What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help choosing a new Receiver/Amp (1 Viewer)

zmurphy

Grip
Real Name
Zach
Hello guys, I am fairly new to this forum. Right now i am finishing my home theater. I will have a Proficient 6.1 monitors for L/R fronts, 12" Dayton sub, 6" Dayton inwalls for L/R rears and an unknown center(something with 5or 6" inch mids.

Video wise i will 3 componet connections: dvd, digital cable and ps2/ps3. which will connected to a 32" tv and an Infocus projector.

I need some real world opinions on a new amp. My budget is around $300. I am currently looking at Yamaha 5840 or 5940, Onkyo 504 and Denon 1707 or 587.

All of these have enough optical and componet inputs. I do not plan only needing Hdmi/Dvi connections for a few years. When i do need them i will buy a new Receiver/Amp and move this one to my living room to replace my 6 year old Yamaha.

I am currently leaning toward the Yamaha's because i do have a Yamaha now in my living room that i have been extremely pleased with.

I did do some searches and thats what has help me narrow my choices down to these.

thanks, sorry its so long

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I may be drawn and quartered for saying this, but I would not buy a receiver or pre-amp/processor yet. If you have some patience there should be a whole slew of products coming next year with all the new surround products for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs such as Dolby TrueHD lossless, DTS-HD, DTS Master Audio lossless, and Dolby Digital Plus lossy (all with ultra-high resolution 8 channel discrete capabilities) along with the necessary HDMI version 1.3 digital inputs.

Some will say: "well, you can get a receiver with an earlier version of HDMI and have a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player do the decoding internally and send it through as PCM." My reply to them would be: "name one player that's been released or announced that handles internally all of the new audio formats and all of their features." I bet they can't.

I'm waiting to upgrade until next year, and when it comes to good audio I'm a very impatient person.

Dan

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I am also waiting for HDMI 1.3. The only reason I made the suggestion was because of the price range $300 isn't going to get the best in sound with or without HDMI 1.3 and advanced surround sound. I really don't think you would notice a difference of sound between a $300 receiver with advanced surround sound and a $300 that doesn't, just an opinion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks