What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

McMillan & Wife complete series question (3 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
One of them looks like a low-budget/disc-reduced 12-discs version, where most likely it will have more episodes crammed per disc.

The other version appears to be the "normal" version with 21 discs, which has less episodes per disc. (This is the version I have).

VEI has a reputation for doing two different versions of their complete series sets, where the low-budget/disc-reduced second version typically has more episodes crammed per disc.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
One of them looks like a low-budget/disc-reduced 12-discs version, where most likely it will have more episodes crammed per disc.

The other version appears to be the "normal" version with 21 discs, which has less episodes per disc. (This is the version I have).

Good to know. Are you satisfied with your version?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I am.

Though one should be aware that VEI has lousy quality control on their disc manufacturing, especially their dvd sets released over 2012-2015. One should immediately check all the discs for manufacturing defects, either using a computer or actually watching through all the episodes before the amazon return/exchange time period has expired.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
To get around this lousy disc quality control problem, I only watch my VEI released sets on the computer connected to my tv via hdmi.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I never use my standalone dvd/bluray players to watch any of my VEI released dvds.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I saw some reviews (at least with the older, larger set) that mention quality issues. This is disconcerting.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I saw some reviews (at least with the older, larger set) that mention quality issues. This is disconcerting.

As far as I can remember, some of the disc menus had some strange behavior when I played the dvds on a standalone dvd/bluray player.

When I played the same discs on the computer, the menu strange behaviors were absent. It turns out computer software "dvd player" programs are somewhat more forgiving of shoddy (or lazy) menu authoring.

The picture quality was decent enough. No major complaints.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Reviving this thread. I am in the market for the McMillan and Wife complete series set too. I see that Amazon still has the two options available, the 21 disc set and the lower cost 12 disc. Plus a 24 disc set that includes the Snoop Sisters. I think I can do without the Snoop Sisters so the 21 disc set sounds pretty good.

Good to know about the quality issues with VEI. According to Amazon, the 21 disc set will ship from VEI so there’s shipping costs to be added.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I've had no issues with the larger set from VEI and am on my second time through the series. I got the one with the Snoop Sisters included and have found that to be a very pleasant diversion.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I, too, got the one with the Snoop Sisters series. It's a good set, but it's also more expensive than purchasing the 21 disc set and Snoop Sisters separately. I'd absolutely go for the 21 disc set, even with the extra ~$7 shipping.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Snoop Sisters" is a nice piece of rare 70s TV. The pilot film that has Art Carney instead of Lou Antonio is the strongest segment (and also has the last acting role of Paulette Goddard).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I, too, got the one with the Snoop Sisters series. It's a good set, but it's also more expensive than purchasing the 21 disc set and Snoop Sisters separately. I'd absolutely go for the 21 disc set, even with the extra ~$7 shipping.

Indeed-- when you get two shows for the price of one, it's very much a great deal.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Indeed-- when you get two shows for the price of one, it's very much a great deal.
I think you misunderstood... the 21 disc set does *not* include Snoop Sisters. However, that series *is* available separately for ~$20. The set that includes *both* McMillan & Wife and Snoop Sisters is 24 discs and currently selling for ~$20 more than the separate 21 disc McMillan & Wife set with the Snoop Sisters purchased separately. *Both* the 21 disc set and 24 disc set are OOP. The 24 disc set is coming from Amazon *or* MP vendors and VEI appears to be doing a close out of the few 21 disc sets they still have in stock (all other vendors of that one want quite a bit more than VEI's price, even with the added shipping - VEI also isn't offering the 21 disc set on their site - just the 12 disc version). The only set still in print is the 12 disc set which has higher compression and more episodes/disc - an inferior product all around.

When I made my purchase the 24 disc set that includes both series was the only thing available (I paid $43 for it at that time - a very good bargain).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I considered the 24 disc set, but it’s going for $73.42 at Amazon and there is a set on eBay for $55 including shipping cost added. I have no exposure to The Snoop Sisters though. So I was ok to pass on that.

edit: I just read the Wikipedia entry on the series. I see it starred Helen Hayes as one of the sisters. It does sound interesting. Maybe I’ll reconsider!

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Darn it, all this talk about this series is making me want to pull the trigger. As if I didn't have enough to buy already. :)

I love the pilot film (surprisingly funny and great locations) but was a little underwhelmed by the first few episodes of Season 1 I watched. Hmm...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
FYI, I found the 24 disc set on eBay at a decent price. What I found odd is the outer box is unsealed and each season cases inside are shrink wrapped. The seller confirmed for me that the outer box was opened to check the internal contents and the individual season cases are still sealed and the discs were never used. It seems odd to me that the dvd cases inside the box are sealed individually, if the outer box was sealed too. Maybe this was VEI standard practice? Or they packaged single season DVD cases into a box to sell.

I went ahead and bought that set and I look forward to receiving it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
FYI, I found the 24 disc set on eBay at a decent price. What I found odd is the outer box is unsealed and each season cases inside are shrink wrapped. The seller confirmed for me that the outer box was opened to check the internal contents and the individual season cases are still sealed and the discs were never used. It seems odd to me that the dvd cases inside the box are sealed individually, if the outer box was sealed too. Maybe this was VEI standard practice? Or they packaged single season DVD cases into a box to sell.

I went ahead and bought that set and I look forward to receiving it.
FWIW - I own a copy of that same set. All seasons inside the outer box (and a thick, nice, one to boot) were individually shrink wrapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hilogisticz
    Recent bookmarks