What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Hey Folks! It's the Intermission Time Video Party! Set (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
919VKSQIuML._SL1500_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Looks intriguing, but kind of hard to understand from the Amazon description exactly what content is included. Is it a compilation of old theater ads?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Something Weird Video put four VHS tapes of back in the way old days of Drive-In Intermission time clocks, Drive-In Promotions and other nostalgic trailers. They also were a collection of indoor theatre promotions. I don’t recall them ever being released on DVD. For the nostalgia groupies of those easy times this Bul-ray should be enjoyed. Depending on the transfers. :)

For what’s worth I’m one of those groupies after years of overseeing and film booking Drive-ins. It’s on order. :dance:

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Just checked HEY FOLKS, IT'S INTERMISSION TIME on IMDb. It appears to be filler that appeared between double bills at drive-ins.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I suppose this is representative of the original six VHS compilations the Amazon description says are included on the Blu-ray.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Something Weird Video put four VHS tapes of back in the way old days of Drive-In Intermission time clocks, Drive-In Promotions and other nostalgic trailers. They also were a collection of indoor theatre promotions. I don’t recall them ever being released on DVD. For the nostalgia groupies of those easy times this Bul-ray should be enjoyed. Depending on the transfers. :)

For what’s worth I’m one of those groupies after years of overseeing and film booking Drive-ins. It’s on order. :dance:
I am one of those Drive-In (and some indoor) Theatre intermission countdowns, concession ads, local business ads, etc groupies, too! Love having them on physical media.

So much so that I did buy all volumes on VHS from Something Weird Video back in the 90s. Then I replaced those with the DVD-R versions in the early 2000s. And, yes, I have already put in my pre-order for this Blu-ray version. Haha.

Looks like they have created some sort of additional mix of the various volumes for one of the disc's. Which would be a good thing.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
I suppose this is representative of the original six VHS compilations the Amazon description says are included on the Blu-ray.

Yep, that was just one of several volumes on VHS. Then later on DVD.

It'll be interesting to see what they put on the mix disc.

Hard to believe there was a time when we were thrilled to get a simple hamburger (cheeseburgers were rare and exotic in a pre McDonald's world, double-deckers only for grizzly bear sized show offs and foodie daredevils), a tumbler size box of plain popcorn and a dixiecup of soda (no ice) small enough to satisfy a hummingbird. Lol.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
This seems like something that would work best as individual files on a Plex server, programmed to play before and between other content. Swapping discs and chapter skipping to find the perfect trailer for what you're watching seems like it would be awkward.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
This seems like something that would work best as individual files on a Plex server, programmed to play before and between other content. Swapping discs and chapter skipping to find the perfect trailer for what you're watching seems like it would be awkward.
I have a lot of these and similar snipes (from Archive.org and other sources) and they are fun to use like that with a show for a group. Only issue with Plex player (and Infuse) on AppleTV is a playback gap between them or a filename display that comes up. I usually end up putting them on a flash drive and using my Oppo's media player function to play them before a feature.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Yeah, some of these ads are cool to see, but I don't know if I want to sit down and watch a bunch of them in a row. Would be cool if they could be integrated with movies of the same period.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Back in the DVD-R version days, I had a Sony 5-disc DVD changer/carousel player and placed one of the discs in it along with a favorite cartoon compilation disc, a schlocky horror or sci-fi trailer disc and a couple of movie discs for whatever double-bill was on my schedule for the night. Then I just hopped from one disc to another using the remote's skip/play buttons.

I would line up for ready play the movie discs. But for the Intermission ads, trailers and cartoons discs I was fine with whatever was next up from the last time I played it. In fact, I didn't want to know what was up next.

I would just let that Intermission/Snack Bar ads disc run on screen from wherever it left off the previous movie night for however long we were busy taking a potty break, popping popcorn, whatever. 5-10 minutes or so. That way I never really focused on exactly what was being shown on it, nothing too important really, just created a fun background mood enhancer. And it would always be a different 5-10 minute sequence each time. Just for added fun in the background really, nothing to focus on all that much. Similar to the amount of attention we gave them from the backseat of a 1955 Ford before and after the snack bar run.

I never got around to figuring out how to set it up on a Plex server or a flash drive. That 5-disc DVD changer/carousel player was easier for me to figure out. Problem is there was never a simple 5-disc Blu-ray changer/carousel player to accommodate my evolution to that format and the format of this latest version. As far as I know there was only a behemoth Sony 300-disc Blu-ray changer/player available years ago and that one apparently took 30 seconds or so to skip from one disc to the next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks