What's new
World Wide Stereo

I rode the old display as long as I could; it's time to consider my replacement options... (1 Viewer)

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I completely passed on the plasma & LED/LCD waves (so I could finally finish my degree), and it looks like my rusty/trusty old Toshiba 50HX81 rptv is now showing signs that a failure may be close-at-hand.
I've done a bit of reading here and elsewhere, so now I'm posting to get some well-considered opinions.

Budget-wise, $2k is about as high as I'm willing to consider, and I'm not really loyal to any particular brand. I've decided I'd like to jump on the 4K bandwagon despite the minimal content, and a 55" panel is the preferred starting point. I'm leaning toward OLED, but the reports I've read regarding burn-in and reduced brightness over time makes me wonder if I should sacrifice black levels for panel longevity in an LED display. (As it is, I can see evidence of pillar-box burn-in on my RPTV from extended viewing of TCM programming.)

All I need is a reasonably good display for general-purpose viewing (and console/PC gaming)--not the best of the best like a Sony A9F, but something that's maybe a step or 2 down from that? SmartTV is a convergence of functions I really could do without. Dolby Vision & HDR would be nice to have, though.

Thoughts?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
No specific recommendations but I think you'll easily find what you're looking for with that budget.

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I appreciate the quick responses.

Ignoring the details, a brief discussion was had when I got home from work last night; I was put on the spot and picked longevity over black level.

The house will be getting the 55" Sony X900F, but my purchase has been pushed off into the indeterminate future...
As a result, now I'm looking at the UB820 so I can liberate my PS3.

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
To bring this post full-circle, my dad bought the TV with calibration from Value Electronics, and it was delivered earlier today. I did manage to snag a UB820 from Best Buy before they disappeared, and along with some appropriate certified HDMI cables from Monoprice, it was an early Christmas present to my parents...

(Mr.Shaky doesn't take particularly good photos, but there's a few snaps from my Pixel 3. Ignore the Christmas tree stage right.)

I remember hearing a lot way-back-when about how Crouching Tiger wasn't just a good movie, but also such a good demo for HD of the time... (yes, Superbit DVD)
zdayZ8E.jpg

hlB8RWE.jpg

DNrzDM2.jpg

Had to run a bit of Blazing Saddles through for some mental comparison; I was taken aback by how good it had looked on my PC screen (Dell Ultrasharp UW2412, calibrated)

Kppt1fw.jpg

1IToCAX.jpg

And a quick bit of (non-ultra) Netflix:
K7809sm.jpg

uByRUNK.jpg

This will do....this will do nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks