What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Hogan's Heroes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The reviewer, who's supposedly a researcher, has at least one of his facts wrong - that the pilot was B/W because CBS was the last network to go color.

Both ABC and CBS were pretty much forced into going full color the season *after* Hogan's Heroes began because NBC (who was owned by RCA, the major color TV manufacturer at the time, so there was a vested interest) used color broadcasts as a ratings ploy (plus to sell color sets for RCA) and had gone almost full color in the fall of 1965 (only 2 series on NBC that season were B/W - Convoy and I Dream of Jeannie). Both ABC and CBS presented a bit over half their combined 1965/66 product in color, only shifting to all color broadcasting the following year. Hogan's Heroes was one of those CBS series presented in color in the 1965/66 season.

It's more likely that the Hogan's Heroes pilot was shot in B/W because it was much less expensive and that the decision had not been made at that point that it would be one of the series to be presented in color during that 1965/66 season (and it wasn't the only series that season with a 1st episode in B/W followed by all color - even NBC had a couple with Get Smart being one). Color was expensive and, in those years, you typically only produced shows you thought would be hits in color, especially pilots. That pilot had also been shown to NBC first, who supposedly rejected it thinking it was so funny that subsequent episodes just wouldn't be as good. It was then sold to CBS.

ABC was technically the "last" network to air a program in color, starting in 1962 with 3 cartoons, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and Beany and Cecil, though CBS was the last to present *regular* programming in color beginning that in the fall of 1965. Prior to that year, CBS aired occasional specials and sometimes its bigger weekly variety shows in color.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The reviewer, who's supposedly a researcher, has at least one of his facts wrong - that the pilot was B/W because CBS was the last network to go color.

Both ABC and CBS were pretty much forced into going full color the season *after* Hogan's Heroes began because NBC (who was owned by RCA, the major color TV manufacturer at the time, so there was a vested interest) used color broadcasts as a ratings ploy (plus to sell color sets for RCA) and had gone almost full color in the fall of 1965 (only 2 series on NBC that season were B/W - Convoy and I Dream of Jeannie). Both ABC and CBS presented a bit over half their combined 1965/66 product in color, only shifting to all color broadcasting the following year. Hogan's Heroes was one of those CBS series presented in color in the 1965/66 season.

It's more likely that the Hogan's Heroes pilot was shot in B/W because it was much less expensive and that the decision had not been made at that point that it would be one of the series to be presented in color during that 1965/66 season (and it wasn't the only series that season with a 1st episode in B/W followed by all color - even NBC had a couple with Get Smart being one). Color was expensive and, in those years, you typically only produced shows you thought would be hits in color, especially pilots. That pilot had also been shown to NBC first, who supposedly rejected it thinking it was so funny that subsequent episodes just wouldn't be as good. It was then sold to CBS.

ABC was technically the "last" network to air a program in color, starting in 1962 with 3 cartoons, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and Beany and Cecil, though CBS was the last to present *regular* programming in color beginning that in the fall of 1965. Prior to that year, CBS aired occasional specials and sometimes its bigger weekly variety shows in color.
Great reading - Hogans Heroes is one of those shows that never grow old the writers were great they kept the show going longer than the war actually lasted-love your history!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Got my set a couple of weeks ago. The quality is top notch. I forgot how much I enjoyed this show. The entire cast is great, but Banner was the best. My Dad used to pull into the driveway after work just as the theme song was playing and if he was a little late, he always asked me what he missed. Great memories...

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Got my set a couple of weeks ago. The quality is top notch. I forgot how much I enjoyed this show. The entire cast is great, but Banner was the best. My Dad used to pull into the driveway after work just as the theme song was playing and if he was a little late, he always asked me what he missed. Great memories...
Amazing how some shows never left the air - this along with others actually built many indie stations from scratch - Ted Turner said Andy Griffith and Perry Mason established Turner Broadcasting
Does the title sequence seem time compressed? On METV they seem to be is this included in the set?

Last edited:

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Do the Blus or DVDs retain the sponsor logos in the end credits that were seen on some of the Columbia House VHS tapes?

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I watched the pilot tonight. The disc begins with the Paramount logo before the menu, and the logo identifies Paramount as “a Viacom company.” That’s strange. Viacom, which owned Paramount, was merged back into CBS in December 2019. The merged company was initially named ViacomCBS, and for a time, the Paramount logo on discs identified Paramount as “a ViacomCBS company.” (The company took Paramount Global as its name in February 2022 and now the disc logo refers only to “Paramount.”) Either someone responsible for this Hogan’s Heroes set, released in late 2022, mistakenly used a three-year old logo (which seems very unlikely), or the set was prepared at least three years before it was released.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Either someone responsible for this Hogan’s Heroes set, released in late 2022, mistakenly used a three-year old logo (which seems very unlikely), or the set was prepared at least three years before it was released.
I would say the second. CBS/Paramount was in a mode of transferring many of their properties from film elements into HD prior to their DVD release. This approach not only created great DVDs but also future proofed each series for future HD syndication/streaming. The Hogan's Heroes DVD sets came out no later than 2007. Thus, HD prints would have been available by that time. It sounds like the fault is that no one went back and changed the logos after the HD prints were originally made.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
(The company took Paramount Global as its name in February 2022 and now the disc logo refers only to “Paramount.”)

Semi-OT: this is the case on my copy of the DVD of that 2022 Paramount+/Paramount Players film The In Between that had Joey King and Kyle Allen; it has that version of the Paramount logo, before going to the menu.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
HHgame.jpg

HHboard.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks