What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD International Hitchcock's Psycho, The Birds, Rear Window, Vertigo on 4K UHD - September 2020 (France)! (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Ken, can you tell us about the UK audio? Same problems as USA discs?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ken, can you tell us about the UK audio? Same problems as USA discs?

I'm not Ken but on the UK release the UK audio on both Vertigo and Psycho are downmixes. However, the original theatrical mono for both films can be heard on the Russian, Czech and Polish audio tracks!

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
VERTIGO which is on the top of my list as best film, looks fantastic .
The revelation for me is The Birds. I've never seen it look so good. There is one scene though with Tippi and Rod at the children's party that clearly was shot on a set ...the sand must have been flown in.
Otherwise I found the film more gripping that ever.
I’ll bet that’s scene at the top of a dune. It looks like a set on the blu ray too.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'm not Ken but on the UK release the UK audio on both Vertigo and Psycho are downmixes. However, the original theatrical mono for both films can be heard on the Russian, Czech and Polish audio tracks!

I'm pretty sure the mono on the US 4K of Vertigo is the authentic original. What leads you to believe the UK one is a downmix?

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I will say a little about PQ for The Birds & Rear Window have watched both now from the UK 4K UHD Disc set.

The Birds - Looks very good indeed. Massive upgrade on any previous home video release. This alone is worth the entire cost of the box set to me :D

All the outdoor natural lighting scenes look very good considering its a 57 year old movie. The studio shot scenes, closeups & optical composites all look better than they ever did but here they still look soft, lacking detail at times & like they are shot on different film stock or lenses (most likely they were!). However, it still looks way better than it ever did & Universal spent a lot of time clearing up all the dirt, print damage & tears as the image is flawless in that respect & colour balance looks excellent. Realistically there is now way it could look much better so I think this is the best we will ever get now from a home video release.

Universal did a excellent job on The Birds :thumbs-up-smiley:

Rear Window - Again looks better than it ever did on home video. The early few mins are a bit troublesome as the image judders a little on the brick patterns but this could just be the nature of converting the old film to a 21st century digital format then pressing onto a 4K UHD disc. Or it could be you need better equipment than I have to eliminate that!

Variable DNR seems to have been used a bit here. The giveaway is some scenes look as you would expect then the next has the variable DNR so detail is scrubbed & it has a slight waxy look about it then it changes again on the next scene! The whole image varies a bit from scene to scene sometimes it looks like its an upscaled BD other times closer to film.

Overall its still the best it ever looked on a home video format I suspect it probably did not have as much resource put into it as The Birds & was left to auto pilot rather than have extensive frame by frame analysis. The image is very clean, no dirt, hairs or damage those were all removed & repaired. Colour balance looks fine to me. Its a classic 66 year old movie so I guess you have to make allowances for that & how good a condition the source elements were.

Universal did a good job on Rear Window :)

I understand from friends Vertigo is stunning so I shall get around to watching that next!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Target has sold out. Amazon has discounted down to $59.99 and is listed as in-stock. With that said, I'm still telling myself "patience young padawan or something to that effect". :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I will say a little about PQ for The Birds & Rear Window have watched both now from the UK 4K UHD Disc set.

The Birds - Looks very good indeed. Massive upgrade on any previous home video release. This alone is worth the entire cost of the box set to me :D

All the outdoor natural lighting scenes look very good considering its a 57 year old movie. The studio shot scenes, closeups & optical composites all look better than they ever did but here they still look soft, lacking detail at times & like they are shot on different film stock or lenses (most likely they were!). However, it still looks way better than it ever did & Universal spent a lot of time clearing up all the dirt, print damage & tears as the image is flawless in that respect & colour balance looks excellent. Realistically there is now way it could look much better so I think this is the best we will ever get now from a home video release.

Universal did a excellent job on The Birds :thumbs-up-smiley:

Rear Window - Again looks better than it ever did on home video. The early few mins are a bit troublesome as the image judders a little on the brick patterns but this could just be the nature of converting the old film to a 21st century digital format then pressing onto a 4K UHD disc. Or it could be you need better equipment than I have to eliminate that!

Variable DNR seems to have been used a bit here. The giveaway is some scenes look as you would expect then the next has the variable DNR so detail is scrubbed & it has a slight waxy look about it then it changes again on the next scene! The whole image varies a bit from scene to scene sometimes it looks like its an upscaled BD other times closer to film.

Overall its still the best it ever looked on a home video format I suspect it probably did not have as much resource put into it as The Birds & was left to auto pilot rather than have extensive frame by frame analysis. The image is very clean, no dirt, hairs or damage those were all removed & repaired. Colour balance looks fine to me. Its a classic 66 year old movie so I guess you have to make allowances for that & how good a condition the source elements were.

Universal did a good job on Rear Window :)

I understand from friends Vertigo is stunning so I shall get around to watching that next!
May I assume a review of the UK set is like reviewing the US set?

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Target has sold out. Amazon has discounted down to $59.99 and is listed as in-stock. With that said, I'm still telling myself "patience young padawan or something to that effect". :D

Wise thinking. There's a lot of misinformation out there. Apparently the Vertigo disc audio is correct. There were a lot of people saying it was missing the mono track, however, that is claim is apparently erroneous.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
All of the films except for The Birds are now in 4K on Apple iTunes. I’m really hoping that It, too, will be upgraded soon. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the new transfer.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Watched Vertigo now.

Well it looks better than it ever did on a home video format.....but the source material really looks average 4K UHD wise most of the time sadly.

Outdoor scenes in natural daylight look excellent for a 62 year old movie. Although I would expect that as its Vista Vision (1st 4K UHD for the format as well I believe!). If only they would give us The Trouble With Harry, NBNW or Gunfight At The Ok Corral on 4K UHD someday!

But most of Vertigo uses those soft camera filter lenses & heavy makeup to make the actors look flawless & by doing so all detail is scrubbed away so you are left with a very soft looking picture most of the time & detail is missing in the faces they look a little too waxy & smeared. Also again sadly one of the final key scenes of the movie around the 2:03 mark approx goes so blurry it honesty looks like VHS upscaled to 4K! Not sure its the source material or a mastering issue but its very noticeable even though its a very dark scene in the bell tower before they reach the roof (for the last time). I checked the BD I have from the 2013 Vol2 (7 Hitchcock movies compilation) its not present on there at all.

I think Universal did all they could with this & the source material available (its based on the restoration as there is an end credit card thanking Robert Harris & James Katz). For once this is probably an example of perhaps a new BD would have been almost good enough as 4K UHD highlights the technical limitations of bringing a 62 year old movie into a new century.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
My copy arrived today. Ugh. It wouldn't be a Universal Hitchcock release without some problems, right? First off, the PSYCHO mono track definitely is NOT the original mono (as others have suspected/reported). There are two dead giveaways: In the first scene, right after Marion says "Oh, we can see each other; we can even have dinner," there should be an audible double horn-honk from the street below. Later, right when Marion turns on the shower, there should NOT be a squeak when she turns the faucet. In all the English tracks, the horns don't honk and the shower faucet squeaks (meanwhile, the French track is correct, sacré bleu!). The English mono track from the previous Blu-ray was correct.

VERTIGO looks pretty amazing most of the time. No complaints.

I haven't checked Rear Window or The Birds yet.

DAMN, this packaging is horrendous. The disc envelopes are incredibly tight, and it's seriously difficult to get them out (I was actually afraid I was going to do some damage just pulling them out). I'm gonna put the discs in individual poly CD sleeves (which is what I did with the earlier Masterpiece set). Almost as annoying is the fact that the graphic design is more or less identical to the earlier Masterpiece set. If I'm gonna buy these films yet again, I'd appreciate something new (or at least different) to look at.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Watched Vertigo now.

Well it looks better than it ever did on a home video format.....but the source material really looks average 4K UHD wise most of the time sadly.

Outdoor scenes in natural daylight look excellent for a 62 year old movie. Although I would expect that as its Vista Vision (1st 4K UHD for the format as well I believe!). If only they would give us The Trouble With Harry, NBNW or Gunfight At The Ok Corral on 4K UHD someday!

But most of Vertigo uses those soft camera filter lenses & heavy makeup to make the actors look flawless & by doing so all detail is scrubbed away so you are left with a very soft looking picture most of the time & detail is missing in the faces they look a little too waxy & smeared. Also again sadly one of the final key scenes of the movie around the 2:03 mark approx goes so blurry it honesty looks like VHS upscaled to 4K! Not sure its the source material or a mastering issue but its very noticeable even though its a very dark scene in the bell tower before they reach the roof (for the last time). I checked the BD I have from the 2013 Vol2 (7 Hitchcock movies compilation) its not present on there at all.

I think Universal did all they could with this & the source material available (its based on the restoration as there is an end credit card thanking Robert Harris & James Katz). For once this is probably an example of perhaps a new BD would have been almost good enough as 4K UHD highlights the technical limitations of bringing a 62 year old movie into a new century.
“Vertigo” looks great on my system. Sharp. Excellent detail and color.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Just finished watching the "new" Psycho Blu-ray. I then looked at the UK previous Blu-ray and yes, it's NOT the original mono track - it's more than just the sfx - it's the quality of the music, which sounds great in the original mono and muffled as hell in the folded down mono. And yes, confusing wording if you're watching the uncut. I'm guessing it has to be a new scan because of the uncut footage, but It doesn't really look much better - just a bit darker - I think I prefer the older UK Blu-ray, but I'll have to watch this again and of course I'm not seeing the 4K, which may be a significant improvement.

The original Psycho mix is brilliant - it didn't need ANY help from anyone and frankly there shouldn't even be a "stereo" track.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks