What's new
World Wide Stereo

Elac Atmos Speakers (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Their 'mom' writes books about dogs, they probably have experience posing for pictures.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Do the dogs stay in the room when you watch a movie? Or do they not like the sound, and get scared?
Let us know how you like the setup after some listening time please.
And congrats, and enjoy!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Let us know how you like the setup after some listening time please.

Circumstances haven't allowed me a LOT of opportunity to fire up Atmos soundtracks. But in those few pieces that I've tried, my kneejerk reaction is that I'm not getting a lot of separation between my fronts and heights. And by that I mean I'm not especially getting the sensation of overhead directionality from any of what I've listened-to, so far. But, on the other hand, the room feels fuller of sound, but I cannot be sure if that has anything to do with the Elacs or because of the new receiver.

That's my honest opinion after a few brief listening sessions.

Do the dogs stay in the room when you watch a movie? Or do they not like the sound, and get scared?

As long as things aren't TOO loud, they stick around. Heavy bass thumping inevitably gets their attention. Pete, the younger pup (the white-ish one) will actually watch the screen when action is taking place--ESPECIALLY if it involves a dog or some other animal. Any other dog I've ever had would never divert his gaze to the screen. But Pete will actually watch for extended periods of time. And if a movie soundtrack has a dog barking way off in the distance, his ears will also perk right up. Ernie (the older, darker one) doesn't hear too well, I think. He's 11+ years old. Pete, however, is just 2. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike,

Just remember that not all Atmos soundtracks are created equal. Some are superior with more Atmos activity.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's why I am reserving judgment on the Elacs. There's a lot of variables...and that's one of the most important! I gotta find something that, for sure, is designed to give me overhead fx.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It may be a bit difficult with your setup to get too much separation since your fronts are so high to start with. Most all of your sound, Atmos or not, is coming from a high angle.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It may be a bit difficult with your setup to get too much separation since your fronts are so high to start with. Most all of your sound, Atmos or not, is coming from a high angle.

Understood. A number of people earlier in this thread advised me that might be a strong possibility based on the pix of my setup. I now "fear" it may be true (although everything still sounds great). But I need to find a particular soundtrack (if anyone might be able to recommend one?) which they could point to a particular passage and say that I should really be able to hear xyz overhead to hopefully be able to discern things for certain.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Understood. A number of people earlier in this thread advised me that might be a strong possibility based on the pix of my setup. I now "fear" it may be true (although everything still sounds great). But I need to find a particular soundtrack (if anyone might be able to recommend one?) which they could point to a particular passage and say that I should really be able to hear xyz overhead to hopefully be able to discern things for certain.
In Ron's first post in his thread about pursuing Atmos, he suggests the first John Wick movie, if you have that:

The very first title I put into my Oppo Blu-ray player was John Wick. I had been told that this was a film that had a tremendous Dolby Atmos track. I would absolutely recommend this film for starters.

There is a scene, near the beginning of this film, where John Wick attends the funeral of his wife. The pouring rain could clearly be heard coming from above me. In fact, I replayed this scene several times, turned the lights on in my home theater, and walked around to each speaker. It was quite astonishing for me to hear how Dolby isolated the sound of the rain into the 4 upper height channels. The Dolby Atmos mix was working in my home theater environment.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In Ron's first post in his thread about pursuing Atmos, he suggests the first John Wick movie, if you have that:
Give Mad Max: Fury Road a try too.

Even though I've only got the Blu-ray of both those films, both Blus have the Atmos track so hopefully I can give them both a try tomorrow.

Thanks, fellas.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Even though I've only got the Blu-ray of both those films, both Blus have the Atmos track so hopefully I can give them both a try tomorrow.

Thanks, fellas.
The benefit of Fury Road is the surround goes full bore right from the opening scene. So, you get a pretty good impression right from the beginning.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The benefit of Fury Road is the surround goes full bore right from the opening scene. So, you get a pretty good impression right from the beginning.

What I'm going to need, though, is for it to be obvious that particular sounds are supposed to be coming from overhead.

I'm sure that Fury Road is going to sound kickass. In fact, every Atmos track I've tried has sounded really good. What I'm specifically unsure of is if the placing of Elacs on top of my elevated RTi4s is going to be effective in providing me the proper "height" fx.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to come back to this thread with a report.

But it's been a combination of lack of time to spend with the appropriate titles...and, frankly, uncertainty.

So this is an incomplete review...a work-in-progress, if you will.

I have sampled a number of Atmos titles. Among them MI: Fallout, La La Land (a title with which I am VERY familiar), and John Wick. The one thing I can say across-the-board is that my already satisfactory sound system sounds even more "full" with these dynamic soundtracks. But am I getting the proper overhead fx? That's where I'm not sure. I listened to the cemetery scene in John Wick and wasn't overwhelmed with overhead audio...but when I listened to the scene in MI: Fallout when Tom Cruise and the other guy jumped out of a cargo plane at the beginning of the film that, in particular, sunded really enveloping. La La Land sounded especially spacious.

It's so much fun when I have the excuse to play some of these scenes LOUD.

I'm going to keep working at this--as time allows--but as of now, I am of the opinion that the Elacs are definitely giving me something more than what I had before...so I'm definitely keeping them in place. But I'm still not sure if they are giving me the fx that I'm supposed to be getting. And, unfortunately, part of the problem is that I've never heard a home Atmos system before to have a point of comparison.

But I am, for sure, pleased with the idea of a more enveloping soundscape. Maybe I'm overthinking this too much.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm guessing there's a limit on the "effect" that can be achived using these reflecting-type speakers. I'm still thinking about going this route at some point, as there's really no easy/good way for me to install dedicated Atmos apeakers on the ceiling of my room. I think probably "fuller; more enveloping" is likely the best I can hope for, as well.

Though Atmos tracks already sound pretty damn good through my 7.1 system, so I'm not sure if it's even necessary.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

But it's been a combination of lack of time to spend with the appropriate titles...and, frankly, uncertainty.

I have sampled a number of Atmos titles. Among them MI: Fallout, La La Land (a title with which I am VERY familiar), and John Wick. The one thing I can say across-the-board is that my already satisfactory sound system sounds even more "full" with these dynamic soundtracks. But am I getting the proper overhead fx? That's where I'm not sure. I listened to the cemetery scene in John Wick and wasn't overwhelmed with overhead audio...but when I listened to the scene in MI: Fallout when Tom Cruise and the other guy jumped out of a cargo plane at the beginning of the film that, in particular, sunded really enveloping. La La Land sounded especially spacious.

I'm going to keep working at this--as time allows--but as of now, I am of the opinion that the Elacs are definitely giving me something more than what I had before...so I'm definitely keeping them in place. But I'm still not sure if they are giving me the fx that I'm supposed to be getting. And, unfortunately, part of the problem is that I've never heard a home Atmos system before to have a point of comparison.

But I am, for sure, pleased with the idea of a more enveloping soundscape. Maybe I'm overthinking this too much.
Well Mike, I think part of your problem is that the speakers are just too close to the ceiling which some of us were concern about earlier in this thread. Also, as I stated previously, not all Atmos soundtracks are created equally. Some Atmos soundtracks are much more active than other film Atmos soundtracks. Anyhow, I'm happy for you that you're getting some benefit out of this Atmos change even if it's not optimal results.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Noticed the ELAC A4.2 Atmos speakers are on sale now for $200/pair. Wondering if they would make good, inexpensive options for ceiling mounting for direct firing Atmos ceiling speakers, instead of using them (as originally intended) for ceiling bounce...

I probably won't actually have my dedicated HT room ready until Spring, but since they're on sale... and I will likely have most of the needed gear (over the next month or two) before that room is actually ready, maybe I could try them ceiling bounced in my livingroom setup for a couple months before moving everything to the dedicated room...

Ceilings are all 8ft (whether livingroom or the dedicated HT room), if that matters. IF I try bouncing them in my livingroom (before moving to the dedicated room), they'll probably be ~4ft high... and will probably be able use 1 pair effectively (enough) there since the rear wall is only a couple feet behind.

IF the A4.2s are significantly inferior to other options that cost ~$200-250 for each speaker, I'd certainly consider spending the extra... though I'm not too crazy about putting holes in the ceiling for in-ceiling mount even though I should be able to...

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks much in advance...

_Man_

Last edited:

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Putting holes in the ceiling is something not to worry about. You can patch them super cheap with all purpose compound. It comes pre-mixed in a small tub, and it is dirt cheap.Comes out like peanut butter, just use a putty knife and spread it over the hole dry and paint done.
As far as the bounce method, you could mount a smooth object like a mirror, or a piece of glass, or anything smooth up on the ceiling and literally aim the item on the ceiling at the listening area. A way to be exact would be to put a small flashlight, or a laser pen on top of the speaker that is aimed at the ceiling and tilt the object up on the ceiling until the light lands about ear level of a person sitting. You could use a real person if you want to but not with the laser. that can hurt someones eyes. Just remember that in an Atmos system ALL the speakers receive full bandwidth full frequency response signals equally. Ideal situation is to have ALL speakers exactly the same. I mean same manufacturer, same size, same drivers, same crossovers and crossover points. For some people that is not practical. So you might want to go all reasonably small speakers, matched up with at least 1 subwoofer.
Before I found the information about even the height speakers putting out full range signals, I bought small bracket mounted speakers that could both tilt, and swivel to aim at the listening spot. No matter what movie, they just didn't get loud enough to match the large floor standers. Good luck either way you go, but please share your results with the thread. Have a nice holiday and stay safe.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Having now lived with these ELAC speakers for a year, do you have any additional insight/opinion?

I have people asking me for Christmas gift ideas that can be ordered, and this was one I was thinking about.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Having now lived with these ELAC speakers for a year, do you have any additional insight/opinion?

I have people asking me for Christmas gift ideas that can be ordered, and this was one I was thinking about.

I wish I had something pithy to add, Malcolm. But I think I feel the same as I did back then--not that that's a BAD thing.

I think the fact that my ELAC's are just about two feet from my 9' ceiling diminish the "bounce" effect that firing-up height speakers are supposed to give. But, OTOH, I really think they really help fill the room with sound. With the right soundtrack, it feels like sound is coming from everywhere!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks