What's new
World Wide Stereo

Home Theater Calibration (1 Viewer)

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
My apologies if this should have been posted elsewhere.

Preface: My Rotel Pre-Amp is older and does not have the calibration microphone and built-in software than many of the new AVR's do. So, I have almost zero knowledge on this subject.

I have a SPL meter, which comes in very handy and for the past 15-20 years that has been the extent of my calibration tools. My system really sounds good to me, but I know there are benefits to these UM1k-1 Mics and the REW software.

I guess my question is, the Mini DSP Mic sells for about $91 and appears to have a USB output, which I assume I could run into my computer and as I understand it I could go to their website and adjust my system or at least get readings to help me adjust my system. Why then would I pay another $200 for the Mini DSP which looks like it amounts to be a DAC when I already have a DAC? Why would I run the mic into the DAC instead of the computer?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The MiniDSP UMIC-1 plugs directly into your computer. It is calibrated at the factory and comes with a profile you can load into your software. Without the calibration you have no idea if what the mic thinks it hears is accurate.

There are a few software packages you can use. There's a free one that many use (including me) called Room EQ Wizard or REW that seems to do a decent job (I used it for help placing my subs and for verification after I made changes and/or ran Audyssey).

There's tons of info at the website - https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
Thanks for the info. I am still weighing whether I want to venture down this hole. It seems like those who have say its the best thing since the wheel was invented and then there are those like me who live under a rock in ignorant bliss.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think it is somewhere in between. The ability to measure your system is great but what are you going to do with that information? Next you're spending even more to get the sound just a little better (or worse depending on your perspective).

I used mine strictly for speaker placement and confirmation that I didn't have huge holes in my sound

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks