What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Frank Capra’s Oscar-winning screwball comedy It Happened One Night arrives on 4K UHD Blu-ray as part of Sony’s 6-film Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection, Volume 3.

It Happened One Night (1934)

Released: 22 Feb 1934
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 105 min

Director: Frank Capra
Genre: Comedy, Romance

Cast: Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert, Walter Connolly
Writer(s): Robert Riskin, Samuel Hopkins Adams

Plot: A renegade reporter trailing a young runaway heiress for a big story joins her on a bus heading from Florida to New York, and they end up stuck with each other when the bus leaves them behind at one of the stops.

IMDB rating: 8.1
MetaScore: 87

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Thanks for the review, Todd. I just pre-ordered this set from Amazon. Have had the Criterion DVD for a while, but I still have never watched the film. So many films, so little time…

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review. I love this film, First time I saw it was back in 1974 when Columbia offered a free marathon of many of their best pictures in honor of their 50th anniversary. "It Happened One Night" was the first picture. It started at midnight at the Boston Music Hall, now the Wang Theater. FYI the last film of the marathon was "The Odessa File", which was premiering. I didn't make it that far. The studio was founded in 1925 so the celebration was a few months early.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
From what Todd cited in his review, it’s based on the same underlying scan of the elements that has been newly remastered.

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
One of the best movies of the era. A must see. I have an old fuzzy DVD from a bargain bin, but this one might just require a purchase. Better start buttering up the missus.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Thanks Todd. This will look great projected. I've ordered the box today.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watching this now. The comedy still works! The pq is as good as can be expected for the era, but honestly sometimes it's poor. It varies widely from my pov from a B+ to a C-. My overall pq grade would be about a B-. The only movie from this time that would get an A+ for pq that I know about would be Ladies They Talk About from Warner Archive, but in that case they miraculously had the original camera negative to work with. Even though the remake sounds lackluster from the review, as a Jack Lemmon fan I'm looking forward to it.

happened one night.jpeg

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I think people of my age group must have seen it 100 times. Always playing on one of the local NY channels. Was surprised that its Radio City opening was a disappointment only running I believe one week. Not at all the smash that line up would suggest.
Then I read that during that week Gable was appearing live several blocks to the west on stage at the Capitol theater. Louis B Mayer was such a crafty SOB.

Cohn must have been livid. It's hilarious but unprintable what these moguls used to refer to each other as.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Heads up on the digital code redemptions for this title - none of the main services (Movies Anywhere, Vudu, Prime Video) offer the film with any kind of HDR and iTunes/Apple TV is only HD.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Received this set on Wednesday. I tried all of films except As Good as It Gets. They all look amazing. Even the remake You Can’t Take It with You looks great. The bonus disc contains the mini-series of From Here to Eternity. The Last Picture Show has the theatrical cut & director’s cut on separate discs, both in 4K.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I think people of my age group must have seen it 100 times. Always playing on one of the local NY channels. Was surprised that its Radio City opening was a disappointment only running I believe one week. Not at all the smash that line up would suggest.
Then I read that during that week Gable was appearing live several blocks to the west on stage at the Capitol theater. Louis B Mayer was such a crafty SOB.

Cohn must have been livid. It's hilarious but unprintable what these moguls used to refer to each other as.
But Gable won the Oscar for this ---- and hard to believe NOT GWTW! Spielberg bought the Oscar for 607K and donated to the Acadeny

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Received this set on Wednesday. I tried all of films except As Good as It Gets. They all look amazing. Even the remake You Can’t Take It with You looks great. The bonus disc contains the mini-series of From Here to Eternity. The Last Picture Show has the theatrical cut & director’s cut on separate discs, both in 4K.

From Here to Eternity also has a 1980 TV pilot, To Sir With Love has the 1996 sequel To Sir With Love II as well as a 1974 TV pilot, and Annie has the 1932 film Little Orphan Annie. As far as I can tell (I haven't spun the discs up yet), the extra movies are all in HD, even if they are on the UHD discs. I don't know if the TV pilots are in HD or SD. You certainly can't say that Sony has skimped on this set (or either of the other two).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Heads up on the digital code redemptions for this title - none of the main services (Movies Anywhere, Vudu, Prime Video) offer the film with any kind of HDR and iTunes/Apple TV is only HD.
I didn’t redeem my codes because of those issues.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The remake of It Happened One Night was You Can't Run Away From It. The title you stated is another Frank Capra Movie from 1938 which is not part of this set.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Although it's not as good as the original, I'm enjoying this remake in CinemaScope and Technicolor. Amusing and tuneful. It helps that I'm a fan of both Jack Lemmon and June Allyson. PQ is excellent, and looks fully restored from the OCN. From my pov the movie is a solid B+, and PQ is an A. As mentioned, this is the first of many great bonus features on this set. For Vol. 4 I hope Columbia/Sony keeps adding extra movies as bonus features.

autostop.jpg
You Can't Run Away From It.jpeg

Last edited:

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Although it's not as good as the original, I'm enjoying this remake in CinemaScope and Technicolor. Amusing and tuneful. It helps that I'm a fan of both Jack Lemmon and June Allyson. PQ is excellent, and looks fully restored from the OCN. From my pov the movie is a solid B+, and PQ is an A. As mentioned, this is the first of many great bonus features on this set. For Vol. 4 I hope Columbia/Sony keeps adding extra movies as bonus features.

View attachment 160197 View attachment 160198
Fantastic. My set arrived at start of week. Not looked at it yet. I had no idea these bonus films were included. Excellent news.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
From Here to Eternity also has a 1980 TV pilot, To Sir With Love has the 1996 sequel To Sir With Love II as well as a 1974 TV pilot, and Annie has the 1932 film Little Orphan Annie. As far as I can tell (I haven't spun the discs up yet), the extra movies are all in HD, even if they are on the UHD discs. I don't know if the TV pilots are in HD or SD. You certainly can't say that Sony has skimped on this set (or either of the other two).
Gave a look-over for all of the discs the other day. They all look good. As far as the TV pilots go, the appear to be in SD, despite being on BD or UHD discs. The FHTE TV mini-series and To Sir, with Love II TV movie are both in HD (and in their original 4x3 ratio).

It was interesting to note that the FHTE pilot re-used some of the cast from the mini-series, but appeared to do its own story, rather than pick up where the mini-series left off. The TS,WL pilot looks to be a disaster. I've always liked Hari Rhodes (who plays the Poitier character, but renamed), but it was evidently intended as a sitcom rather than a drama.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Gave a look-over for all of the discs the other day. They all look good. As far as the TV pilots go, the appear to be in SD, despite being on BD or UHD discs. The FHTE TV mini-series and To Sir, with Love II TV movie are both in HD (and in their original 4x3 ratio).

It was interesting to note that the FHTE pilot re-used some of the cast from the mini-series, but appeared to do its own story, rather than pick up where the mini-series left off. The TS,WL pilot looks to be a disaster. I've always liked Hari Rhodes (who plays the Poitier character, but renamed), but it was evidently intended as a sitcom rather than a drama.
A summary review of the set is forthcoming.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It’s a lovely, well-thought out and programmed set. Worth the investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks