What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Hitchcock in 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Reviews factor in, but currently Volume 2 has my support.

Meanwhile, what’s up with a 4K/UHD of North by Northwest? This title was amongst the large, medium and bite-sized Hitchcock Essentials collections when first out on BD. Is NxNW slated as a stand-alone or now under newer licensing?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Reviews factor in, but currently Volume 2 has my support.

Meanwhile, what’s up with a 4K/UHD of North by Northwest? This title was amongst the large, medium and bite-sized Hitchcock Essentials collections when first out on BD. Is NxNW slated as a stand-alone or now under newer licensing?
North by Northwest is a Warner title!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
North by Northwest is a Warner title!
Ah-ha !!! This explains why Volume One of the 4K/UHD set only had 4 out of the 5 from the Alfred Hitchcock: The Essential Collection on BD.

Huh, I wonder how North by Northwest managed to get in there from the fore?

Lucky for us, I guess.

Calling Warner’s.
Calling 4K/UHD.
Calling North by Northwest.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
There was rumor that north by northwest was mastered in 4k and that a release could happen soon.

I haven’t heard anything further though.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
There was rumor that north by northwest was mastered in 4k and that a release could happen soon.

I haven’t heard anything further though.
I saw a revelatory DCP of North by Northwest in 2018 and if any future 4K/UHD comes anywhere close to matching that perfect presentation then, rest assured, we will be a band of ultra happy campers.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I saw a revelatory DCP of North by Northwest in 2018 and if any future 4K/UHD comes anywhere close to matching that perfect presentation then, rest assured, we will be a band of ultra happy campers.

I hope it’s this year. 1959 was the release year so I don’t believe we are close to a anniversary tie in year. 5 or 10. 2024 is too far away.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I hope it’s this year. 1959 was the release year so I don’t believe we are close to a anniversary tie in year. 5 or 10. 2024 is too far away.
And besides, those anniversary tie-ins have become a drag, a bore and a tiresome trap. If the film is ready, then get the damned product out there and get on with it.

NOTE: I’m also done with any classical radio station that tells its audience that today would’ve been the 297th birthday of the such and such composer who’s symphony we are about to hear. Ple-e-e-e-zzz, Mr. DJ, just play the record.-_-

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
And besides, those anniversary tie-ins have become a drag, a bore and a tiresome trap. If the film is ready, then get the damned product out there and get on with it.

NOTE: I’m also done with any classical radio station that tells its audience that today would’ve been the 297th birthday of the such and such composer who’s symphony we are about to hear. Ple-e-e-e-zzz, Mr. DJ, just play the record.-_-

100% agreed

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I hope to see a 4K/UHD of North By Northwest! I thought the crane shot out in the cornfield when Roger gets out of the bus was an amazing looking shot on the Blu ray. i’ll be curious if that shot looks even better in 4K!

I’m going to do an A-B comparison of the earlier blu rays to the new 4K’s of Rear Window and The Birds and Vertigo.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yesterday I started watching Vertigo for the first time with the new 4k disc, and it does look wonderful. Sometimes it has an almost eerie way of putting you up close to the players, seeing details of their clothing, eye color, and so on. It deepens the experience the movie, and I'm noticing little things I didn't see before.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Huh, I wonder how North by Northwest managed to get in there from the fore?

There was a time when some studios managed to license titles from another for inclusion in sets. For example, Warner licensed Mad Max from MGM to include in a set with the Warner-owned titles, and licensed some of the Kubrick films from MGM to include in a Kubrick set (along with the Sony-owned Doctor Strangelove), and Universal licensed North by Northwest from Warner to include in the large Hitchcock sets).

I imagine that at some point Warner will get around to releasing NxNW on UHD their own selves.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
The period between Notorious and Strangers on A Train is certainly a valley.
The Paradine Case
Rope
Under Capricorn
Stage Fright

Though I like Stage Fright and will get the Warner Archive release.

Not a big fan of I Confess or Dial M for Murder, which came after Strangers On A Train.
I love Rope. Great film. I also like Dial M for Murder.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Its all subjective. Everyone has an opinion . The ranking of Hitchcock films will vary. There are certain films that are more popular than others. The less popular films are grouped as a valley. It doesn't mean they don't have their fans or that they are not enjoyable.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its all subjective. Everyone has an opinion . The ranking of Hitchcock films will vary. There are certain films that are more popular than others. The less popular films are grouped as a valley. It doesn't mean they don't have their fans or that they are not enjoyable.

If there are fans for Jamaica Inn and The Paradine Case, I'd love to meet them.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
How do you do! :)
1644863190034.png

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My ranking of the Hitchcock films has been simplified by just taking it by way of going chronologically.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks