What's new

Looking for new DVD player with streaming for Prime video and netflix (1 Viewer)

1fixitman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dwayne
I currently have a LG BP350 Bluray play that has premium streaming services like Amazon Prime Video and Netflix. It works good for playing blurays. It does not work good streaming. The problem is it quits playing Amazon Prime Video and I have to cycle power to make it work again. It is an ongoing battle with this player and it is only maybe a year old. I need something that will stream Netflix and Amazon Prime Video with no issues. It does not have to be a bluray player. It just needs to function as a streaming device. The unit is not hot and I have tried with a small fan thinking it may be overheating but no matter what it skips and eventually stops playing and just gets stuck until I remove power cord and replace power cord. I can wire directly from the wireless router or I can use wireless to stream. I am just sick to death of this LG pos constantly having issues. I need something that works that has no monthly fee that can maybe get software updates. Just trying to make something work that has a remote for the TV in the living room. The current software update is up to date on the BP350. It just sucks at streaming Prime Video and netflix. I have no issues on my computer or phone with wireless on these services.....Only the bluray player. I do not want to spend crazy money. Just want an affordable option before I put a baseball bat thru this BP350 piece of junk. I will always use the BP350 for DVD/bluray. Please Advise and thank you for your time and consideration. I don't even know what term to search for for the device I am looking for. Please help me solve this with something that you guys/gals use and that works without freezing up and slow loading.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The streaming apps built into a lot of disc players aren’t great. If the disc player part still works, the usual recommendation is to add a dedicated streaming box like a Roku or AppleTV to handle the streaming.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Roku devices are very good streaming devices for the money. If you do not need 4K video support, a Roku Express will do the trick for $20 - $30 (including an HDMI cable), depending on whether it's on sale. Apple TV devices also work very well, but are much more expensive. Amazon sells their Firestick products, but I am not sure if you can access iTunes library via that device, if that is required.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The apps on disc players eventually don't get updated any more and hence become useless. You'll never have that problem with a dedicated streaming device. The Amazon Firestick is another cheap alternative that offers reliable Netflix and Prime apps that are updated on a regular basis.

1fixitman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dwayne
Thank you for replying. Will I have to pay a monthly fee for Roku, apple tv, nvidia or other boxes? I want to pay for a box. It would be nice to have bluetooth ability to get an upgraded remote. It would be nice if it had Ethernet. I do not want to pay a monthly fee to access Netflix or Prime Video. I am not a gamer. I watch a lot of movies and series along with a lot of youtube. I appreciate all input as I want to order something and get this issue resolved soon. I watched a few youtube videos on streaming boxes. That is how I found out about ethernet port and bluetooth remotes.

1fixitman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dwayne
Buy an Apple TV or a Roku for streaming.

But a new Blu-ray player for all your discs.

I know, it costs money for both.

But you'll be set and happy.
I am ok with money spent on boxes. Just want to minimize monthly fees. DVD player plays movies well. Thank you for your reply.

YANG

Screenwriter
look around for disc players from mainstream manufacturers that may have products that comes with Lan/WiFi connections for streaming Apps that came installed. However... mainstream brand products may have it's limitations as well. such as playback hiccups to some disc types or titles. some post multi region modded players are unstable with the region hacking as a single update could turn the set back to original factory production state.

back to streaming services...
most of the platforms that you know demands subscriptions for the system to work. in some markets, there are probably free contents, but how good could those attracts you, will be very subjective matter to talk about.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Streaming boxes don’t have monthly fees. You may be confusing it with DVRs like TiVo which do charge you to use their interface. We are of course assuming you weren’t talking about the subscription fees you already pay for Netflix and Prime.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to clarify, you are already paying for Prime and Netflix, aren’t you? If not, are you using someone else’s account? If that’s the case, you can use the same account if you have the access info.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You have many choices in regards to streaming devices, and I'm not aware of any that have monthly costs for the device itself. I would check out some reviews on a few of them, for each have pros/cons.

For example:
  • The AppleTV is a great streaming device, but some do not like the remote or the much higher price.
  • The Roku is a good entry price point but its interfaces seems a bit dated and apps seems to be slower to appear on them.
  • The Chromecast with Google TV has good reviews, I have no experience with it.
  • I happen to like the Tivo 4K Stream because of it's low price point and remote which I feel is superior to other devices. YMMV

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
For ethernet connection, you are looking at the following:

Roku Ultra (2020)

Fire TV Cube

Apple TV 4K

All three support HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR (Roku and Fire TV also support HDR10+) and have a wide array of streaming apps including Netflix, Prime Video, Vudu, Disney+, etc. All three also support Dolby Atmos on Netflix (or so I've heard regarding the Fire Cube - I have not personally tested or used that device). Roku and Fire TV *may* be updating their product line in the coming months.

Last edited:

1fixitman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dwayne
My brother has been researching this also and just ordered a Nvidia Shield Pro TV 4K HDR. I think he paid about 200$ He wants to check out Kodi. I will let everyone know what kind of results we have when it arrives. Thank you for every comment and post. I know a lot more about streaming devices now than I did just a few days ago.

Scott Voth

Stunt Coordinator
Roku devices are very good streaming devices for the money. If you do not need 4K video support, a Roku Express will do the trick for $20 - $30 (including an HDMI cable), depending on whether it's on sale. Apple TV devices also work very well, but are much more expensive. Amazon sells their Firestick products, but I am not sure if you can access iTunes library via that device, if that is required.
I've had range issues with my Roku Express in a front bedroom while my router is in the back bedroom. It was always buffering. I replaced it with a Amazon Firestick and the range issues went away.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've had range issues with my Roku Express in a front bedroom while my router is in the back bedroom. It was always buffering. I replaced it with a Amazon Firestick and the range issues went away.
I have never experienced such an issue with the Express units we owned, and they were on different floors than the Wi-Fi router.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
I'll second (or third?) the suggestions to buy a dedicated streaming device. I've had three or four players with streaming apps, and they were all terrible, as if the apps were an afterthought.

I have both a Roku Ultra and an Apple TV 4k and they're both good, but each has advantages and disadvantages.

The apps for the ATV are better in that they give a cleaner presentation (no popups or "next" garbage over the end credits) and the 4k version, at least, can be set to display the source's frame rate. But it's expensive, the remote is clumsy (though the new Siri remote looks better), and the home screen is clearly designed for looks rather than function.

The Roku Ultra is cheaper, sometimes on sale for $70, and while its menu looks like it was designed by Playskool, it's functional and customizable to a degree. Roku has an Apple TV app for your library and Apple TV+, if you have them. The newest Rokus also have a 10-second replay button and most apps can be set to display CC for the replay (I love that tool). But some premium apps for Roku have popups and/or darkened screens over the credits. The first time I watched The Suicide Squad, I turned off the movie by accident while trying to clear the credit-blocking garbage and missed the post-credits scene. Worse, I'd have had to wind all the way through from the start to get there again. My second viewing with the ATV was much better.

Both sets have voice activation and Ethernet ports. Both are fast to boot and respond, and both display 4k if source and bandwidth comply, but with some apps the Roku takes 30 seconds or so to finish buffering, showing a lower-grade picture in the meantime.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I do very little streaming these days, but I seem to have good luck with the Roku built into my TCL 55S535. I'm not sure if the Roku Ultra external box does a better job. The entire set was only $450. When my 4K disc player arrives I'll probably not use the streaming it offers.

1fixitman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dwayne
We got the Nvidia Shield Pro TV 4K HDR installed. It is really fast and the picture quality is amazing. We have watched several movies and other shows and it has not missed a beat. The Nvidia is only 8 feet from the router so I ran an ethernet cable from the router. lightning fast. No issues at all so far. Very happy with the performance and picture quality. A good solution. Thank you all for every comment. This is a good community.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
this happens to all streaming devices bluray player or standalones like roku, corporate fighting can get in the way. for example my older sony bx510 used to have amazon prime… but it disappeared one day after amazon and sony had a spat. i mean i never used it through player but if i didnt have anything else i would be mad.

roku/atv/nv take your pick they’ve all had their battles with (hbo for example) where sometimes they’ll pull access off to renegotiate fees. i mean it is no different than when things like nfl/superbowl are held hostage for cable vendors.

so if you’re really into live sports it can be a bit precarious due to corporate greed.

but by and large the standalones works better also bd players dont have special app access to things like criterion or kanopy etc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks