What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Looney Tunes BD Platinum 1-3 compared to DVD Golden Collection 1-6? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
If these are fully restored and pick up where the Golden Collection DVDs left off, without double dips but including whatever premiered on the Platinum Blu-rays, this could potentially be very exciting for collectors.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
As most of you know, back in 2010 we were suppose to see a BD WAC release of the censored 11 cartoons. It's 7 years later and nothing... Hopefully this will actually pan out.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
As most of you know, back in 2010 we were suppose to see a BD WAC release of the censored 11 cartoons. It's 7 years later and nothing... Hopefully this will actually pan out.
WAC wasn't doing Blu Ray in 2010 only DVD-R. Actually that was just a rumor unintentionally started by several animation websites when they stated that this would be good for WAC to release because they didn't go to retail stores where it would get more attention, that did make sense but there was never an official announcement. No actually commitment ever came from WAC on this release. When asked about it they said it was being considered but they did not know if it would be through WAC or WHV and nothing was confirmed. It is still a possibility for a future release but still not confirmed.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
My point was this has been discussed for a long time and I hope it finally happens! Thanks!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen

Not a chance. They don't even want to release those kind of cartoons in collections with completely different contexts (Tom & Jerry, Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, etc.) What makes you think that they would gather them all together into a package whose context is focused specifically on the cartoons they don't want to release? That makes no sense.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Because they have already been gathered and shown in one place. On April 24, 2010, a total of eight of the Censored Eleven were screened at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. It was part of the TCM Classic Film Festival.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The Devils has been screened a few times at the Egyptian over the last five years or so and there's still zero plans to let that film see the light of day on home video in the US. I wouldn't read much into screenings at the Egyptian.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I did a screening at the Egyptian myself. Organizers are free to create their own programs. It doesn't reflect any intent on the part of the studios.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
TCM is owned by Time Warner. Organizers can't just screen things and charge a fee without the owner/studio's permission. The rumor is we'll see something in the fall.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
A good clue would be whether they were screening film prints or HD digital transfers.

Crimsonrain

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Orton
I can’t belive that with the number of cartoons in the WB library that they had to double dip a single cartoon from the Golden Collection into the Platinum Collection. There was so much left out of the GC that they had plenty left over to fill the PC....even if you ignore the non Politically Correct cartoons.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I can’t belive that with the number of cartoons in the WB library that they had to double dip a single cartoon from the Golden Collection into the Platinum Collection. There was so much left out of the GC that they had plenty left over to fill the PC....even if you ignore the non Politically Correct cartoons.

I'm glad they did. The Blu-Ray versions are substantial improvements over their Golden Collection counterparts in terms of color, resolution and lack of compression artifacts.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Lol. The Golden Collections except Volume 1 were remastered in HD and used on the Platinum Collections. The inexpensive cost of porting those same files over is a large part of why the Platinums happened in the first place.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The Golden Collections have quite a bit of artifacting from compression and DVNR. They tried to put too much on each disc.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
A blu-ray set made up entirely of non-Golden Collection shorts would be a hard sell anyway. They pretty much unloaded all the popular ones on those sets.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Amazon has Volume 3 for $17.42, in case anyone was like me and looking for a deal on these. Remember to use the HTF link to Amazon so they get credit on the sale!

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I still do not own the Looney Tunes Golden Collection 6 box set . I have tried hard not to buy dvds anymore and strictly stick with blu-rays . I have all the LT blurays . I know there are still a lot of cartoons on the golden set that have not made it onto blu yet or if ever . Hoping maybe Warner Archives continued the series . I have to watch what I buy because of shelf space and just having too much stuff and no time to watch . I was thinking of buying the golden set but it sells for almost $100 on Amazon now . I'd prefer to buy from them that way if there fake I can return the set no problem . Now over at ebay there are sellers with 100% positive feedback that are selling it for $35 . Which I would gladly pay for this set but seems way to good to be true . (either its the junk fake ones made in china or it's the Canadian edition with the really bad packaging where most of the cases get cracked in shipping) . It's interesting that Amazon finally cracked down on the fake ones being sold on there which is probably why the price has gone up . Anyone have a suggestion ? Thanks

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I still do not own the Looney Tunes Golden Collection 6 box set . I have tried hard not to buy dvds anymore and strictly stick with blu-rays . I have all the LT blurays . I know there are still a lot of cartoons on the golden set that have not made it onto blu yet or if ever . Hoping maybe Warner Archives continued the series . I have to watch what I buy because of shelf space and just having too much stuff and no time to watch . I was thinking of buying the golden set but it sells for almost $100 on Amazon now . I'd prefer to buy from them that way if there fake I can return the set no problem . Now over at ebay there are sellers with 100% positive feedback that are selling it for $35 . Which I would gladly pay for this set but seems way to good to be true . (either its the junk fake ones made in china or it's the Canadian edition with the really bad packaging where most of the cases get cracked in shipping) . It's interesting that Amazon finally cracked down on the fake ones being sold on there which is probably why the price has gone up . Anyone have a suggestion ? Thanks
I don't know if this helps, but I saw the first two Golden Collections at Walmart a few days ago for $10 each. They're not in the slipcases; they're in newer, thinner clamshells, but you can't beat the price. I don't know offhand how many of the shorts off of the first two Golden sets didn't make it onto the Platinum releases.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't know if this helps, but I saw the first two Golden Collections at Walmart a few days ago for $10 each. They're not in the slipcases; they're in newer, thinner clamshells, but you can't beat the price. I don't know offhand how many of the shorts off of the first two Golden sets didn't make it onto the Platinum releases.
Here are wikipedia links for the Platinum Collections which show the shorts included and what, if any, Golden Collection also containing the short:

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3

After that it's a bit of work to distill the list to the Golden Collections. This link has links for each of those which list the shorts included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks