What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

McMillan & Wife complete series question (1 Viewer)

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
Would you do it if Emergency! got a Blu?
Absolutely! I remember Emergency! was streaming 4-5 years ago (I believe on Netflix, which I no longer subscribe to anyway) and those masters looked great; as I understand it the DVD set uses old masters that don't look so great so I haven't bothered to purchase it. Issue a Blu-Ray set with proper scans and I'll buy it right away.

I will also add I bought The Rockford Files complete series Blu-Ray last year, but haven't gone through it yet (as my to-watch pile continues to grow and grow). From what I've read, as a Mill Creek offering the set has some issues, but I decided it was time to show my support and buy a copy when I saw it on sale.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have The Rockford Files on blu ray too. I’ve seen a handful of episodes and it looks great. My main issue with it is the pilot episode uses the syndicated version. I picked up the DVD season that includes the complete pilot. While it doesn’t look as good on DVD, at least it’s complete. And like the Mill Creek blu ray set for Magnum PI, the pilot is also edited. So I picked up the Fabulous Films version for the intact pilot.

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
I have The Rockford Files on blu ray too. I’ve seen a handful of episodes and it looks great. My main issue with it is the pilot episode uses the syndicated version. I picked up the DVD season that includes the complete pilot. While it doesn’t look as good on DVD, at least it’s complete. And like the Mill Creek blu ray set for Magnum PI, the pilot is also edited. So I picked up the Fabulous Films version for the intact pilot.
It sounds like you're a completist like me; one of my issues with the Mill Creek blu-ray set is the lack of the original as-aired pilot movie. I'm still happy to have the Mill Creek set and the price was right at the time.

So just to be clear, I should search for the Fabulous Films DVD, season one (or complete set if I can't find season one alone)?

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
Mine is huge-- plenty of stuff to see, hardly enough time to see it.
Haha I know, it really is amazing what we have access to right now. I could make it a full-time job with what I currently own and it would probably be a few years to go through everything I have on the shelves right now, nevermind adding more. And I know this is the case for a lot of us!

Meanwhile my Kino Lorber cart is bursting with my wants from the current sale. . .just have to push that "buy" button before Monday. Decisions, decisions. . .

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like you're a completist like me; one of my issues with the Mill Creek blu-ray set is the lack of the original as-aired pilot movie. I'm still happy to have the Mill Creek set and the price was right at the time.

So just to be clear, I should search for the Fabulous Films DVD, season one (or complete set if I can't find season one alone)?
Tim, are you asking about the complete pilot for Magnum or Rockford? For Magnum, I sought out the Blu ray set from Fabulous Films which is an import. If you are asking for the pilot for Rockford, I sought out the Universal DVD second season release of The Rockford Files, based on feedback from the HTF members. I have not watched the Rockford Pilot from that DVD set to confirm it’s intact yet. But I have watched the Fabulous Films blu ray of the Magnum PI pilot and I know that is the original pilot with the original music.

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
Tim, are you asking about the complete pilot for Magnum or Rockford? For Magnum, I sought out the Blu ray set from Fabulous Films which is an import. If you are asking for the pilot for Rockford, I sought out the Universal DVD second season release of The Rockford Files, based on feedback from the HTF members. I have not watched the Rockford Pilot from that DVD set to confirm it’s intact yet. But I have watched the Fabulous Films blu ray of the Magnum PI pilot and I know that is the original pilot with the original music.
Sorry about that, yes I was more curious about The Rockford Files pilot, though I appreciate the info about Magnum P.I. (another series I will get back into eventually). I'll start with hunting down The Rockford Files, season two Universal DVD. If I learn anything while researching I'll let you know as well.

Also enjoy your McMillan & Wife set, I hope to carve out some time tomorrow and watch an episode myself.

Thanks again for the info.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
But on the DVD is it the original Rockford pilot as shown on NBC or the version released by Universal on VHS?
The original featured the same recording of the theme music as heard in the first season, the VHS version was newly recorded, possibly in stereo.
The original had the usual commercial breaks but the VHS version edited the breaks out to give the appearance of a movie. In some cases act ending or opening music was removed to make the commercial breaks less obvious. The freeze frame of Lindsay Wagner after Angel tells her Jim was in prison was also removed (it can be seen in the two-part version even though in that version it no longer was at a commercial break.)
The music that immediately follows the freeze frame (which originally started the next act) was also removed from VHS.

I would suspect that since Universal already restored this version for VHS they would use it for DVD without restoring it again. I wouldn't call the VHS version "complete."

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Meanwhile my Kino Lorber cart is bursting with my wants from the current sale. . .just have to push that "buy" button before Monday. Decisions, decisions. . .

Why does it have to be before Monday-- is that when the sale ends?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Absolutely! I remember Emergency! was streaming 4-5 years ago (I believe on Netflix, which I no longer subscribe to anyway) and those masters looked great; as I understand it the DVD set uses old masters that don't look so great so I haven't bothered to purchase it. Issue a Blu-Ray set with proper scans and I'll buy it right away.

I've felt the opposite way about it-- I purchased the all-in-one (complete series) DVD, because the show itself (the only Mark VII/Universal show I've ever seen in full on DVD) was what was appealing (regardless of the tech faults); even with those tech faults, it won me over easily (because at least I wasn't having to deal with commercials out the yin-yang), and is a staple in my collection (that doesn't mean I won't get a Blu later if it comes out).

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
I've felt the opposite way about it-- I purchased the all-in-one (complete series) DVD, because the show itself (the only Mark VII/Universal show I've ever seen in full on DVD) was what was appealing (regardless of the tech faults); even with those tech faults, it won me over easily (because at least I wasn't having to deal with commercials out the yin-yang), and is a staple in my collection (that doesn't mean I won't get a Blu later if it comes out).
I completely get where you're coming from. I enjoy Emergency! but I have a bit of dissonce with the technical faults when I know they could do better. At the same time I could be waiting for a Blu-Ray that's never going to happen.

I had the same issue with Hogan's Heroes, I remember that show being in constant reruns back when was I a youngster in the 70's/80's and had an interest in it in recent years, but I never pulled the trigger with the DVDs. When it was issued on Blu-Ray in late 2022 I bought that set and have enjoyed watching that very much, knowing that it's in the best quality we'll ever see (outside of a full restoration which is never going to happen, nor does it really need to).

With that said I just checked the market for the Emergency! complete series set on DVD and there's a few on eBay new/sealed just under $30.00 with free shipping, from what look to be reputable sellers, so I'm tempted, you just might be talking me into it. I don't remember seeing the price that low (for reference it's $55-$56 on Amazon and Target, and Wal-Mart has it at $38). I did stream it quite a bit when it was available. I've added three to my watchlist, maybe one of the sellers will make me an offer I can't refuse!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Tim, Erich, I pulled out the Rockford Files second season DVD set and watched the pilot film. It actually looks quiet good for DVD. if I have time, I’ll compare it to the Blu ray version.

As Erich said, the pilot on the DVD set appears to have the commercial breaks edited out. The film starts differently than the syndicated version. The original starts with an aerial view of Los Angles and pans and zooms down to the red convertible and then the bus. The music is a slightly slower version of the TV theme. Later there is a scene with Dennis Becker and his superior telling him the case is a cold one and to close it, then we see a close-up of the filing cabinet drawer showing closed cases. Then The Rockford Files title is superimposed over the filing cabinet drawer. And later, when Angel says to Sara that he and Rockford were in prison, there is no freeze-frame of her face, then jump cuts to her house.

So while this is an edited version, at least it’s more or less the TV film. The end credits does have the TV theme. Though it sounds slightly like a different version. I haven’t see an episode in a while, so I’ll check one out to compare.

Then back to McMillan and Wife. :)

AlohaTiger

Auditioning
Real Name
Frankie
I completely get where you're coming from. I enjoy Emergency! but I have a bit of dissonce with the technical faults when I know they could do better. At the same time I could be waiting for a Blu-Ray that's never going to happen.

I had the same issue with Hogan's Heroes, I remember that show being in constant reruns back when was I a youngster in the 70's/80's and had an interest in it in recent years, but I never pulled the trigger with the DVDs. When it was issued on Blu-Ray in late 2022 I bought that set and have enjoyed watching that very much, knowing that it's in the best quality we'll ever see (outside of a full restoration which is never going to happen, nor does it really need to).

With that said I just checked the market for the Emergency! complete series set on DVD and there's a few on eBay new/sealed just under $30.00 with free shipping, from what look to be reputable sellers, so I'm tempted, you just might be talking me into it. I don't remember seeing the price that low (for reference it's $55-$56 on Amazon and Target, and Wal-Mart has it at $38). I did stream it quite a bit when it was available. I've added three to my watchlist, maybe one of the sellers will make me an offer I can't refuse!

Tim , pretty much everyone of those are gonna be bootlegs . If it’s sealed especially. If it’s open , it’s a crapshoot . The only ones not gonna be bootlegs are the ones that are the original single season releases . The best way to get a real set is gonna be from Amazon sold by Amazon Or Target, Wal-Mart, etc. Even then you want to check disc size and make sure it’s 7-8gb not 4-5gb. People will return a sealed boot to Amazon and Amazon will return it to its stock if it’s unopened. I have extensive experience buying and selling TV on DVD sets on EBay. They are not the HD prints that were shown a few years ago. most seasons are remastered but a few aren’t . Good Luck!

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
Tim , pretty much everyone of those are gonna be bootlegs . If it’s sealed especially. If it’s open , it’s a crapshoot . The only ones not gonna be bootlegs are the ones that are the original single season releases . The best way to get a real set is gonna be from Amazon sold by Amazon Or Target, Wal-Mart, etc. Even then you want to check disc size and make sure it’s 7-8gb not 4-5gb. People will return a sealed boot to Amazon and Amazon will return it to its stock if it’s unopened. I have extensive experience buying and selling TV on DVD sets on EBay. They are not the HD prints that were shown a few years ago. most seasons are remastered but a few aren’t . Good Luck!
Thank you. After I posted on this thread, I went and found Ben's thread that he started late last year (great thread Ben):

We all have our blind spots and I really didn't think Emergency! would have a big enough market to trigger bootlegs but here we are in 2024; I really should know better.

On eBay I was looking at one with the 2021 copyright year, and another with the cover that lacks any fine print or copyright info on the back but has a big fireball to the lower left. Both are sealed, though inspecting the pictures on both auctions the plastic wrap doesn't look right (slightly dull and saggy, not shiny and tight). I didn't consider any auctions that used stock photos.

To add to the mess, as I look at Amazon and Walmart those sets are sold from third-party sellers with a stock photo or two while Target just shows one stock photo; all use the cover with the big fireball and no fine print on the back of the box.

Maybe my best option is to hunt down the single season sets. . .especially if they are the same masters and disc quality as the later (legitimate) box sets.

AlohaTiger

Auditioning
Real Name
Frankie
There are boots out there that you cannot tell unless you have a real set next to it side by side and only then sometimes it’s the disc themselves , ie printing is off. Sometimes it’s the cases used. The only true way to know is the gb size. Don’t go by PQ bc some real ones really are that bad. All real ones are gonna be in the 7-8 gb size not 4-5gb.
I think some of these boot companies get ahold of empty real box sets somehow and fill them with the boot discs as I have had some boots that were identical to the real thing by comparing them side by side in front of me.
The thing I’ve learned is , whatever it is, if it can make money , there will always be a market for fakes.
The big epik multi disc all in ones tend to be real unless someone replaces the discs with fakes. I haven’t come across any fake epik pack ones yet and I’ve had most of the classic tv on dvd ones at one time or another. I chose that style of packaging on purpose bc of the space saving feature as i had so many sets that I was running out of room in my very small room.

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
Tim, Erich, I pulled out the Rockford Files second season DVD set and watched the pilot film. It actually looks quiet good for DVD. if I have time, I’ll compare it to the Blu ray version.

As Erich said, the pilot on the DVD set appears to have the commercial breaks edited out. The film starts differently than the syndicated version. The original starts with an aerial view of Los Angles and pans and zooms down to the red convertible and then the bus. The music is a slightly slower version of the TV theme. Later there is a scene with Dennis Becker and his superior telling him the case is a cold one and to close it, then we see a close-up of the filing cabinet drawer showing closed cases. Then The Rockford Files title is superimposed over the filing cabinet drawer. And later, when Angel says to Sara that he and Rockford were in prison, there is no freeze-frame of her face, then jump cuts to her house.

So while this is an edited version, at least it’s more or less the TV film. The end credits does have the TV theme. Though it sounds slightly like a different version. I haven’t see an episode in a while, so I’ll check one out to compare.

Then back to McMillan and Wife. :)
Thanks for the update Nelson! I found a used copy of the season two DVD on eBay last night so I'll take a look once it arrives, plus that will give me an excuse to open up my Blu-Ray set.

I'll use your notes as a reference. It sounds like this is not quite the original movie as aired but most likely it's the best were going to get, especially if they couldn't hunt through the vaults and add the original as-aired version for the Blu-Ray set.

And yes back to our regularly scheduled McMillan & Wife; I look forward to discussing that!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Maybe my best option is to hunt down the single season sets. . .especially if they are the same masters and disc quality as the later (legitimate) box sets.

If that's what you think best, then one other note before we go back on-topic is in regard to the first- and second-season releases: look specifically for the keepcase versions of those (first with four discs, second with six), because the original first- and second-season releases had doubles (double-sided discs), and the keepcase first- and second-season releases will have everything uniform (all seasons in keepcases).

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
There are boots out there that you cannot tell unless you have a real set next to it side by side and only then sometimes it’s the disc themselves , ie printing is off. Sometimes it’s the cases used. The only true way to know is the gb size. Don’t go by PQ bc some real ones really are that bad. All real ones are gonna be in the 7-8 gb size not 4-5gb.
I think some of these boot companies get ahold of empty real box sets somehow and fill them with the boot discs as I have had some boots that were identical to the real thing by comparing them side by side in front of me.
The thing I’ve learned is , whatever it is, if it can make money , there will always be a market for fakes.
The big epik multi disc all in ones tend to be real unless someone replaces the discs with fakes. I haven’t come across any fake epik pack ones yet and I’ve had most of the classic tv on dvd ones at one time or another. I chose that style of packaging on purpose bc of the space saving feature as i had so many sets that I was running out of room in my very small room.
I have read on this forum about how well done the bootlegs are, it's amazing. The technologies available to the bootleggers has increased (as it has for everything else) so I guess it makes sense the fakes are that much more complicated.

Most of my collection has come from well-known sources, but I'm going to start checking the discs now just for my own knowledge. Just popped in two discs from my Mannix box set that I'm currently enjoying and it says 8.04GB & 8.05GB so it looks like I'm good with that set, but I'll keep verifying as I move through different shows and what not.

Interesting thoughts on the packaging and the Epik packs (had to look that up but I did find a website for that: https://www.johnsbyrne.com/solution/media-packaging/) so I'm learning more.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts.

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
If that's what you think best, then one other note before we go back on-topic is in regard to the first- and second-season releases: look specifically for the keepcase versions of those (first with four discs, second with six), because the original first- and second-season releases had doubles (double-sided discs), and the keepcase first- and second-season releases will have everything uniform (all seasons in keepcases).
The good thing is that I'm in no rush to make a quick buy, so I can wait until I find something that makes sense. And what you just wrote adds to the complication! I had no idea they would put these on two-sided discs but things were so different in the simple, long gone days of 15-20 years ago :biggrin:.

I just checked Gruv.com (owned and operated by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment) and they're selling the complete series with the 2021 copyright, fine print on the back of the box, and 09/21/21 release date for $39.99, so that might be the way to go to ensure I get a legitimate set at a decent price. I don't believe I've bought from them in the past (I'll have to double check), so if I sign up for emails I can also get 20% off my first order and snag it for $32.00. We may have solved this puzzle after all!

To celebrate I might just go enjoy my Sunday night with a McMillan & Wife viewing, just like people did way back in the 70's during the original run. Back on track at last!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks