What's new

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (December 22, 2017) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saw this today and it was a perfectly adequate piece of action/comedy. Nothing that sticks with you when it finishes but it's entertaining enough.

Though I could probably watch 2 hours of Karen Gillan and be happy!
I watched it on Monday with Movie Pass. I was entertained, but I won't be buying it on home video.

As to Karen Gillan, I just started noticing her from Guardians of the Galaxy films. In this film, she is much more attractive.:)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
There's not much to this movie, but it coasts on the charisma and comic timing of the cast. It's pretty damn funny, and I don't know if anyone ever envisioned Dwayne Johnson's pivot from second rate Schwarzenegger to bona fide comic actor. The kids liked it, so it's probably going to be on heavy rotation when it gets a home video release.

If you like Karen Gillan, binge the first and only season of Selfie. I still get a little sad when I'm reminded of its cancellation.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
There's not much to this movie, but it coasts on the charisma and comic timing of the cast. It's pretty damn funny, and I don't know if anyone ever envisioned Dwayne Johnson's pivot from second rate Schwarzenegger to bona fide comic actor. The kids liked it, so it's probably going to be on heavy rotation when it gets a home video release.

If you like Karen Gillan, binge the first and only season of Selfie. I still get a little sad when I'm reminded of its cancellation.
She is also one of Dr. Who’s sidekicks.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
She is also one of Dr. Who’s sidekicks.

That's how I first noticed her. I had no idea she was Nebula in Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 1 due to the heavy makeup. It wasn't until vol. 2 came out that I recognized the name.

And I think you could say that Dr. Who was one of her sidekicks. :D

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I finally watched this tonight and I have to agree with most of what has been written here. Adequate about sums it up.

The cast was mostly great, with the exception being Nick Jonas. Gillan and the Rock nailed it.

There were some good action scenes and a lot of laughs. Not at all a bad movie, but I missed the frantic, non stop pacing of the first film. I never felt any of these characters were in true danger.

When Allen Parrish re emerged from the jungle in the first movie, Robin Williams sold Jumanji as a deep, dark dangerous place. He was a savage, and paranoid after spending 20 years there. Compared to Seaplane who had been there 20 years but still looked civil, was very laid back. There is no way that was Allen parrish's tree house.

The whole film felt like a Hawaiian vacation rather than deepest dark Africa.

Ive watched Jumanji several times, and will continue to do so as it looks stunning in UHD.

While I liked welcome to the jungle, I don't see myself rewatching it very often.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is now Sony/Columbia's biggest domestic grossing film of all time, passing Spider-Man at $403.7 million (worldwide gross for Jumanji is $950.8 million).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I finally watched this tonight and I have to agree with most of what has been written here. Adequate about sums it up.

The cast was mostly great, with the exception being Nick Jonas. Gillan and the Rock nailed it.

There were some good action scenes and a lot of laughs. Not at all a bad movie, but I missed the frantic, non stop pacing of the first film. I never felt any of these characters were in true danger.

When Allen Parrish re emerged from the jungle in the first movie, Robin Williams sold Jumanji as a deep, dark dangerous place. He was a savage, and paranoid after spending 20 years there. Compared to Seaplane who had been there 20 years but still looked civil, was very laid back. There is no way that was Allen parrish's tree house.

Seems like "Jungle" played by a different set of rules. In the original, Williams' character aged while he was in Jumanji, but the Jonas character doesn't. He has no clue he's been there for so long...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Williams's character isn't aware of how long he has been in the game either. The first thing he does is start calling out to and looking for his parents when the kids roll the number that lets him out of the game.

Edit: Everyone is aged up in-game. The main difference is that in the first one the game is still running when Williams is brought back, as.an adult, to the real world. In the second one, almost everything takes.place in-game.

Last edited:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
The age thing didn't bother me. When both the board game and the video game ended all participants were deposited back at the same age as when they started. Since the game morphed from a board game to a video game I can buy the avatars and character glitches.

What bothers me is that Robin Williams was so terrified, and yet the newest version of Jumanji is not that scary. When seaplane said his weakness was mosquitoes my mind immediately thought of the giant mosquitoes from the first film, but instead we just see him slap his neck.

If the game has morphed to a modern tomb raider-esque action adventure game, fine. But then don't put Allen parrish's name on the tree house. Parrish in the first film was not played as a Robinson Crusoe type.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks