What's new
World Wide Stereo

Mixing speaker Impedances (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Scott
I'm not too happy with the sound of my center channel so I'm thinking about upgrading. My current speakers are all 8 ohm. Some of the centers I'm looking at are 4 ohm. I have a Denon AVR-X3000 receiver. Is it possible to run a 4ohm center with the rest of the speakers being 8ohm? I recall there's just a single 4/8ohm switch in the back. Ideally, I'd love to replace all the speakers with an upgrade, but I just paid over $600 for a new sub and there's my wife.... Trust me as a married man. It will be much smarter for me to do this piecemeal and I'll be able to get better stuff this way vs buying it all at once!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
4ohm speakers aren't a good idea with any receiver, really. Changing a switch to 4ohm just cuts back on the power available, and with most receivers you set it for all the speakers, so I wouldn't generally do that for one speaker, unless the receiver is shutting down at high volume. The fact is, receivers just aren't made to drive 4 ohm speakers. That switch they have does protect the receiver, but you lose a lot of power. It just protect the receiver from overheating. It depends a lot on how loud you play things. Sorry to go around in circles, but it's kind of a "six of one and half dozen of another" type of situation. My main system is made up of all 4 ohm speakers, which is part of the reason it uses separates. A preamp/processor and external amps instead of a receiver.

If you have specific questions, I can provide more specific answers.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Often the problem with the center channel is just that the level is too low, which makes dialog difficult to understand. You can turn it up manually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks