What's new
World Wide Stereo

How should I be connecting my system? (1 Viewer)

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I have owned HT components for a number of years now, but the newer setups (particularly ARC) have me confused about how exactly I should be wiring my stuff together.

I have a newer (about 1.5 year old) 4k TV with an HDMI port labeled ARC. I also have a receiver (also with ARC port) and 4k player about the same age. Right now, everything (disc player, 4k cable box, Nintendo switch) is going through the receiver, with a single output to the TV. I also have the TV send back audio to the receiver via optical cable (for watching media through widgets on the TV).

I watch different media on different devices due to lip sync issues (a whole 'nother story). Is this the best setup? Should I be wiring everything through the TV instead and using the ARC channel to pump the audit back to the receiver? I read somewhere that TVs cannot (not sure why) pass 5.1 audio through the ARC port, but that some do anyway. Is the optical good enough? Can I still wire everything through the TV?

The main reason that I am asking this question is that I think I am wasting my money upgrading the receiver just so that I can pass 4k signals along. I have an otherwise perfectly good receiver that I no longer use because I wanted 4k everything. I'd like to avoid doing this in the future (I think the receiver could last 10+ years as long as I am not interested in the latest Dolby/DTS codecs) when I upgrade to an OLED/8k/HDMI 2.1 component set in the next few years. Maybe this isn't possible, as I see eARC on its way, which looks like it might address a lot of the setup questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks