracefully did not complain about Myrna Loy getting top billed in Best Years ---- does anyone know if he was the ONLY choice for Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde - as a top star seems he was kind of losing star status after A Star Is Born? Great read on Ms Hopkins! https://pre-code.com/famous-pre-code-actresses/miriam-hopkins/

Last edited:

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
love this great man, an actor's actor. oscars and tonys under his belt. so touching in this film when he breaks up with rose hobart. also great work in the fifties--- The Bridges at Toki ri, Middle of the Night, and The Desperate Hours with Bogie.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
love this great man, an actor's actor. oscars and tonys under his belt. so touching in this film when he breaks up with rose hobart. also great work in the fifties--- The Bridges at Toki ri, Middle of the Night, and The Desperate Hours with Bogie.
He was a great on Broadway! His performance in Best Years is a standout and he won the Academy Award

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thanks for remembering March’s excellent work!
He was an excellent actor - he won two Acadeny awards and Two Tony's Only Helen Hays did the same at the time. Love him in the film this thread is about. Amazing he was one of the few that bought a farm - in CT and they say he loved swinging an ax to clear his land. Then he would head to CA to make a film. Loved his answer when asked what would he do if he could not act any more he said that would never happen that he would stand up on the back of a truck and act there for free. What I do not get with this release is for years we had poor copies on this title how did they create such a stunning release?

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel

Davis wasn't exactly a cup of tea to deal with either. :D
Here’s hoping The Old Maid gets a blu-ray release soon as well. Saw it recently my first time on TCM. Brilliant!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The ending is very moving. And these two actresses didn't like each other? Kind of like the palpable friendship on screen in All About Eve between Davis and Holm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks