What's new

Has John Sayles Been Forgotten On Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I now own the anamorphic Canadian DVD, and it looks splendid. Until a Blu-ray is available, I would heartily recommend this.
I agree with you. I'm very happy with the DVD and I want to thank you for making me aware of it.

Reactions: PMF

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Been meaning to comment on this thread - there are so many films from this brilliant screenwriter and director that are essential viewing. Why the Criterion Collection doesn't even have one of his films, is beyond me. There have been many masterpieces mentioned, but for me, one of my favourites is The Secret Of Roan Inish.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I am a huge fan of John Sayles' films, and have seen most of them. Unfortunately, his movies are severely under-represented on Blu, and some haven't even made their way to DVD yet. Too bad, since many of the DVD's are now OOP

My all-time favorite Sayles films is Limbo (1999), and also one of my top ten favorite '90's movies. Truly stunning & majestic. Everything is amazing here: The grandeur & danger of the Alaskan wilderness, the storyline, the acting, & the ambiguous ending are all perfect.

MEM's singing voice is superb: I liked how we first hear her character Donna singing at the wedding in the beginning, then the 1-2 songs in the bar, and then finally the excellent song Dimming of the Day, which plays over the scenes of Joe Gastineaxu (David S.) sailing on the boat. It was unusual that the actress was actually singing in the film, since scenes like this are typically lip-synced.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I know this is an old thread but it’s so disappointing that so many of these great films remain unavailable. I mean, City of Hope’s last home video release was in 1992?!?

Tell me about it! Huge John Sayles fan here. And, I've been wanting to see City of Hope (1991) ever since I got my first DVD player in the early 200X's. It's extremely disappointing that this apparently great movie has never made it's way to modern home video. I haven't even seen this available to stream anywhere - ever!

I wonder what the hold-up is here?! Is the film too obscure to warrant a modern home video release?! And/or are there copyright/rights issues involved here that is preventing the film from being released?!

In any case, hopefully this will eventually make it's way to DVD/Blu. IMHO the Criterion label would be perfect for this film.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
And, I've been wanting to see City of Hope (1991) ever since I got my first DVD player in the early 200X's. It's extremely disappointing that this apparently great movie has never made it's way to modern home video. I haven't even seen this available to stream anywhere - ever!

City Of Hope is available to stream on Amazon Prime, as is Eight Men Out. Lone Star is available digitally, but not as part of Prime.

BTW, Baby It's You is available on blu-ray, so is Eight Men Out.

That's all I can find.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Dick, great topic for a thread and glad to see it's been revived.
A couple of years back I was going through the John Sayles filmography;
as I was interested in gathering up his films in order to do a marathon and study.
I was taken aback as to how few were available, so I decided to bail on it.

But seriously, not even Matawan on Blu?
Just the presence of Haskel Wexler as DP cries out for a Criterion.

The arguments for the top tier films of John Sayles are substantial.
It is truly odd, what with all of the films we do have available on Blu, that a few of Sayles representative films just aren't there.

Last edited:

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Yes as well as Herbert Ross[GOODBYE MR CHIPS---PENNIES FROM HEAVEN---PLAY IT AGAIN SAM]

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]But seriously, not even Matawan on Blu?
Just the presence of Haskel Wexler as DP cries out for a Criterion.[...]
I am self-quoting my own post from July 11th.
And why not?
I mean, after all, I've now got myself some iron-clad bragging rights.
Oh, sure, it's one thing to simply just say that "Matawan" should be released on Blu;
but I specifically envisioned this title as being a Criterion;
which is near synonymous to saying the name of Haskel Wexler, himself;
so therefore now, someone, please give me my due.:D

Congratulations to Dick; as he got the ball rolling and originated this thread.:drum:

Last edited:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
IMHO All of John Sayles' films are fantastic & deserve a release on the Criterion label, or at the least re-released on DVD & Blu; I would even settle for DVD-only re-releases. I believe the majority of his films have never been re-released on Disk - after the initial DVD. So, these older DVD's are typically harder to find due to being OOP. Going along with this, 99% of his films have never had Blu releases.

Some of his movies that definitely deserve a Criterion release, or at least a re-release:

Limbo - superb; possibly Sayles' best film.

Men with Guns - the DVD is especially difficult to track down

Silver City

Casa De Los Babys

Honeydripper

The Secret of Roan Inish -
only seen this in a pan & scan DVD; it definitely deserves an Anamorphic Widescreen (AW) release

Brother from Another Planet - excellent; I've also only seen this on a crummy pan & scan DVD. Not sure if it's ever been available in a AW release.

Baby, It's You

Lone Star -
excellent "modern" western. The DVD is also tough to find; I haven't seen this film in years.

Sunshine State

Amigo

City of Hope

Passion Fish

Lianna

Return of the Secaucus Seven

To add to a previous post of mine - note that AFAIK City of Hope was only available during the VHS/Laser Disk era(s), and has never been available on DVD/Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks