What's new

Emotiva Releases BasX A11 - Eleven Channel Power Amp ($1,299) (2 Viewers)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BasX_A11.jpg

Emotiva has just announced the impressive BasX A11 Eleven channel power amp at the price of $1,299. I believe this is a much needed component, in the world of Atmos/DTS:X. The specs are truly surprising, and Emotiva has always been quite conservative with their power ratings. IOW, their amps provide the power that's stated, if not more.

They provide an array of power specs, which are copied below, and I'd like to dive into them a bit.

First off, this is a large amp, measuring 17" wide, 7 3/4" high, 15 1/2" deep, and weighing 51 lbs.

The specs from their site...

• Power Output (ALL channels driven):
    105 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD < 0.1%; into 8 Ohms.
    140 watts RMS per channel; 1 kHz; THD < 1%; into 4 Ohms.
  • Power Output (two channels driven):
    160 watts RMS per channel; into 8 Ohms.
    260 watts RMS per channel; into 4 Ohms.
  • Power Output (5 channels driven):
    145 watts RMS per channel; into 8 Ohms.
    200 watts RMS per channel; into 4 Ohms.
  • Power Output (7 channels driven):
    125 watts RMS per channel; into 8 Ohms.
    180 watts RMS per channel; into 4 Ohms.
  • Power Bandwidth (at rated power; 4 Ohm - 8 Ohm load): 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+ / – 0.07 dB)
  • Broad Band Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 80 kHz +0/-1.8 dB
  • THD + noise: < 0.02% (A-weighted); ref rated power
  • Signal to Noise Ratio (8 Ohm load):
    > 115 dB; ref rated power; (A-weighted).
  • Minimum Recommended Load Impedance (per channel): 4 Ohms
    (which equals one 4 Ohm load or two paralleled 8 Ohm loads).
  • Damping Factor (8 Ohm load): > 500.
  • Input Sensitivity (for rated power; 8 Ohm load): 1.2 V.
  • Gain: 29 dB.
  • Input Impedance: 27 kOhms.

I'd like to spell out what some of these specs mean in the real world.

An important one is the Two Channel spec. This shows the maximum output the amp channels are capable of. So, it is capable of outputting up to 160/260 watts (8 Ohm/4 Ohm) to any of the channels. This is important, because most of the channels in surround sound, particularly anything other than the front three, never have much power demand placed on them. Especially overhead channels with Atmos and DTS:X, where home mixes often have little to no actual sound steered to them. When they do, it's mostly higher frequencies, which don't need much power. Since the challenge to all channels driven is the amount of power the amp has coming from the power supply, in the real world there will never be more than three channels outputting the full capability, and the amp will never be strained in all eleven channels at the same time.

The two channel specs need to be considered along with the others, especially the all channel one, which still maintains an impressive 105 watts into 8 Ohm. That does bring us the one non-spec in the entire list, where the 4 Ohm spec is a 1 kHz tone with high distortion. As impressive as this amp is, it's not one to drive a system made up of entirely 4 Ohm speakers in a large room at extremely high levels or with especially inefficient speakers. Having said that, there will never be a situation where all the channels are driven to capacity, for the reasons I've already explained. So, the bottom line is, Unlike any receiver, this amp is absolutely suitable for driving almost any system that has several (or all) 4 Ohm speakers.

I think it's safe to say that in real world conditions, your front three speakers should always be able to receive at least the five channel driven spec of 145/200 watts. There is no receiver in existence which can match that power. In addition, the $1,299 price makes is entirely possible to step down one level in a receiver line, such as from a Denon 6xxx series to 4xxx series and add this amp at roughly the same total cost, for those who want to stick with a receiver as the base of their system. It's just necessary for that receiver to have preamp outputs for all channels.

Common for Emotiva, the BasX A11 is a Class H design. Where Class D is becoming more common, Emotiva seems to prefer to design their amps from the ground up, and a basic reality of Class D amps is the Class D output has to be purchased from one of the handful of companies who specialize in them. Instead, Emotiva prefers traditional Class A/B, and more commonly Class H, which is a variation on Class A/B. In Class H, as opposed to using a linear power supply to power the output, it uses a switch mode power supply which monitors the power demands at a rate of around 200,000 Hz, increasing and decreasing it as needed. This results in efficiency and lower heat generation similar (but not equal) to Class D. With reasonable ventilation, Class H designs should never have heat issues.

What's unusual here is Emotiva has always limited Class H designs to their high power XPA amp lines. All the other BasX amps have always been traditional Class A/B. I suspect Class H doesn't make a lot of sense with amps that aren't several hundred, or even a thousand watts per channel. What is different here is the sheer number of channels, so the potential for total power consumption is rather high, and the Class H design makes sense.

I think this amp is a real winner for more serious home theater owners, who have never quite wanted to go the separates route, as well as for those who were always tempted, but held back my the number and cost of amps needed to build a full blown Atmos/DTS:X system. Combined with a pre/pro like a Marantz AV7706, the BasX A11 can create a better all around option than any top-of-the-line receiver, probably at a lower price.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When I originally wrote the first post, I was in a bit of a hurry, and realized I didn't explain things as well as I'd like. So I've edited the post to fill in more details and explain more.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I feel attacked :)
Not intended that way, for certain. :P

However, you can get The BasX A11 and the Marantz AV7706 pre/pro for $4,500 MSRP, which is $2,000 less than the Denon AVR-A1H receiver. Now, I realize that with the Denon you have the potential for 15 channels of processing (not power), but how many people are going to set up a 15 channel system, plus subs?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
but how many people are going to set up a 15 channel system, plus subs?
Not me, 7.1(maybe 2).4 is going to be my max for life in this house I think. I don’t anticipate upgrading until 100” OLEDs are in my price range so still a few years out but when that happens I will really give a combo like this a hard look. Cthulhu willing and the creek don’t rise.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not me, 7.1(maybe 2).4 is going to be my max for life in this house I think. I don’t anticipate upgrading until 100” OLEDs are in my price range so still a few years out but when that happens I will really give a combo like this a hard look. Cthulhu willing and the creek don’t rise.
Well, this is a prickly topic I've dug into quite deeply, but unless/until there is a quantum change in Home Atmos, there is little reason to set up a system greater than 7.x.4.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It’s weird there is so little info on this online. If anyone finds a video intro or review please post it
I noticed that, and it is curious. Fortunately, Emotiva is well established, as is their BasX amp line. I have two 2 channel ones that drive my Atmos speakers, and the specs of those are the same is this one. So, I expect it is the exact same design, just scaled to 11 channels.

I expect there will be reviews, but Emotiva has never sought them and as far as I know, they don't send out samples to be tested. They have always been a little controversial in the audio world, and there is no doubt their processors have been less than a success. Of course, even Anthem has had problems in that area with their latest offerings. I don't suggest Emotiva processors, but their amps are solid, despite the frequent harping from online audiophiles. The fact is, the XPA-DR2 amp I'm using to drive my rather difficult Thiel CS 3.6s is the best sounding I've tried in the 30 years I've had them. That includes some pretty outrageous ones like a Threshold pure Class A 200 watt amp back in the mid '90s. Others have beaten it in isolated aspects, but none have matched it overall, especially when price is considered.

Hopefully there will be some feedback as the amp arrives.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FWIW, through the years I've bought something like 16 Emotiva components. They've always been a quirky company, and used to be a lot more "experimental" than they are now. Also, 10-15 years ago their quality control left a lot to be desired. I haven't seen any indication of that in the last five years or so. The BasX and XPA-DR amps I use now have proven to be solid and reliable. I still use an XPA Gen 2 amp (about 7 years old) in my system that was the last which had some QC issues and small glitches, which seem to have gone away now. One was a tendency to inexplicably go into protection, but since that's stopped happening, it's highly likely the cause was external. Possibly it's just a little too sensitive to electrical failures.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just one observation on the BasX A11. It says it's Class H, but the internal photo clearly shows a large toroidal transformer, which usually wouldn't be there with Class H. I'd like to know what that is. Maybe that powers the input stage, but that's my only guess. That transformer doesn't seem large enough to power the entire output.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks