What's new
World Wide Stereo

Elac Atmos Speakers (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Malcolm:

Let me add this.

Tonight Peg was talking about her desire to see the inside compartments of some of these old railway cars that have been refurbished and are housed at the Albany/Rensselaer train station when not in use. Really rich people buy them, renovate the interiors and then use them to travel as their own personal rail cars.

So, I dug out my unwatched Blu-ray copy of Rocky Mountain Express. I had read that the Atmos soundtrack was phenomenal. And now, having watched it, I can confirm that to be true!! It sounded like the steam engine featured in the IMAX film which details the history of the Canadian Pacific Railroad was rushing through my living room. Even Peg was impressed...and she is rarely impressed by loud, immersive audio tracks.

So, I continue to believe that I am getting great benefit from the ELACs--even if not exactly as intended.

728x90

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So, bringing this thread back to life. I recently got a pair of Sony reflecting Atmos modules that work like the Elacs and sit on top of the left/right fronts and bounce sound up to the ceiling. I just installed these today and haven't had much time to play with them yet, but just firing up the system was a bit of a disappointment as I discovered, apparently:

and I would have to lose the rear center speakers in my current 7.1 setup, as my Denon model will only do either 7.1 or 5.1.2 -- not 7.1.2.

I guess I didn't absorb this from the earlier discussion, and had I paid attention I likely wouldn't have bothered to order these (fortunately they were only $100 for the pair). Very disappointed to find I seemingly cannot run a full 7.1.2 system. The best it will do, I guess, is Atmos 5.1.2 by losing the back surrounds, or I have to forego Atmos and run a 7.1 system. Unless I'm missing something in my AVR, but I've been through every setting I can think of and cannot get the back surrounds to engage when Atmos is running.

So I'll have to spend some time running things with Atmos 5.1.2 and see if it's any improvement over running a normal 7.1 system. If not, I guess I'll just stick with 7.1 until I reach a point where I want to upgrade the AVR again.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Malcolm what model AVR is the Denon? Something doesn't sound right to me. I want to read the owners manual. You maybe can run a signal out of a pre amp output to an external amp for expansion.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, I think that's what I'd have to do.

I actually don't currently have a Denon, it's a Yamaha RX-681 (my last AVR was Denon, but it was not Atmos capable).

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/8/794378/RX-V781_RX-V681_Manual_English.pdf
Unfortunately, your receiver clearly states that it's 7 channels. There's no facility to add an external amplifier for more channels. So, it's 5.x.2 or 7.x, which is standard in sub $1K receivers.

It looks like maybe you can keep all the speakers connected and switch between 5.x.2 and 7.x without swapping cables, but not run all 9 speakers at once.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So, bringing this thread back to life. I recently got a pair of Sony reflecting Atmos modules that work like the Elacs and sit on top of the left/right fronts and bounce sound up to the ceiling. I just installed these today and haven't had much time to play with them yet, but just firing up the system was a bit of a disappointment as I discovered, apparently:

I guess I didn't absorb this from the earlier discussion, and had I paid attention I likely wouldn't have bothered to order these (fortunately they were only $100 for the pair). Very disappointed to find I seemingly cannot run a full 7.1.2 system. The best it will do, I guess, is Atmos 5.1.2 by losing the back surrounds, or I have to forego Atmos and run a 7.1 system. Unless I'm missing something in my AVR, but I've been through every setting I can think of and cannot get the back surrounds to engage when Atmos is running.

So I'll have to spend some time running things with Atmos 5.1.2 and see if it's any improvement over running a normal 7.1 system. If not, I guess I'll just stick with 7.1 until I reach a point where I want to upgrade the AVR again.
I will be interested to hear about how well the Sony speakers work for Atmos for you. When we remodeled our family room back in December, I did not reconnect my rear center speakers. So I can use two Atmos speakers for a 5.1.2 setup now that I am no longer running a 7.1 system. Installing speakers in the ceiling is not something I am willing to do.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It looks like maybe you can keep all the speakers connected and switch between 5.x.2 and 7.x without swapping cables, but not run all 9 speakers at once.
Yes, switching audio modes switches which speakers are active without swapping any cables. I can easily switch from the Atmos speakers to the back surrounds by choosing a non-Atmos option.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The ELAC Atmos bounce speakers went on sale today for $230 at the big A so I ordered a pair. I’ll play with them over the holiday and see if I like what they do in my room.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My Elacs arrived late Tuesday and I got a chance to hook them up this morning and re-ran Audyssey with them engaged as front Dolby speakers. It’s amazing the things one can do when their wife is asleep upstairs at 5AM. :D

Even though my ceiling is very sub-optimal (14.5’ tall at the front of the HT and sloping down to 8’ tall at the rear of the HT, I was able to notice a subtle difference in how the entire front soundstage of my HT sounds.

It seems to have opened up the fronts and added a sense of atmosphere (maybe that’s longhand for Atmos?) to my HT. I also noticed the center channel seems to be clearer and my mains sound smoother. Maybe that’s just placebo, but it’s definitely worth the $229 I paid.

Final verdict: Maybe the Elacs are not working exactly as intended because of the slope of my ceiling (ceiling-mounted speakers are a no-go for me because of poor WAF) and they could sound much better with a flat ceiling, but I like what they’re doing anyway and it works for me. I’ll keep them.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
My Elacs arrived late Tuesday and I got a chance to hook them up this morning and re-ran Audyssey with them engaged as front Dolby speakers. It’s amazing the things one can do when their wife is asleep upstairs at 5AM. :D

Even though my ceiling is very sub-optimal (14.5’ tall at the front of the HT and sloping down to 8’ tall at the rear of the HT, I was able to notice a subtle difference in how the entire front soundstage of my HT sounds.

It seems to have opened up the fronts and added a sense of atmosphere (maybe that’s longhand for Atmos?) to my HT. I also noticed the center channel seems to be clearer and my mains sound smoother. Maybe that’s just placebo, but it’s definitely worth the $229 I paid.

Final verdict: Maybe the Elacs are not working exactly as intended because of the slope of my ceiling (ceiling-mounted speakers are a no-go for me because of poor WAF) and they could sound much better with a flat ceiling, but I like what they’re doing anyway and it works for me. I’ll keep them.
Clinton you may have saved yourself a headache by not ceiling mounting them. Dolby has come round to copying the angle or height if you will of Auro. One set up or one speaker placement is good for all three codecs, Atmos, DTSX, and the best of the rest Auro. I was going to mount floorstander that weighed 75lbs a piece on the ceiling firing straight down. The custom mounts were going to cost me over 1000$ and the wife was ready for a divorce LOL. I never got it done, and since then I have discovered that high on the wall above the bottom 5.1 layer is the best way to go. Check out this video. 30 degrees is the now agreed upon angle for ALL codecs.

There is many more vids on YouTube from Wilfried, he is way advanced on his designs. I also have Atmos in an Anthem AVM 60, but I am going to mount my speakers Wilfried's way.

Post some pics for us. And happy Thanksgiving!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We are of one mind on this, Clinton. I had EXACTLY the same feeling and have kept mine in service, too! :D

Congrats!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bob. I think you're sending yourself down a new rabbit hole.

Isn't The FOMO guy here on HTF?

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

We are of one mind on this, Clinton. I had EXACTLY the same feeling and have kept mine in service, too! :D

Congrats!
I think that's exactly what the reflecting speakers can do. You won't get the distinct overhead sounds of an ideal setup, but how many people can do that? They fill in the front a bit, and that's something.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Bob. I think you're sending yourself down a new rabbit hole.

Isn't The FOMO guy here on HTF?
I am out of the rabbit hole. I have committed to mounting above the front R and L and above the rear R and L and tilting towards the seating position. I will let you know how it comes out. I purchased mounts that hold 20lbs and the speakers CM5s are a little over 11lbs. Everything is on the way so when it arrives I will post pics. One of the videos has Wilfried stating that if the height speakers at least go down to 100hz than the timbre won't be noticeable of a difference. I will have to build custom cabinets that are smaller than the full size ones in my cellar. But then I will have ALL 9 speakers the exact same drivers and crossovers. That will make the height layer as good as it can get. The ceiling mounts were always a problem. Wall mounting is SOOOOOOOO much easier. I remember you stating that your theater was in the cellar with low ceilings. One of the vids addresses this situation. They suggest moving the speakers a little bit more forward towards the seating position. You should hear what Wilfried has to say about it.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Here are a couple of shot of the Elacs sitting on top of my Paradigm Monitor 9s.

9C22173E-B999-482D-9B97-417EFA150C80.jpeg 95DDDC97-2FED-4AD1-A903-03F716CB0552.jpeg FF0EE35E-6560-4FF6-B3A6-2258C50B040D.jpeg DFF16EEA-5189-4B96-8048-82AAD3429164.jpeg

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
They look awesome Clinton! Did you think of putting a super reflective material on the ceiling like glass or something like that. You could use mirrors to find the exact spot where it hits the ceiling. The old trick of finding the first reflection off the side walls is to sit down and move a mirror along the side walls until you see the front speaker in the mirror from your seat. We all have to live with compromise but as long as we try to get things as good as they can be it usually is more than good enough. You have a nice looking system as well!

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
They look awesome Clinton! Did you think of putting a super reflective material on the ceiling like glass or something like that. You could use mirrors to find the exact spot where it hits the ceiling. The old trick of finding the first reflection off the side walls is to sit down and move a mirror along the side walls until you see the front speaker in the mirror from your seat. We all have to live with compromise but as long as we try to get things as good as they can be it usually is more than good enough. You have a nice looking system as well!
Thanks Bob. Anything on the ceiling would fail WAF. Not a hill I want to die on. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks