What's new

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
LG and WarnerMedia have announced that the HBO Max app is now available on LG Smart and OLED TVs in the U.S. This will allow subscribers to access the platform’s full portfolio of content and follows the news in June of the app’s availability in Latin America and the Caribbean. Entry is via the webOS platform either with a remote device, or soon by a voice command of “HBO Max” into an LG Magic remote.
HBO Max supports up to 13,000 hours of premium content from the likes of Warner Bros., Turner Classic Movies and Cartoon Network, among others. The launch of the app on LG Smart TVs coincides with the release of the Warner Bros. feature film The Suicide Squad debuting in theaters and on HBO Max from tomorrow. The title will be available free on the platform for 31 days in 4K Ultra HD, HDR 10 and Dolby Vision.
Over the summer, subscribers will also be able to see Tig Notaro: Drawn...

Continue reading...

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Finally!!!! WooHoo!!!

I've been able to access it through my cable box but I'm SURE the LG app will provide better quality. Thanks, this is great news and I didn't realize it had happened!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I stumbled upon this the other day and began watching The Suicide Squad in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I have a reasonably fast broadband connection (400mb down/40mb up) but the film kept stuttering/buffering etc. to the point that I gave up trying to watch it. I switched over to my Xbox Series X and it was rock solid, albeit sans Dolby Vision. Apparently, that is not an option on the Xbox app yet. Ditto for my PlayStation 5. They both stream HBO Max in 4K, but no HDR or Dolby Vision. I don't know if the LG app takes its feed from a different server or if it is an HBO Max problem, but this thing is not ready for prime time. I routinely stream Disney+ and Apple TV+ using the native LG apps and they play back in beautiful quality, uninterrupted, Dolby Vision / Dolby Atmos. BTW, I am hard wired from my modem/router to the TV, so it is not a wifi problem. Perhaps HBO Max is capping speeds on its feed? Whatever the case may be, I hope they work with LG to get this fixed as quickly as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks