What's new

Pre-Order Giant (1956) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Warner for a period did include new Blu-rays with the UHD edition, but have mostly ceased doing so after lower than expected sales. Physical media is on the decline and they have likely determined that including a remastered Blu-ray would raise production costs more than it would generate additional revenue.
I found this out when I decided to pick up the 4K of Lord of the Rings recently, wanting to get a copy of the theatrical edition for the first time since DVD. Was disappointed to find out there weren't blu included. Hoping that it will at least have both cuts digitally since I couldn't seem to find it anywhere.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Why do the 3 leads when they become 'old' or should I say middle-aged look like they were made up by somebody from the local high school drama department?
what can i tell you? make up at that time was a little unsophisticated and you have to suspend your disbelief. Same way you have to accept that when people in movies before the 1960s were shot w a gun at point blank range you never saw the bullet enter the body.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm going to assume here, that for the sake of getting the most out of the 4k disc.They opted to not put any features on it.
I'm sure you're right, and I wouldn't want them crammed on the same disc as a nearly 3.5 hour movie. But it's a shame that they've been dropped and the release feels incomplete for what's supposed to be an ultimate format and, I would assume, a definitive release of this iconic film. Either way, I'm grateful to have this film on 4K and will hang onto my Blu-ray and DVDs for the supplements.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
"They shot Giant here?"
1652134218513.png

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sadly, it seems that none of the digital retailers have any of the special features available with the current HD release. I checked Movies Anywhere, Vudu, and Apple TV, and none of them include any special features on the current digital HD release.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
FYI:

WB PR email today indicated that they would not have copies to send out for review.

Doesn't mean no one will get them - maybe they'll still send out some.

But it's unusual. WB has sent me every 4K I requested outside of "2001", and that was a screw-up related to the disc's delayed release.

This is the first time they've said "forget about it, loser!" in email form!

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I still find it odd that the 4k trailer they have is still marked on YouTube as private so it can't be seen by the general public without the link too it. Odd marketing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"The new 4K restoration was completed sourcing both the original camera negatives and protection RGB separation master positives for the best possible image, and color corrected in high dynamic range for the latest picture display technology, according to the studio. The audio was sourced primarily from a 1995 protection copy of the Original Magnetic Mono soundtrack. The picture and audio restoration was completed by Warner Bros. Post Production Creative Services: Motion Picture Imaging and Post Production Sound.

Special features on 4K disc include commentary by George Stevens Jr., screenwriter Ivan Moffat and critic Stephen Farber."

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
All previous restorations of Giant incorporated dissolves created by optical printing. In this new restoration, the original camera negatives were scanned and the dissolves were recreated in the digital domain.
Don’t know where that info came from.

I believe the base element is the same - newer gen scanner and digital tool, with the ability to extract a bit more (possibly 10-15%) from the dupes.

Entire film re-graded, and should look stunning.

But those dupes…

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Don’t know where that info came from.

I believe the base element is the same - newer gen scanner and digital tool, with the ability to extract a bit more (possibly 10-15%) from the dupes.

Entire film re-graded, and should look stunning.

But those dupes…
Yeah. As the opticals were cut into the original camera negative and the original elements discarded, I don't think it's very likely that those discarded original elements have been found. I know Francis Ford Coppola saves all the original elements on the films he owns, which is why he was able to re-composite (digitally) shots from The Outsiders which were originally optical dupes.

vivaladiva

Auditioning
Real Name
Terrence McGinnis
Time will tell. The grapevine has it. They are already working on 6K etc. They can't stop a 4K. They need something new to suck John & Mary Q public in.
To buy the new stuff all over again. And over again.
I still have my Laserdisc and players. It's still fun to watch them. And my friend brings over his new girlfriend.
And I say. Let's watch a VHS tape. And she goes. What's a VHS tape? I get a kick!
John and Mary Q do not care about 6k or any new gadgets. It's the people on this forum that hang on to the word of every industry stooge "restorer" in order to immediately buy what they are selling. John and Mary Q are more than happy to watch this film on an old print in tcm.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John and Mary Q do not care about 6k or any new gadgets. It's the people on this forum that hang on to the word of every industry stooge "restorer" in order to immediately buy what they are selling. John and Mary Q are more than happy to watch this film on an old print in tcm.
Be careful with such comments. We will not tolerate such name-calling on this forum. There won't be any further warnings!

Conduct
10. No personal attacks. We expect all members to treat each other with consideration and respect. While we encourage lively debate, we do not allow personal attacks. This includes direct attacks, such as name-calling, as well as indirect attacks, such as repeated baiting of a member in a provocative or belittling manner.
If you believe that you have been subjected to a personal attack, or have witnessed one on another member, please see the section on Dealing with Problems for instructions on how to proceed.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
You are so right! I'm one that will not get this new 4 K movie. I have it on LaserDisc. And DVD. Until it gets way,way,way, down in price. Like under $20.00 Then maybe. Yes, I have a great 4K. set up. But that is as far as I'm going,

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As this site’s “industry stooge restorer,” I take that as a compliment.

My favorite, by a London reviewer, referred to my reconstruction of Aurens as by “some dotty American archivist,” because I had made the film longer. I don’t recall him mentioning the visual quality of 70mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks