What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Mill Creek to distribute hundreds of Disney properties on DVD, and Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Things are going to get messy at Disney shareholders not happy https://restorethemagic.com/ Using park revenue to cover streaming losses etc meanwhile their films are not being released on vid in any sensible way their classics etc this Mill Creek deal is not getting any fans on the board Peltz wants change -- love that site RESTORE THE MAGIC!
"Disney" is DIsney, Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, Disney +, theme parks, ESPN, movies, TV, Hulu, etc. etc. Home video releases of obscure vintage productions isn't going to move the needle and restore Disney's former glory. The entire business has been altered because of the pandemic and of changes in viewing habits. Listening and reading to any podcasts or trade news stories about Disney center on those MAJOR business units and what they are facing. There's a reason Disney is dumping this stuff to a third party. And third parties are small operations.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
"Disney" is DIsney, Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, Disney +, theme parks, ESPN, movies, TV, Hulu, etc. etc. Home video releases of obscure vintage productions isn't going to move the needle and restore Disney's former glory. The entire business has been altered because of the pandemic and of changes in viewing habits. Listening and reading to any podcasts or trade news stories about Disney center on those MAJOR business units and what they are facing. There's a reason Disney is dumping this stuff to a third party. And third parties are small operations.
Disney was a mess long before Covid they will dump ABC they will dump ESPN as they raise the park prices less will go and in time new management will reinvigorate the Mouse look at Universal using now a few firms to release their films same with Paramount we have ClassicFlix in the game VCI doing well too SHOUT too and hearing of steaming losses - why do you think shareholders ask of SOTS yearly THEY want assets to be utilized thats why they hold stock seems streaming is not the white night to save the day and yes if they release quality product they will make money

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Disney was a mess long before Covid they will dump ABC they will dump ESPN as they raise the park prices less will go and in time new management will reinvigorate the Mouse look at Universal using now a few firms to release their films same with Paramount we have ClassicFlix in the game VCI doing well too SHOUT too and hearing of steaming losses - why do you think shareholders ask of SOTS yearly THEY want assets to be utilized thats why they hold stock seems streaming is not the white night to save the day and yes if they release quality product they will make money
You're entitled to your opinion. But what you are stating about ABC and ESPN run contrary to the most recent reporting on what Disney will do for their future business strategy. To get back on topic before RC interjects, this Mill Creek deal is in line with many other deals taking place in the business, where largely moribund assets can make some money via licensing because the parent company is focused on higher ROI strategic priorities.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
TBH while the whole deal is disappointing to those of us in the hobby who want unreleased shows or upgrades, at least Disney is licensing them out so out of print library titles can be repressed. They could just as well have let them gather dust in the vaults as the value ages out as we all die. Mill Creek will get the titles back in retail outlets and for less than what they went for back in the day.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
TBH while the whole deal is disappointing to those of us in the hobby who want unreleased shows or upgrades, at least Disney is licensing them out so out of print library titles can be repressed. They could just as well have let them gather dust in the vaults as the value ages out as we all die. Mill Creek will get the titles back in retail outlets and for less than what they went for back in the day.
We'll see?

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
The Mill Creek deal is a minimal effort project from both sides. If it allows picking up formerly out of print titles fans may not have purchased that otherwise would go missing, then that’s not a bad thing. It’s barely adequate of Disney, but considering their recent track record thank heaven for small favors.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Still, Mill Creek did produce a rather nice Rita Hayworth Ultimate Collection of 12 titles not long ago that included my long desired blu-rays of Salome, Loves of Carmen and Fire Down Below along with several already released HD reissues. It was a welcome set for me and to my eyes looked pretty damned good. Just wish it would be possible to expand on this with various sets containing HD versions of (my beloved) titles like Story of Ruth, Naked Maja, Virgin Queen, Esther and the King, Prince of Players, Bird of Paradise, White Witch Doctor, Foxes of Harrow, Snows of Kilimanjaro, Son of Fury, That Lady in Ermine, Come to the Stable and Princess of the Nile perhaps by genre. Upgraded Fox musicals, noirs, comedies etc. could create endless sets as well. Of course most of these and many more have all been "previously released" by Fox Cinema Archives on DVD. Maybe they were already scanned in HD at that time. One can dream, I suppose.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It's already been confirmed this will not contain any actual Disney product (like 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea) nor will there be any new to DVD/blu ray/UHD titles. This will be reissues of previously released titles, many of which have already been released by Kino.
And previously released by Mill Creek. This is essentially the same deal Disney had before they moved over to Kino. The Kino deal has ended, so many of these titles are now going back to Mill Creek.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm very curious as to what TV shows will be released by Mill Creek. Like I said earlier I don't think they will revisit The X-Files on BD, but I'm hoping for Lost in Space as the packaging for that series was abysmal.

I don't know how deep they are going to go with the Fox TV on DVD/Blu releases, because so many are out of print

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'm very curious as to what TV shows will be released by Mill Creek. Like I said earlier I don't think they will revisit The X-Files on BD, but I'm hoping for Lost in Space as the packaging for that series was abysmal.

I don't know how deep they are going to go with the Fox TV on DVD/Blu releases, because so many are out of print
One issue I have is no upgrades, no restorations...only a regurgitation of what titles they deam fit to print. And only in the exsisting formats so dvd is still dvd, and bd is still going to be bd. Pretty much a nothing sandwich. The only bright spot on this turd is aquiring something that was oop for your collection, Yipee!!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
One issue I have is no upgrades, no restorations...only a regurgitation of what titles they deam fit to print. And only in the exsisting formats so dvd is still dvd, and bd is still going to be bd. Pretty much a nothing sandwich. The only bright spot on this turd is aquiring something that was oop for your collection, Yipee!!
That is the only thing in this deal that makes it interesting. Luckily TV on disc is sort of my main hobby, so I might be the only one on the planet that benefits from this.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Just wondering if the Columbia titles Mill Creek upgraded in their Rita Hayworth blu-ray set came from HD scans that were brought down to 720x480 for the DVDs. If that's the case then I'm all in for the upgrades as the Hayworth set looked just fine to me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Just wondering if the Columbia titles Mill Creek upgraded in their Rita Hayworth blu-ray set came from HD scans that were brought down to 720x480 for the DVDs.

Most likely. Sony has been mastering their titles in at least HD resolution since the beginning of the DVD era, over two decades ago.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Just wondering if the Columbia titles Mill Creek upgraded in their Rita Hayworth blu-ray set came from HD scans that were brought down to 720x480 for the DVDs. If that's the case then I'm all in for the upgrades as the Hayworth set looked just fine to me.
They looked more than just fine to me. They were fully up to Sony's usual exemplary standard.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
They looked more than just fine to me. They were fully up to Sony's usual exemplary standard.
Were they from existent HD scans is the big question to me, besides the fact that Disney must have the highest quality HD scanners available anywhere. Why not just fire them up and open the vault on those wonderful classic Fox titles they now own?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Were they from existent HD scans is the big question to me

As I said above, most likely - Sony has been mastering titles in HD for a couple decades. They were smart enough to understand HD broadcast and home video was coming and started future proofing very early.

If you have any DVDs from Sony in your collection, check out the grid on the back of the case with the technical specs - you’ll almost always see the text “Mastered in high definition” printed there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks